Bettmans offer means no Ovechkin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
So what's the problem? We're talking about competition as if it's bad.

If the NHL doesn't offer competitive enough salaries for young players, they'll lose some. That's the whole "free market" system at work.

I'm not concerned about the Russian stuff at all. They're throwing big bucks around right now, trying to get a few stars. They don't have enough cash, or attendance and buildings to do much of it.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
Ovechkin can play wherever he wants but IMO he'll want to eventually makes his mark playing against the world's best players in the NHL.

Older guys like Kovalev and Jagr have little left to prove in the NHL. Russia is a great option to finish out their careers.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
so the nhl would miss out on a couple of great prospects every 5 years and a bunch of middle of the road guys....not too worried about that
Newsguyone said:
It's not only big talent. It's middle talent and ever lower.
Last year, the wings lost 25 year old defenseman Dmitri Bykov to Russia. The Wings weren't willing to match Bykov's $1 Million, tax free offer.
Granted, it's only one player. But if they've got $1Million to throw at Dmitri Bykov, don't underestimate their ability to compete the NHL for the best of the young Russians limited by $850,000 contracts. Also talented RFAs may be tempted to go back.
Or even third line forwards.

Overall, it does represent a threat to the talent level in the NHL. Whether or not this threat really manifests itself remains to be seen.
But ignoring it would be silly.

If there is a cap, the NHL needs to eliminate this bogus entry level system.
Last thing we need is the WHA starting up, attracting some NHL stars, and then offering $2M a year to Crosby.

This year, a Russian team was trying to woo Pavel Datsyuk, a restricted free agent.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Ovy would jump over at the prospect of making the big bucks. Sure, he'd make less money from the Caps from the get-go but once he gets of age and Free Agency becomes his bedfellow, it won't be an issue

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
What about the money Ovehckin would make with sponsorship in the states? He wouldnt certainly make that in Russia. I know its not their home but the way i see guys like Bure and Federov embrace the U.S. life style i dont see why they would want so badly to go home...

hockeyfan33

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
chara said:
Ovechkin can play wherever he wants but IMO he'll want to eventually makes his mark playing against the world's best players in the NHL.

Older guys like Kovalev and Jagr have little left to prove in the NHL. Russia is a great option to finish out their careers.

so what if the NHL owners bring scabs like they are threatining to? The NHL automatically loses it's label as the world's best league, maybe not even top 5.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
hockeyfan33 said:
so what if the NHL owners bring scabs like they are threatining to? The NHL automatically loses it's label as the world's best league, maybe not even top 5.

That would heavily depend on the scabs.

It will also depend on whether established NHLers will cross the line and join in for a piece of the action.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Who is saying that Ovechkin will get the big bucks after 4 years. Hís only option would be to hold out. The caps has quit allot of really good young players, once Ovechkin gets a 6 million offer Semin will want 4 million ect. With Bettmans offer I doubt teams will be able to afford paying a really good young player 6 million a year.

Ovechkin will be up for the big bucks once he becomes a Hart Trophy candidate or UFA, with the way Bettman runs the league right now not many stars stay healty for more then 10 years in the league. The top three upcomming stars 10 years ago, Forsberg, Kariya and Lindros have had allot of trouble lately. Who would give them big bucks under hardcap conditions today???

Ovechkin would take one helluva risk signing with the caps if Bettman gets his will...

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Ola said:
Who is saying that Ovechkin will get the big bucks after 4 years. Hís only option would be to hold out. The caps has quit allot of really good young players, once Ovechkin gets a 6 million offer Semin will want 4 million ect. With Bettmans offer I doubt teams will be able to afford paying a really good young player 6 million a year.

Ovechkin will be up for the big bucks once he becomes a Hart Trophy candidate or UFA, with the way Bettman runs the league right now not many stars stay healty for more then 10 years in the league. The top three upcomming stars 10 years ago, Forsberg, Kariya and Lindros have had allot of trouble lately. Who would give them big bucks under hardcap conditions today???

Ovechkin would take one helluva risk signing with the caps if Bettman gets his will...
Which is why the current model isn't working . . . . . the Caps might be able to draft and develop Ovechkin, but if something isn't fixed, they won't be able to afford to keep him.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
HockeyCritter said:
Which is why the current model isn't working . . . . . the Caps might be able to draft and develop Ovechkin, but if something isn't fixed, they won't be able to afford to keep him.

Yes they would without a doubt. Lets keep the level up a little bit on this board. Its a discussion forum, not a debate... :shakehead

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Ola said:
<<<snipped>>>. Lets keep the level up a little bit on this board. Its a discussion forum, not a debate...
Meaning what precisely?

Is not healthy debate a form of discussion, particularily if those responding are civil?

Lanny MacDonald*

HockeyCritter said:
Meaning what precisely?

Is not healthy debate a form of discussion, particularily if those responding are civil?

No no no. A debate is an evil thing because it means you have to actually understand the topic you are discussing and bring some supporting data to substantiate your position to be taken seriously. In a discussion anyone can talk out their buttocks and still garner a little respect for stepping to the plate.

:eek:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The Iconoclast said:
No no no. A debate is an evil thing because it means you have to actually understand the topic you are discussing and bring some supporting data to substantiate your position to be taken seriously. In a discussion anyone can talk out their buttocks and still garner a little respect for stepping to the plate.

:eek:

Or a discussing is when you discuss a subject with a open mind and a debate is where you are trying to prove your point to a third part... Who is the third part in this case, who cares what someone else on this board thinks?

Someone stated that Caps wouldn´t be able to afford Ovechkin without a hard cap. I doubt anyone really belives that. Do you want me to prove that the Caps would afford Ovech? I can´t. I still belive that both you and me belives they would.

Allot of canadian fans have a hard time to admit that the only reason they support Bettman is because his proposal would make their teams more competetive. Thats the only reason I can come up with why they keep making stuip replys like that as if it was somekind of debate.

Marconius

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
Ola said:
Or a discussing is when you discuss a subject with a open mind and a debate is where you are trying to prove your point to a third part... Who is the third part in this case, who cares what someone else on this board thinks?

Someone stated that Caps wouldn´t be able to afford Ovechkin without a hard cap. I doubt anyone really belives that. Do you want me to prove that the Caps would afford Ovech? I can´t. I still belive that both you and me belives they would.

Allot of canadian fans have a hard time to admit that the only reason they support Bettman is because his proposal would make their teams more competetive. Thats the only reason I can come up with why they keep making stuip replys like that as if it was somekind of debate.

Courtesy of dictionary.com:

de·bate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-bt)
v. de·bat·ed, de·bat·ing, de·bates
v. intr.
To consider something; deliberate.
To engage in argument by discussing opposing points.
To engage in a formal discussion or argument.
Obsolete. To fight or quarrel.

dis·cus·sion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-skshn)
n.
Consideration of a subject by a group; an earnest conversation.
A formal discourse on a topic; an exposition.

Discussion & debate are almost identical, debate is just a more formal version.
As for "who cares what someone else on this board thinks?"

Isn't that the point of these forums? To read and discuss/debate the merits of different/opposing viewpoints?

I think the majority of Canadian fans have no trouble admiting that they hope the new cba allows them to be competitive, is that not the central issue?

Ola: You've lost me, along with the majority of posters, I'd suspect. It sounds like English may not be your first language, am I missing the point of what you're trying to say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->