OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: I'm Already Sick of Holiday Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
For the first time in my life, the US wont be at the World Cup. Soccer was always my first sport, so its going to be strange. I never expect them to win it or even go that far, but it was always part of the experience.

We like to whine and complain about Bylsma or Tomlin, but big bad US just lost to a country with the population of Maine due to questionable tactics and a poor roster.

Sjoelbak

Oct 5, 2015
Leiden, Netherlands
For the first time in my life, the US wont be at the World Cup. Soccer was always my first sport, so its going to be strange. I never expect them to win it or even go that far, but it was always part of the experience.

We like to whine and complain about Bylsma or Tomlin, but big bad US just lost to a country with the population of Maine due to questionable tactics and a poor roster.

Try being Dutch right now. Second major tournament in a row we're missing...

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Yeah, but that's the same as the Netherlands and hockey. We were only present in the 1980 Olympics. Football is our biggest sport, so this is a national disgrace (or at least treated as such)

Hey, you guys have Daniel Sprong ;)

But, yeah, soccer isn't that big in Canada, so it is expected that we miss the World Cup. However, with our population and our money, it is pathetic that we don't at least qualify once in a while... especially considering that soccer is the most played sport in Canada. Development is shit though. We didn't have real academies until 10 years ago when TFC joined the MLS. Now, we have IMFC, TFC and VWCFC + a few D2-D3 ones. It will get better and I would expect us to be a threat to qualify in the next 10 years or so.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Try being Dutch right now. Second major tournament in a row we're missing...

Yeah, thats rough. What happened? So much talent on that side.

But, yeah, soccer isn't that big in Canada, so it is expected that we miss the World Cup. However, with our population and our money, it is pathetic that we don't at least qualify once in a while... especially considering that soccer is the most played sport in Canada. Development is **** though. We didn't have real academies until 10 years ago when TFC joined the MLS. Now, we have IMFC, TFC and VWCFC + a few D2-D3 ones. It will get better and I would expect us to be a threat to qualify in the next 10 years or so.

In hindsight, it is a little weird that Canada hasnt qualified at least every few cups. But then again, the US and Mexico SHOULD be shoe ins for CONCACAF with everyone else playing for third.

Sjoelbak

Oct 5, 2015
Leiden, Netherlands
Yeah, thats rough. What happened? So much talent on that side.

Well... The talented generation (Robben, Sneijder, Van Persie, Van der Vaart) is old and/or over the hill, and the younger generation doesn't live up to the expectations. Combine that with bad coaching choices (defensive minded coaches who have been tried before or are over the hill as well, such as Blind, Hiddink and Advocaat), and it's a recipe for disaster. It was a miracle that Van Gaal managed to get a thrid place with a mediocre squad at the last World Cup. We don't have a proper striker, or a proper defence. What the Dutch team needs is either a foreign coach, or Peter Bosz (who led Ajax to the Europa League final last season).

But, yeah, soccer isn't that big in Canada, so it is expected that we miss the World Cup. However, with our population and our money, it is pathetic that we don't at least qualify once in a while... especially considering that soccer is the most played sport in Canada. Development is **** though. We didn't have real academies until 10 years ago when TFC joined the MLS. Now, we have IMFC, TFC and VWCFC + a few D2-D3 ones. It will get better and I would expect us to be a threat to qualify in the next 10 years or so.

Yeah, and hockey is so big over here that I know everyone who worked with Sprong over here personally :laugh:

The way up for your football programme is a proper youth programme. Give it a few generations, but you'll get there. Base it on Ajax's model, I'd say.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm a fan of Bahn Mi.

Good lord, bahn mi is the Prince of Sandwiches. The ones with pate AND pork slices are my favorite. One of the t0p 10 best street foods, IMO.

banhmi.jpg

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I have a love/hate relationship with Chinese food.

I love eating it but hate that due to the MSG I end up in a coma after eating it.

The other day I had chicken fried rice and some soup from my fave Chinese restaurant here and predictably passed out after eating it.

For 10 hours..... :laugh: :help:

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
So super random. I'm a Coyotes fan in AZ and i'm in the process of selling a car to Derek Clancey, your head of pro scouting, and he and i have been emailing one another. I finally brought up the fact that I know who he is based off his name/email signature and we briefly spoke about my team interest and he pretty much told me the Coyotes suck :laugh::laugh:

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
What the Dutch team needs is either a foreign coach, or Peter Bosz (who led Ajax to the Europa League final last season).

That ship has sailed, I'm afraid. He's doing extremely well at Dortmund and I wouldn't be surprised if he's coaching at an even bigger club in a couple of years. Definitely go for a foreign coach. With that said, I think moreso than coaching, the biggest issue is that you just aren't producing talent the way that you used to. As you mentioned, Robben, Van Persie, et al are past their primes and the successive generations have failed miserably at producing anything of note. I was looking back at those brilliant Dutch youth sides from ~7-8 years ago and it's astonishing how nobody lived up to their potential.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Love "Yer So Bad", might be my favorite Petty song.

Did anyone see Frankie Muniz doesn't remember being on Malcolm in the Middle? Nine concussions and a multitude of mini strokes. Scary.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Love "Yer So Bad", might be my favorite Petty song.
Great song from Full Moon Fever. I remember as a little kid jamming to that album all the time. That song always confused me about the guy having his head in the oven. lol, funny how you learn about things.

I didn't even know they made a music video for the song until years later.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Man, Vietnamese food is great. Yinz are missing out. Pho is god's own hangover food. And I love some good bun cha or bahn xeo.

There was a great pho place near my friend's place. We'd go do martial arts, then eat pho, then talk comics.

Then the bastard moved. Man, I haven't had a good pho in way too long. And by too long I mean... four months?

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Started to feel shitty last night during the game and yes, I wake up with a sore throat and the start of a cold. f***ing great :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad