Bieksa ko's Gudas, 10/24/17

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Meh. With the way everyone was talking about this, I expected it to be better. He hit him and then jumped on him as Gudas was falling down. It's more funny than impressive.

Reactions: RayB

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I have a problem with superman punches in NHL fights. Maybe I'm too much of a traditionalist when it comes to NHL fighting, but the last thing I want to see is this becoming the norm ( yes, I know it's happened before ). It just feels too cheap in an NHL fight and something that should be left in MMA.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I have a problem with superman punches in NHL fights. Maybe I'm too much of a traditionalist when it comes to NHL fighting, but the last thing I want to see is this becoming the norm ( yes, I know it's happened before ). It just feels too cheap in an NHL fight and something that should be left in MMA.
Most people would miss and be exposed, its a risk/gamble.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Yeah, the punch was a TKO in my opinion. Legs gave out, and clearly buckled... definitely not a KO, though.
We're arguing serious minutiea, but if his legs buckled he was presumably briefly unconscious. He might not have been down for a count, but given that there's no count in hockey I think we can call it a KO.

Simple assault with mutual consent, up to one year in prison in Pennsylvania.
You should probably call the cops and inform them of the hundreds of simple assaults with mutual consent that have occurred on NHL ice in their state. I'm sure they'll get right on it.

NewUser293223

Registered Abuser
Oct 21, 2017
Ivory tower
I rewatched the tussle and it probably was a slight KO, as Gudas fell forward until Bieksa (probably) shoved him and changed the direction of the potato's sacking out.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
"Slight KO" otherwise known as a "TKO"

Similar to Lucic/Carkner 2... A TKO and not a KO, Legs gave out, got back up no issue.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

What is cheap about it?

A fight is a fight, I'd rather see a clean punch landed than lame jersey tugging and hugging where there is no clear victor.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
What is cheap about it?

A fight is a fight, I'd rather see a clean punch landed than lame jersey tugging and hugging where there is no clear victor.

I just don't like it in hockey. Hockey fights have always been different. Rarely do you see two guys square up and just throw without grabbing on and that's what it looked like Gudas was expecting. To me, Superman punches to start is just a cheap way to get an easy advantage at the start of the fight to catch someone who's expecting a regular hockey fight. What's next, shaking off your elbow guard and throwing a 3 to 9 elbow strike?

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I just don't like it in hockey. Hockey fights have always been different. Rarely do you see two guys square up and just throw without grabbing on and that's what it looked like Gudas was expecting. To me, Superman punches to start is just a cheap way to get an easy advantage at the start of the fight to catch someone who's expecting a regular hockey fight. What's next, shaking off your elbow guard and throwing a 3 to 9 elbow strike?

Your talking about an illegal, penalized part of the game. It isn't combat sports with rules specific to strikes.

Thats besides the fact Bieksa telegraphed the punch. I guess we'll agree to disagree. If the whole purpose of fighting is to "send a message" to the other teams goon, I think landing clean on the jaw sends a much more powerful message then tugging the collar of his jersey and letting him smirk his ass off in the sin bin.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Pathetic display from Gudas, it's like he didn't expect to get punched in a fight.

Pretty much the way Gudas plays hockey. He can dish out any cheap shot he wants but no one's allowed to hit him back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad