OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: I'm Already Sick of Holiday Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
:laugh:

That would be sweet

I actually moved a while ago, and still have my house. It is right by the Squirrel Hill Tunnels. I am holding off putting it on the market until this gets decided. Property values could go nuts, especially those who have good access to town and to whichever location(s) Google would put their offices.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I actually moved a while ago, and still have my house. It is right by the Squirrel Hill Tunnels. I am holding off putting it on the market until this gets decided. Property values could go nuts, especially those who have good access to town and to whichever location(s) Google would put their offices.
yeah, I should look in to buying sooner than later

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Not sure if this is the place to talk about it, but the bids are in for Amazon's second HQ.

'Moody's ranks Pittsburgh fifth on a list of the top 10 metro markets in the bidding for the second headquarters.

Austin, Texas, tops the list, followed by Atlanta, Philadelphia, and Rochester, New York.
They ranked the cities based on such things as credit ratings, tax policies and economic incentives.

But when you factor in geography, Moody's officials say Pittsburgh shoots to No. 2 on the list.'

http://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...tential-to-land-amazon-headquarters/625593684

I kind of think that sports give the city a nice edge. Especially hockey. The NHL, and especially the Pens, would be very attractive to an outfit like Google with lots of young employees. The outdoor activities from several ski resorts to white water rafting and on and on, rivers with lots of potential, I just do not get what Austin would have over us. Add to it that Texas would give Google another western orientation and I am liking the chances. Just imagine what would happen to this town if they moved in. Almost everything would change. The Nuttings likely still would not spend money, but everything else.

I'd be shocked if they come to Pittsburgh given how notoriously unfriendly the city is to prospective businesses. Don't get your hopes up.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
It's so ridiculous how expensive it is to stream junior hockey. If I wanted the entire CHL it would be $900 plus tax so over $1000 for the year. It's $300 per league. Most of the streams are awful too.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The amazon bid is interesting, I wonder where they'd put their new headquarters building. They'd probably want it downtown, but I'm not sure where downtown it would go. Maybe they'd put it on the North Shore?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If Pittsburgh goes and gets expensive before I can buy a house here, I'll be quite annoyed.

It doesn't bother me on men, but I just really hate the way that most Northern and Midlands accents sound on women.

The Brummie accent is just horrid on anyone. One of my cousins has recently developed one and it makes my skin crawl. If I ever become World Emperor and lose all human decency, I will stamp that accent out.

The Northern accents are fine though, apart from Scouse.

I might be one of the few brits that hates soccer. When I was a kid, I kept shoulder checking kids so my parents took me out of soccer and put me in hockey, then later rugby in high school and american football.

I just liked hitting people in sports.

This sounds familiar. Except I'd hack at people's shins rather than shoulder checking them. Fortunately I went to a rugby school, so all was good.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
If Pittsburgh goes and gets expensive before I can buy a house here, I'll be quite annoyed.

The Brummie accent is just horrid on anyone. One of my cousins has recently developed one and it makes my skin crawl. If I ever become World Emperor and lose all human decency, I will stamp that accent out.

The Northern accents are fine though, apart from Scouse.

I don't even consider Scouse to be an accent, more a speech impediment.

My aunt is from Coventry and I love her dearly, but it's necessary to remind myself of all the nice things she'd done for me anytime I have a conversation with her.

Godspeed on your quest.

Reactions: Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Question for anyone, has anyone done a trip to the Atlantis resort in the Bahamas? I'm looking to go there with a couple friends over spring break, but I'm not sure how much stuff would cost there.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Question for anyone, has anyone done a trip to the Atlantis resort in the Bahamas? I'm looking to go there with a couple friends over spring break, but I'm not sure how much stuff would cost there.

Stuff like what? Booze, food? Typical higher end resort (over)pricing.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Microlects and dialects are awesome. I like how the Black Country keeps a lot of OLD, Old English words. :laugh:

On a related note, one of my Russian linguist colleagues at Chicago was fascinated by Pittsburghese since Russian doesn't really have dialectical variations like you get in English. He would always pop by my office and ask me to say random things. :laugh:

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
The city is replacing all the water mains in my area, just popped home between clients to find, well, I now have no street :laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Microlects and dialects are awesome. I like how the Black Country keeps a lot of OLD, Old English words. :laugh:

On a related note, one of my Russian linguist colleagues at Chicago was fascinated by Pittsburghese since Russian doesn't really have dialectical variations like you get in English. He would always pop by my office and ask me to say random things. :laugh:

The thing that wows me is all the tales of people from north England who can make themselves understood in Iceland and Norway when they use their local dialect. That's crazy cool to me. I tried learning Icelandic once, that sounds nothing like the English I now.

And I find it really weird that a country the size of Russia doesn't have a bunch of variation.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

We have it here as well. Two Islands, one in Maryland and one in Virginia have a variation of Old English that Shakespearean scholars from England come here to study as it derives from a period and brand of Old English that Shakespeare would recognize:

Smith Island, Maryland:

'British settlers arrived on the island in the 17th century, arriving from Cornwall, Wales,[4] and Dorset via Virginia.[5]
Smith Island is inhabited by one of the region's oldest English-speaking communities, which is known for its relic accent, preserving speech patterns from the original English colonial settlers. The local dialect is like the dialects of the West Country of England and the dialect of Cornwall. The dialect contains some relict features indicative of its origins.[6] The dialect is like the Ocracoke Brogue,[7] sometimes referred to as the Outer Banks Brogue.[8][9]
The Island Belle was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.[10]'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_Island,_Maryland

Tangier Island, Virginia:
'Many who live on Tangier speak a distinctive dialect of American English,[7][8] which scholars have disputed as derived from a 17th Century English lexicon and phonetics. Linguist David Shores has noted that, while it may sound like a British variety of English, the dialect is a creation of its own time and place off the eastern shore of Virginia.[9] The persistence of this dialectal variety is often attributed to the geographic isolation of the population from the mainland. Tangier Island is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.[10]'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangier,_Virginia

Last edited:

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
We have it here as well. Two Islands, one in Maryland and one in Virginia have a variation of Old English that Shakespearean scholars from England come here to study as it derives from a period and brand of Old English that Shakespeare would recognize:

Smith Island, Maryland:

'British settlers arrived on the island in the 17th century, arriving from Cornwall, Wales,[4] and Dorset via Virginia.[5]
Smith Island is inhabited by one of the region's oldest English-speaking communities, which is known for its relic accent, preserving speech patterns from the original English colonial settlers. The local dialect is like the dialects of the West Country of England and the dialect of Cornwall. The dialect contains some relict features indicative of its origins.[6] The dialect is like the Ocracoke Brogue,[7] sometimes referred to as the Outer Banks Brogue.[8][9]
The Island Belle was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.[10]'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_Island,_Maryland

Tangier Island, Virginia:
'Many who live on Tangier speak a distinctive dialect of American English,[7][8] which scholars have disputed as derived from a 17th Century English lexicon and phonetics. Linguist David Shores has noted that, while it may sound like a British variety of English, the dialect is a creation of its own time and place off the eastern shore of Virginia.[9] The persistence of this dialectal variety is often attributed to the geographic isolation of the population from the mainland. Tangier Island is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.[10]'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangier,_Virginia

Bloody colonials

Reactions: Peat

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Some nitwit is arguing with me that the NBA has parity and that is why the NBA is so fun to watch (I’d literally rather watch the Kardashian weirdo’s for an entire day than watch a day’s worth of NBA games).

I was like ok, so the same 2 teams 3yrs in a row and then 2yrs before that, the same 2 teams in a row is “parity”….?

Basketball is fun to play to warm up before I hit the weights. Boring as hell to watch.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
In the off-season, if you took the Golden State Warriors to win the west, parlayed with Cleveland Cavaliers to win the East you wouldn't even double your money. That tells me all I need to know about parity in the NBA.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
The girl I'm talking to likes reading, so I sent her a Dick pic:

OhIx3j5.jpg

If that doesn't get a laugh, she doesn't deserve me.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I usually don't mind supernatural, it is what it is, probably should have ended a while back but I still watch. I think this new season, Dean is just a dick. A piece of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad