Big open ice hit from Sweden

hockeystud938

Feb 21, 2005
wow that was an awesome hit looks clean to me haha had to of hurt tho lol o well its hockey part of the game

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
For those of you saying that he didn't need to hit him that hard... I don't see how you blame the guy for that... you hit as hard as you can, to make sure you take your man out of the play... HOWEVER... I strongly disagree with everyone claiming that this hit was 100% legal... he commited to the hit well before the other guy touched the puck. I would've at least called 2 minutes for interferance or charging.

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
Clean as can be!

It looked clean to me. If fact that the player was trying to do a somewhat of a Canadien edge towards the checker didn't help. Maybe next time he will keep his head up. Here's a tip....always keep your feet moving! If he would have been skating, rather than coasting, he might have had better control. Nice check!

Head coach

sleb

Dec 26, 2005
with polarbears
Clean. Too bad the other guy got injured (did he?), yet he is as responsible as the hitter. None and all to blame, but the fact remains: clean and hard hit!

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The problem that I have with the hit is that he went for the head. Was it intentional? Maybe, maybe not but the guy was in a very vulnerable position and he took a run at his head.

The second replay is telling. It basically show's the ref's point of view. It looks really nasty - like a vicious elbow to the side of the head. So it's easy to see why he would make the call. From the other replays, yes it looks like a "clean" hit by NHL rules.

But weather a hit is clean or legal isn't the only thing we should be looking at. As players get bigger and stronger the potential for serious injury increases. Should a player be allowed to blind-side an opponent and clobber him in the side of the head with his shoulder (all but assuring a concussion, or worse)? I have a real problem with that.

I'm not saying that this was the Swedish player's intention, but when you intentionally go looking to maim someone, even if it's "within the rules" you should be penalized.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
The thing is that in the playoffs in the previous season it was the other way around between these two so there could be some payback even do both have a very good reputation as clean players. I dont think Enström the Modo player skated around looking for M.Johansson but when he saw what would happen he made sure the hit connected with full force. I was at the game and when it went down I was very upset, one of our best players down on the ice like that, and when I heard that it was Enström my blood started to boil but when I came home and saw the highlights on TV I changed my take on the hit. It is really a very good hit, body against body but unlucky "Matte" got his head in between. We will play them agains next season... ;)

Muck

Apr 17, 2006
oilers_guy_eddie said:
The NFL doesn't allow linebackers to kill receivers who are extended to catch a pass.

Not sure where you got your information but that is incorrect. As long as a backer, DB, or DL doesn't hit the receiver before the ball gets there it doesn't matter how the receiver is positioned.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
oilers_guy_eddie said:
The NFL doesn't allow linebackers to kill receivers who are extended to catch a pass.
I think Wayne Chrebet might disagree about the existence of this supposed rule. Once the reciever touches the ball, he's fair game for a clean hit, no matter how hard the hit. It's the QB's job not to lead the reciever into a situation where the reciever will get hammered in a compromising position.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Clean as could be! That referee should be fired for making a call on it. What the hell did he even call?....5 Minutes for checking a player in open ice?

Muck

Apr 17, 2006
romba said:
I think Wayne Chrebet might disagree about the existence of this supposed rule. Once the reciever touches the ball, he's fair game for a clean hit, no matter how hard the hit. It's the QB's job not to lead the reciever into a situation where the reciever will get hammered in a compromising position.

Exactly, romba.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
FLYLine88 said:
Clean as could be! That referee should be fired for making a call on it. What the hell did he even call?....5 Minutes for checking a player in open ice?

The ref did nothing wrong really since checking to the head is not legal in the SEL and he thought it was a check to the head so he did what he thought was right. Then what we think about it is another thing.

illogic

Apr 12, 2005
Looked to me like the guy didn't have control of the puck. Instead of going for the loose puck, the guy in white delivered the hit. I don't know the rules in Sweden so I can't say whether it's legal or not.

Sock Monkey

May 4, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Muck said:
Not sure where you got your information but that is incorrect. As long as a backer, DB, or DL doesn't hit the receiver before the ball gets there it doesn't matter how the receiver is positioned.

That statement is right on the money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad