OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Choppin' Broccoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I was watching Top Gun today and you know what, I do this every time after I see it, but man Iceman is a dick. He's the reason Goose dies, that moron and his ego could have moved away much sooner but he didn't want Maverick to have the shot so last second he bails and they get caught in the jet wash.

#RipGoose #neverforget

Iceman is indeed a dick.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I was watching Top Gun today and you know what, I do this every time after I see it, but man Iceman is a dick. He's the reason Goose dies, that moron and his ego could have moved away much sooner but he didn't want Maverick to have the shot so last second he bails and they get caught in the jet wash.

#RipGoose #neverforget

Top Gun gets less fun the day you realize Iceman gets someone killed and Maverick actually is dangerous. That whole, he has ptsd or whatever and heroically overcomes it thing? Never should have happened. Him not following the rules? Kind of a big deal.

I’m surprised that’s what the Navy didn’t have a problem with.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
She's always been a good character actor though, like I don't remember a time Allison Janney wasn't a well respected character actor. She's not a lead at all, but she's the female J.K. Simmons.

Off the top of my head, I remember her being pretty damn good in:

The Hours
Juno
The Help
Away We Go
Tallulah
The West Wing (series)
The Girl on the Train.
Sun Dogs.

I think she could play a very very good villain in an HBO/Showtime show or movie. That would be awesome. She's always been hilarious.
Fair. Let me rephrase that. I hope she is in more things that I am going to watch :laugh: I do love West wing though.

Maybe the better thing would be for me to go watch the stuff she does :laugh:

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Was looking at my twitter and realised I, for some reason, was following the Pirates. Back in 2016 I noticed in error in something they posted and they said they'd send me a t-shirt as a thanks. They never sent it. :laugh:

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Booked my Statue of Liberty tickets yesterday, finally going to make it to the top of that bitch :laugh:

Also, Mother wants to go to the Rockefeller so booked Top of The Rock tickets, got the confirmation page after booking but never got the email confirmation. Called them this morning and she resent whilst I was on the phone, nothing! Gave her a different email (Yahoo) and there it was 10 seconds later. Bloody Gmail.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
This movie is also incredibly long.

MARTHA!

Oh, I'll stop fighting you now because our mothers have the same name.

So ****ing stupid.

The Martha part is so bad but it’s the funniest part of the dceu. They f***ing have Lois there to de-escalate things without that random crap. It wasn’t even like they’d stupidly written themselves into a corner and had nothing to stop the fight. Lois literally rushes in to explain Martha.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I had a job interview on the other day. It's and extra 10-30k a year in a city that's probably 20 to 30% more affordable than where I am now (Toronto vs Calgary). It would mean moving to a place where I don't know anyone, but I'm single with no kids so I can do that. The work would be much more satisfying than what I do now. I'm inclined to say yes if I get an offer.

What do my anonymous internet friends think?

Reactions: DegenX

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I had a job interview on the other day. It's and extra 10-30k a year in a city that's probably 20 to 30% more affordable than where I am now (Toronto vs Calgary). It would mean moving to a place where I don't know anyone, but I'm single with no kids so I can do that. The work would be much more satisfying than what I do now. I'm inclined to say yes if I get an offer.

If you think you'd like the job and it would improve your financial situation, it's be hard to pass up. But then moving to the other side of the country, away from friends and family could be tough. So could giving up the 'amenities' of a city like Toronto. If your the sort who makes friends easily and your interests line up with what's available in Calgary, then I'd say go for it.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

The good thing is you can always go back. You do spend a lot of time at work so if it’ll make you happier that’s always a good thing. It’s alway best to have that work/life balance. I’ve heard Calgary is a fun place for singles and the Rockies are so close too.

Read this today which maybe somewhat helpful. The examples aren’t exactly your situation but might help use the factors that mean more.

Reactions: Sideline

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Calgary certainly more picturesque and their housing market is not as f***ed up as Toronto. All you can do is try it.

When I left the UK I actually wanted to go to Edmonton, visited and loved the place. Small enough to have everything and the Rockies on the doorstep.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Thanks guys. That distinction bias thing is actually a pretty cool way to think about it. Degen hit the pros and cons I'm weighing and Clare hit on the biggest things pushing me towards Calgary.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Go for it, unless you really love your current job (which I’m assuming you don’t) then you can always see what this new place is like, worst case scenario come back to TOR. The pay bump is significant enough to give it a try in my opinion.

Who knows, your current job might value you enough that they offer to match your pay— if that’s something you’d consider.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Thanks guys. That distinction bias thing is actually a pretty cool way to think about it. Degen hit the pros and cons I'm weighing and Clare hit on the biggest things pushing me towards Calgary.

Yeah average house price in Calgary is 430,000. Toronto is 730,000. With the pay difference it’s pretty significant.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
@Sideline What's the family situation like? The main reason I'm in Pittsburgh is to help my parents when they need it since I'm pretty much their only family. I'm assuming there's direct flights from Calgary to Toronto if/when you need it.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
the degree to which post-Nolan DC movies have dropped the ball with such great characters is almost impressive.

Even the Nolan movies had their fair share of issues (the third, especially), but they had outstanding casts and Nolan is particularly skilled at directing actors so it wasn't a big deal. The other thing is that the Nolan movies weren't trying to shoehorn in characters from other movies to create an asinine "universe". There is no reason for Gal Gadot to be in Batman vs. Superman. Please, just confine her to the Wonder Woman movies so I can ignore them and skip her wooden acting.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Sideline

May 23, 2004
@Sideline What's the family situation like? The main reason I'm in Pittsburgh is to help my parents when they need it since I'm pretty much their only family. I'm assuming there's direct flights from Calgary to Toronto if/when you need it.
My parents are actually on the east coast. My dad is not well, but they have siblings and nieces/nephews in the area for anything that couldn't wait for me to get on a plane. If there was good work there I would do it, but it's just not an option without taking a massive pay cut and doing pretty tedious work.

Reactions: Tom Hanks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad