BIG BALLER BRAND Roll Call

Sep 19, 2008
Jul 17, 2006
New Zealand

full

Sep 19, 2008
Here is the main reason Lonzo Ball is good for the NBA.

Because he brings attention.

He draws casual fans like me who have literally no incentive to watch any basketball outside local clubs. His target, mostly brought on by LaVar's **** talking, has made him Must See TV.

I'm not the world's biggest NBA fan. In fact the league soured on me by implementing what I consider disgusting freedom of movement rules which hindered defenses and "opened up the offensive game". As a defensively biased sports fan, this did not sit well with me. I'm willing to look past my moral disgust of professional basketball, because Lonzo Ball and his father have raised so much attention about Lonzo (and he has lived up to the hype BTW) that there becomes this incentive to watch now, to see what will happen.

Lonzo Ball made summer league games watchable. Lonzo Ball highly raised the profile of meaningless summer tournaments with his presence and play. If he has a healthy NBA rookie year, you best believe the hype and attention will be so big that the NBA as a whole will benefit in a massive way from it.

Lonzo Ball is already starting to draw enemies and drama and feuds. And this was pretty much nonexistent the last decade in the NBA. The NBA needed a good troll, a provoking heel that we can either cheer or root for, like a WWE figure. Why? Because said troll provides a great talking point other than the same two teams that will just dominate the East and West. Now, the NBA isn't all about how the Warriors will win another title with a loaded club, or how Cleveland continues their East dominance (even without Kyrie). No, now it's about Lonzo Ball and how he does with the Lakers. And that's a very appealing storyline in a league IMO that hasn't had many of them.

People, I am beyond excited for pro basketball. And that is something I have not said in nearly 10 years. One man can change the league. One man can make the league
exciting again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->