Im the guy next door
Ok, take a look at this:

Ron Francis
Keith Primeau
Chris Gratton
Chad Kilger
Joe Thornton
Jason Spezza

They was all big center from OHL and have a great last season in OHL in their draft year. And they was all in the top 5 pick in their draft year.

Im have been jumping on Eric Staal bandwagon lately as I think he will be the next great big center from OHL. But my question is, what separate him from being the next Kilger or Gratton instead of the next Francis or Thornton?

Thx ahead for any input.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Roberto Luongo said:
Ok, take a look at this:

Ron Francis
Keith Primeau
Chris Gratton
Chad Kilger
Joe Thornton
Jason Spezza

They was all big center from OHL and have a great last season in OHL in their draft year. And they was all in the top 5 pick in their draft year.

Im have been jumping on Eric Staal bandwagon lately as I think he will be the next great big center from OHL. But my question is, what separate him from being the next Kilger or Gratton instead of the next Francis or Thornton?

Thx ahead for any input.

One Word: ATTITUDE

Kugel

Oct 16, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Roberto Luongo said:
Ok, take a look at this:

Ron Francis
Keith Primeau
Chris Gratton
Chad Kilger
Joe Thornton
Jason Spezza

Thx ahead for any input.
what about eric lindros?

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Both Kilger and Gratton had only average skating (for NHL) and needed alot of work on their defensive games.

Stall is a good skater even at the NHL level and his defensive game is excellent for someone his age.

p.s. Thornton's defense sucked his draft year but his skating is way above average and is offensive skills were easily the best of that group (possible exception of Spezza who's skating was way better than widely reported also).

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Douggy said:
I think Patrick O'Sullivan will turn out better than Eric Staal. *runs for cover*

Ouch. Just ouch.

I'm as big of an O'Sullivan fan as you'll find due to the fact that he lists his hometown as Winston-Salem, NC. That also means i've had more than a passing interest in watching his development in comparison to other prospects.

This is the basic gist of it as far as i'm concerned. While O'Sullivan does have a great deal of natural skill, he's not nearly as composed as Staal and he's quite undersized at his natural center position. I'm already ready for the, "Martin St. Louis", comeback from a lot of people here, but it's one exception to an otherwise size dominated position, being a forward. While O'Sullivan probably gets the better of Staal in pure goal scoring talent, Staal walks away with every other aspect of the game as far as i'm concerned. Vision, passing, playmaking, defense, discipline, work ethic, and all the intangibles. Also, i'm worried about O'Sullivan being able to stay healthy on a consistant basis when it comes to taking the checking that he's going to get at the NHL level. O'Sullivan has missed pretty considerable time in his last two seasons with Mississaugua. Also, you have to watch out for his checkerboard past. I know that a lot of that stuff has been resolved, but it's possible it could make him act out later along in his career. Shades of Theo Fluery, perhaps. That's who O'Sullivan's game reminds me of the most though, which is a good and bad thing. Great if he can stay the course, bad if he lets his off-ice history get the best of him. Right now, Eric Staal is the safer prospect by far.

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
West said:
Both Kilger and Gratton had only average skating (for NHL) and needed alot of work on their defensive games.

Stall is a good skater even at the NHL level and his defensive game is excellent for someone his age.

p.s. Thornton's defense sucked his draft year but his skating is way above average and is offensive skills were easily the best of that group (possible exception of Spezza who's skating was way better than widely reported also).

Chad Kilger is a very good skater, never mind for a guy his size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad