Bettman's tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Good article today about the negotiations:

http://www.nypost.com/sports/21366.htm

The league's response to Thursday's offer is telling. If the NHL had any intention of negotiating a deal with the union, it would be crafting a line-by-line response to the offer to present as a counter tomorrow in Toronto. Unless every bit of information is incorrect, the league's not doing that.

Instead, it is preparing to submit a cap proposal to the union, and most likely the one it would intend to implement after attaining declaration of an impasse. Never lose sight of this critical point: Once the NHL begins to bargain over tax rates and tax thresholds, the league loses its claim of impasse.

Which side is disingenuous?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Maybe Brooks forgot that Burke is far more respected than he could ever hope to be?

How come Brooks only mentioned 8 of 800 players? And he still doesn't explain how it's not a one-time thing.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Two words: Larry Brooks

Nothing but misinformed NHLPA propaganda.

swflyers8*

Maybe Brooks forgot that Burke is far more respected than he could ever hope to be?

Yeah, I had to laugh about Brooks' article. He's slamming Brian Burke while Burke is more respected than he is. The guy seems to know squat about hockey while Burke should really be the commissioner, not Buttman.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan

The league's response to Thursday's offer is telling. If the NHL had any intention of negotiating a deal with the union, it would be crafting a line-by-line response to the offer to present as a counter tomorrow in Toronto. Unless every bit of information is incorrect, the league's not doing that.

Instead, it is preparing to submit a cap proposal to the union, and most likely the one it would intend to implement after attaining declaration of an impasse. Never lose sight of this critical point: Once the NHL begins to bargain over tax rates and tax thresholds, the league loses its claim of impasse.

Well, since the players offer didn't address the problem, I don't see how they are negotitating in good faith.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
In fact, Burke — told Thursday afternoon by an NHL person of the details of the PA proposal before the union had the opportunity to release it to its constituents — and scowling as usual, even went so far on Friday as to announce that the reason the players arrived at the 24 precent rate of reduction is because they'd been told by Goodenow it would take 24 months to recoup their losses. Aware that this kind of insult comes with the league's imprimatur, players around the league are already seething.

Of course they are seething. If I'd gone to all the trouble to come up with such a sneaky PR ploy and salary trap, then had is dismantled and exposed in 24 hours well I'd be seething too.

Maybe Bettman, Burke or any of the hawkish owners on the Board might want to explain to 35-year-old Joe Sakic how he's going to recoup the $5.668M he's offered to return under the 24-percent rollback, the total pro-rated to accommodate a 50-game season this year. Maybe the league would like to explain to 33-year-old Mats Sundin how's he going to regain the $7.17M he's proposed to leave on the table.

Maybe they'd like to chat with 31-year-old John Madden about how he's going to recapture the $5.198M he's agreed to forfeit, or have that conversation with 32-year-old Daniel Alfredsson about the $8.151M he's willing to sacrifice. Maybe Bettman and the cartel might want to go face-to-face with these guys, and with Billy Guerin, Rob Blake, Bobby Holik and Jaromir Jagr, too, and explain to them how their offer's nothing more than a ruse.

And if NHLPA had signed up with the NHL and dealt on cost certainty then the NHL would have grandfathered those contracts in and they wouldn't have lost a cent this year or any of the contact years.

mackdogs*

Sorry... where's the 'good article'?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
me2 said:
In fact, Burke — told Thursday afternoon by an NHL person of the details of the PA proposal before the union had the opportunity to release it to its constituents — and scowling as usual, even went so far on Friday as to announce that the reason the players arrived at the 24 precent rate of reduction is because they'd been told by Goodenow it would take 24 months to recoup their losses. Aware that this kind of insult comes with the league's imprimatur, players around the league are already seething.

Of course they are seething. If I'd gone to all the trouble to come up with such a sneaky PR ploy and salary trap, then had is dismantled and exposed in 24 hours well I'd be seething too.

Maybe Bettman, Burke or any of the hawkish owners on the Board might want to explain to 35-year-old Joe Sakic how he's going to recoup the $5.668M he's offered to return under the 24-percent rollback, the total pro-rated to accommodate a 50-game season this year. Maybe the league would like to explain to 33-year-old Mats Sundin how's he going to regain the $7.17M he's proposed to leave on the table.

Maybe they'd like to chat with 31-year-old John Madden about how he's going to recapture the $5.198M he's agreed to forfeit, or have that conversation with 32-year-old Daniel Alfredsson about the $8.151M he's willing to sacrifice. Maybe Bettman and the cartel might want to go face-to-face with these guys, and with Billy Guerin, Rob Blake, Bobby Holik and Jaromir Jagr, too, and explain to them how their offer's nothing more than a ruse.

Maybe some of the players you have mentioned would like to go face-to-face with "average Joe hockey fan", who couldn't make that kind of money if he/she lived 1,000 lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->