BIG UPDATE! as of 1/27 NHL will make ANOTHER NEW proposal to the PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
I think a new proposal would bring closure on this either way. If it gets rejected.. bam season done.. or of course it gets accepted.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
ceber said:
Ok, then after you verbally agree, someone needs to draft up a complete proposal that can be signed.
Which would mean that they've got an agreement that goes beyond 'in principle,' otherwise they wouldn't draft up a proposal to be signed.

Keep in mind, the only "source" I've seen that talked at all about new "agreements" has been Eklund. Haven't all the media outlets just reported meetings? Forget about Eklund for a bit. If you ignore his stuff this sounds like very good news to me.
Agreed. I hope that this is good news, but I'm not getting those hopes too high.

SharkGirl27

Jan 23, 2005
San Jose, CA
Bennysflyers16 said:
A deal in principle does have a lot of grey area. The grey area of a deal in principle never includes one side bringing a new proposal to the other. It's pretty basic, bringing a new proposal to the table means that the key points were not agreed on, and one side is altering their stance on key points and offering that to the other side. A deal in principle already has keys point agreed upon, there is no need for one side to bring a new proposal to the table.

I tend to disagree a bit. Let's say most things were agreed upon, I think the league would still call it a proposal, because if they called it a contract, we would all be peeing our pants with excitement, when the chance of it being rejected is still possible.

I am as skeptical as anyone on here that a deal will actually happen in time to save this season, especially since I'd almost rather have the season start next season because I have gotten rid of some serious debt not spending money on hockey this year, and I know if they do work something out I will be going crazy trying to figure out how to get to as many eastern conf. cities as possible to see the Habs play, but if the sources are correct and there is going to be a new "proposal" that could just be the terminology that they have chosen to use. The deal in could be agreed upon in principle but the players want it in writing first to go over it with a fine comb so to speak. Could also be that was the lead the reporter got that the NHL was drafting something up that will be presented at the next meeting and the thing they were drafting up was the agreed upon contract?

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
HABSoluteDMB11 said:
The deal in could be agreed upon in principle but the players want it in writing first to go over it with a fine comb so to speak. Could also be that was the lead the reporter got that the NHL was drafting something up that will be presented at the next meeting and the thing they were drafting up was the agreed upon contract?
That is certainly possible. And if that's so, then it is like I said before, god awful reporting. The entire nation of Canada and millions of Americans are hinging on this, you've got to be damn sure what your reporting is as accurate as possible.

B-MEL

Mar 25, 2002
La Habra, CA
Visit site
ceber said:
What do they sign if there is no formal proposal? I think maybe the word "new" is tripping some people up. It's new because it's different from the last formal proposal. Doesn't mean it's different from what was discussed in the most recent meetings.

Exactly!!

What if the story said "Final" Proposal instead of "New"... Everyone would says it's 100% negative and the season is canceled. New, Final, Modified, What the hell would make you think any different?

Deal in Principle can very well have been aggreed on and the NHL has now formally gone back to the Board of Governors, got a straw vote, put in concessions and whot could be "Deal in Priciple" matterial and presents it to the NHLPA for them go go over and either aggree, or ask for modifications.

It's Called "Negotiating".

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Dr Love said:
You clearly were taking a shot at me that I was implying that Sportsnet and 590 are correct and blogs are incorrect. Keep playing your games if it suits you. Sportsnet and 590's sources say one thing. Some bloggers with sources say something very different. A number of posters here are more willing to believe one over the other. Maybe people should take a step back and breathe.

I don't see any real evidence that the bloggers know what they're talking about; in fact, Eklund's almost always wrong.

To take the point further, I don't see any evidence that the hard/soft cap 40/50 proposal that everyone's talking about really exists. Sometimes the blogs leak into the mainstream press and vice versa, so all the "sources" are just repeating what they've heard from somebody else who got it from ... a blog or a reporter. It's one big echo chamber where an idea gets a life of its own, but the idea has no basis in fact.

I hope I'm wrong.

blah

Jun 24, 2003
NJD Jester said:
While I keep my fingers crossed...

Here's the deal on Eklund -- he's most likely someone who is getting information from a source. Now, who that source it, who knows? But perhaps being that this is a blogger and not, say, Kevin Paul Dupont, his crap detector isn't quite as effective in figuring out the B.S. from the truth. Plus, he seems to print every shred of information sent his way (if he's not making it all up, which I don't buy that he is).

I think the people who have a beef with this guy have one because they expect what he writes to have some facual basis, when in fact he's the Matt Drudge of the NHL. (And Eks, if you're reading this and steal that last line as your slogan, I want some -- ahem -- "cost certainty" headed back my way.)
Eklund is most likely a fake. IIRC he's the one who came up w/ the Pronger to Philly rumors at last season's trade deadline that I had so much fun with.

This guy has been posting crap that never happens on Philly boards for awhile, and was chased away from just about all of them a couple months ago. Now he's resurfaced w/ a blog and is having a field day messing w/ anyone who reads his nonsense. For Flyers fans who know of him watching all of you go back and forth about him is pure comedy.

GODARD49

Jan 27, 2005
I just called my Islanders Representitive and he told me that they are meeting today but didnt know anything else........wtf atleast he could of lied to me and said dont take out your money there gonna make an agreement....

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Benji Frank said:
My thoughts exactly. There's been alot of give and take over the last couple of weeks. Sooner or later it's gotta become formal. The owners formalized it and will meet in New York to ensure that's what the PA understood was agreed to ... hopefully they then cross the t's and dot the i's and open the doors.

That to me, sounds like they've worked out an agreement in principle....... :)

Of course, I may have missed the boat entirely on this one..... :D :D

I totally agree that there may be some sort of well-crafted dance going on, but I'm worried that it appears to be a league proposal that's next on the table. If there was some elaborate, face-saving dance going on, I would think the players would be saying that the owners have to accept one of the players' proposals. So I'm a little worried.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Son of Steinbrenner said:
how come tsn doesn't have anything? is sportsnet a crediable source?

sportsnet said mclaren and lapointe to the avs for tanguay and skoula was a done deal...i don't recall that ever happening, sadly

smileymcadam

Feb 11, 2003
A happy place
Visit site
Juni said:
OK, so if nobody's been saying anything, and very few/nobody knew where they were meeting yesterday, who or what are these 'sources' Sportsnet and FAN590 claim to have which backs up this news? There's not a solid quote from anyone suggesting a proposal is coming.

Brian Burke said on TSN on Wednesday the league would make a proposal by Friday. No reason to doubt the proposal is coming. Lots of reason to doubt stupid blogs that have no clue.

Jaysfanatic*

Sportsnet is the worst media outlet we have.....they jumped the gun on Amonte signing with the Rangers, never happened. They said Nieuwendyk signed with the Devils again, it didn't happen. They are always so negative on their broadcasts, and on their websites. I go with TSN.

Vomiting Kermit*

Devilsfanatic said:
Sportsnet is the worst media outlet we have.....they jumped the gun on Amonte signing with the Rangers, never happened. They said Nieuwendyk signed with the Devils again, it didn't happen. They are always so negative on their broadcasts, and on their websites. I go with TSN.
Sportsnet >> The Score

davidwii

Jan 20, 2005
Good Lord. I'm getting so tired of reading about how no progress was made. They have met, what....a cumlative 15-20 hours and no progress was made. I understand this is just a bunch of BS...but still. Its like a used car salesmen telling you they can't lower the price anymore of they won't be able to feed their family...

Do they really think we believe they have met and CONTINUE to meet and no progress is being made WHATSOEVER??? IDIOTS!!!!

I will be so glad when this week is over, for good or for bad. Bring it back or Bring it down...just BRING IT!!!!

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Guys, guys. If you hold the sound of rhetoric down to a dull roar, you can almost hear the sounds of hockey very nearby. Say about two or three weeks away...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
davidwii said:
Good Lord. I'm getting so tired of reading about how no progress was made. They have met, what....a cumlative 15-20 hours and no progress was made. I understand this is just a bunch of BS...but still. Its like a used car salesmen telling you they can't lower the price anymore of they won't be able to feed their family...

Do they really think we believe they have met and CONTINUE to meet and no progress is being made WHATSOEVER??? IDIOTS!!!!

I will be so glad when this week is over, for good or for bad. Bring it back or Bring it down...just BRING IT!!!!

Some people just can read between the lines I guess, some think they're meeting 15-20 cumulative hours, just for sh*ts and giggles...

blah

Jun 24, 2003
Awkward silence and the answer to Chinese or Italian do consume a lot of time.

davidwii

Jan 20, 2005
417 TO MTL said:
Some people just can read between the lines I guess, some think they're meeting 15-20 cumulative hours, just for sh*ts and giggles...

Look, I have no thought in my mind that believes they are just meeting for sh*ts and giggles. I understand reading between the lines... But it comes down to a point where its insulting as a fan...IMHO

I'm not stupid...there is obviously shiznit going on behind closed doors. And again, no one here knows anything really. We can all sepculate about the goings on until the cows come home. But one thing we all have in common is the fact that every single person has the same chance at predicting the outcome to this thing as each other....and that is the fact there is a 50/50 shot each of us will be right....

It just gets tiresome. I understand that things like that are released for posturing in the media. But I does just get tiresome...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad