OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Red Pandas > Shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
That toilet scene in the 1st one still haunts me.
it's so beautiful

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Fallout 3 and 4 sucked too imo, so no argument here :laugh:

And lets see cyberpunk live up to the hype before handing them the crown. They've done well so far though, no doubt.

What I really want is for someone to finally nail the combat in one of these big action rpgs. It ruins most of them for me, and imo holds the best back from being really great. Give me dnd style party combat like Baldur's gate or Kotor, legit turn based combat like jrpgs or tactics type games, or give me good action combat like devil may cry or Bayonetta. The Witcher and some others do well enough to still be great games, but games like fallout 3 or Skyrim are just not worth playing because the combat is so bad imo.

I have no doubts that most games won't meet the hype leading up to it just because certain features ultimately will have to be cut back/scaled down in the finished product, so I could see Cyberpunk being less than expected. But overall, I trust CDPR to deliver an awesome game with the complexity of The Witcher 3 but in a cyberpunk setting. The stuff they were able to do with the story in TW3, including ridiculous detail in most side quests, makes me think they'll do even better in Cyberpunk.

Speaking of KOTOR, I still wish they'd make KOTOR 3. That was my favorite Star Wars game BY FAR. KOTOR II less so, but still good.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Speaking of KOTOR, I still wish they'd make KOTOR 3. That was my favorite Star Wars game BY FAR. KOTOR II less so, but still good.
I would still gladly buy a re-cut version of The Old Republic where they used those characters, worlds, assets, etc, but turned into a legit single player game. Hell, even a few single player games. That game had great stories buried under 1000 tons of MMO garbage. So yeah, I guess THAT is my personal most upsetting example of a series moving to online, ugh. Sadly EA has completely killed Star Wars gaming since getting the license.

The good news is that Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin are both two very solid cRPG franchises that have come in to fill that void. Though I still do prefer the somewhat modernized style of Kotor and the first Dragon Age. I wish Dragon Age didn't drift away from that style too.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I would still gladly buy a re-cut version of The Old Republic where they used those characters, worlds, assets, etc, but turned into a legit single player game. Hell, even a few single player games. That game had great stories buried under 1000 tons of MMO garbage. So yeah, I guess THAT is my personal most upsetting example of a series moving to online, ugh. Sadly EA has completely killed Star Wars gaming since getting the license.

EA is obsessed with MP. It's literally the reason all those BioWare games that were fantastic single player RPG games shifted their focus to MP and shooter type games. Mass Effect went from a great SP game where stats determined whether you hit or missed, to basically a shooter with bare bones RPG elements.

The weird thing is there's just not many good Star Wars game. That's a setting that's just screaming for awesome games -- lightsabers, spaceship combat, "magic" characters in Jedi, etc. -- it should be a game developer's dream. Yet since KOTOR, it's been largely underwhelming.

The good news is that Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin are both two very solid cRPG franchises that have come in to fill that void. Though I still do prefer the somewhat modernized style of Kotor and the first Dragon Age. I wish Dragon Age didn't drift away from that style too.

I played the original PoE, but haven't bought Deadfire yet. I'm waiting on the PS4 version this winter. PoE was decent, but IMO, it fell short of meeting the Baldurs Gate/Planescape Torment level of quality. From what I've read, Deadfire's done a better job of it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
EA is obsessed with MP. It's literally the reason all those BioWare games that were fantastic single player RPG games shifted their focus to MP and shooter type games. Mass Effect went from a great SP game where stats determined whether you hit or missed, to basically a shooter with bare bones RPG elements.

I didn't play Andromeda, but I actually really liked ME2. I'll be honest, if a game is going to let me aim like it's a shooter, I'd rather it just deal with hitting and missing as if it was a shooter. Otherwise, give it Kotor style combat imo. It's the games that get themselves in a weird middle ground between action and RPG that I don't like, and I felt like the first ME had more of an issue with that than the 2nd.

The weird thing is there's just not many good Star Wars game. That's a setting that's just screaming for awesome games -- lightsabers, spaceship combat, "magic" characters in Jedi, etc. -- it should be a game developer's dream. Yet since KOTOR, it's been largely underwhelming.
Yeah, it doesn't make sense. Well, it does because EA is almost always terrible.
I played the original PoE, but haven't bought Deadfire yet. I'm waiting on the PS4 version this winter. PoE was decent, but IMO, it fell short of meeting the Baldurs Gate/Planescape Torment level of quality. From what I've read, Deadfire's done a better job of it.
I haven't played the 2nd yet either. Agreed that the first isn't as good as Baldur's Gate or PST, but that's a tough measuring stick. I'd say PoE is a good game while those two are all-time greats. I wish they didn't stick so faithfully to the old style honestly. I would really like some UI and control type improvements at least. Divinity did a better job with that imo. I want it to feel like the old style of RPG, but I don't actually want it to feel like an old game.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I didn't play Andromeda, but I actually really liked ME2. I'll be honest, if a game is going to let me aim like it's a shooter, I'd rather it just deal with hitting and missing as if it was a shooter. Otherwise, give it Kotor style combat imo. It's the games that get themselves in a weird middle ground between action and RPG that I don't like, and I felt like the first ME had more of an issue with that than the 2nd.

I was referring more to what happened with ME3. They added a MP component, and they stripped down the RPG elements and story to play out more like an action game compared to the previous two games in the series.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Anyone ever buy games through GOG.com? It seems legit but it's almost too good to be true, so I figured I'd ask.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I have one of the Witcher games, not sure which one, likely #2, I've never started it and I honestly think I bought the game thinking it was something else, it's still packaged somewhere around here.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I have one of the Witcher games, not sure which one, likely #2, I've never started it and I honestly think I bought the game thinking it was something else, it's still packaged somewhere around here.
the first is really clunky to play, the 2nd is solid, the 3rd is waaaay better than either.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
the first is really clunky to play, the 2nd is solid, the 3rd is waaaay better than either.
When I bought it, I thought it was some Fable type of game, didn't bother with it because of it since I lost the receipt and EB Games is horrid to deal with.

Now I am curious.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

The first's graphics remind me of Neverwinter Nights. The story is much better than Neverwinter Nights, though.

The second game was pretty cool because of the branching paths and how it was like an entirely different game depending on which path you took.

The third was basically the ideal combination of open world exploration with really, really good individual stories (the side quests were phenomenal).

Reactions: Ogrezilla

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
I just started playing Witcher 3. I've never made it more than a couple hours into an RPG because I always get overwhelmed and confused but I definitely like the look and writing so far.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
yeah it's all digital PC games. But you don't have the link to any service like Steam or uplay or Origin. Once you download the game, it's yours. You get all of the install files etc on your PC, unlike those other services.

I have a ROG laptop at home, I don't think I've ever actually used it for what it was intended for though, I might buy a game on the cheap and see how that goes.

Curious, if I could connect my PS4 controller to the laptop via bluetooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad