Bettman's 1PM pressconference live on net somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
missK said:
No, the meeting between the two groups was to begin at 1pm today.

If the NHL is smart, they will counter offer instead of just shooting the NHLPA down. The counter offer presentation would take time, so I wouldn't expect to hear anything for awhile. Maybe even hours.

Exactly, and expect this to continue for another 3 or 4 weeks until a deal is reached by the 1st week of January

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
417 TO MTL said:
Exactly, and expect this to continue for another 3 or 4 weeks until a deal is reached by the 1st week of January

Does anyone really think there will be a deal cause i'm starting get worries about it. I mean it is getting critical. If a deal isn't reached soon then surely there will be no season.

coyotechrisz

Apr 21, 2004
scaredsensfan said:
A deal will be reached on Thursday, January 6th, 2005.

Hockey will begin on Saturday, January 22nd.

??????????????? :help:

Or ist it only your opinion? But i would be satisfied with that ;)

Thibaj

Aug 5, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
J17ster said:
Well i have a pretty good knowledge of other sports. The NBA, Football, Cricket, Tennis, Rugby, Badminton, table tennis etc. None of them are on a level playing field and the list could go on and on.
Granted that predictabilty is boring. Just look at Michael Schumacer. But it isn't like the NHL is predictible. Examples: Tampa Bay won the cup, Calgary wen to the finals, Anahiem went to the finals, Minnesota had a run, Carolina went to the finals and San Jose missed the Playoffs in 2003. Even Florida got to the finals once. The way i see it for the small market teams is to rebuild (like Florida, Washington, Pittsburgh, Atlanta etc) and Be smart with their money. Look at Calgary and Tampa. Both small market teams who managed to topple the big boys.

It is pretty tough to compare sports in that department. In the NHL, small market teams can make the playoffs (even sometimes to the Stanley Cup finals) because hockey is a truly team sports. In other words, having more money (like the Rangers) doesn't give you an automatic playoff spot if you spend it real bad.

If you take the MLB, it is different. If you have more money, you have a real edge; in the National League East, the Atlanta Braves have won every pennant in their division since 1991 (except for the season shortened by the strike in 1994)! And yes they have a huge cable deal, you can see them all over the US and Canada, in fact you can catch more Braves games in Montreal than Expos games for the last years...

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
scaredsensfan said:
A deal will be reached on Thursday, January 6th, 2005.

Hockey will begin on Saturday, January 22nd.

Dont they have to wait 45 days from the deal? I thought I read something like that but maybe im mixing something else up.

But its pretty much wishful thinking...this has been my percentages of a season from the summer:

(note all my %'s are if the NHL will make a deal in time to save the season)
Aug: 60% a deal would be made
Oct: 10% a deal would be made
PA was going to propose a new proposal...rumors of it sounded like a good starting point: 20% a deal would be made
After hearing the PAs proposal: 30% a deal would be made
After the NHL shot down the propsal on a leaked memo: 5% a deal will be made.

It is still at 5 but im sure it will go down after here what comes out of the meeting today. :(

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Dont they have to wait 45 days from the deal? I thought I read something like that but maybe im mixing something else up.

the NHL told arenas to start booking their venues 45 days in advance. That's not to say that the NHL couldn't tell the arenas to stop booking all things from say jan 22. (just an example) onward if they feel a deal might be reached. :dunno:

wint

Jun 10, 2002
Inside
Visit site
crossxcheck said:
right now small market teams home grow talent and the big spenders end up snagging them when they're too expensive for the small market teams.
This happens to teams that are losing. No one is snagging away Lecavalier or Richards (that is, unless a cap is instituted and the Lightning have to decide who to trade for low-cost picks and prospects). But if Edmonton doesn't think Niinimaa will be a key player in a cup run (or Ottawa with Bonk, Pittsburgh with Kovalev, L.A. with Schneider), it is in their best interest to get something for him before his value drops.

crossxcheck said:
In all honesty, who wants to watch the same 5-10 teams compete for the cup every year??
Would you honestly include Tampa and Calgary in the 5-10 teams that compete for the cup every year? How about Anaheim and Carolina? This system has produced nothing close to the Montreal, New York, or Edmonton dynasties. There is probably more parity in the league right now than ever before.

crossxcheck said:
Isn't it ridiculous to you that a team can only afford a $25m payroll plays one with a $70m payroll???
That $25 - $70 million difference has a lot to do with how far along the team is with its development. Rebuilding clubs that start to enjoy some success make a little more money (more tickets sold at higher prices, more merchandise sold, etc) with which to pay their key players. Nashville is entering this phase now. Ottawa is already there.

Now, it is true that these teams will never hit the super-high payroll numbers of the Rangers or Wings. But all that extra $20 million or so can buy is the option to hold on to an aging team's success for a while longer in an extraordinarily inefficient and system-depleting way. In no more than a year, almost all of Detroit's best players will be gone. They will end up with no compensation for those players, and the Wings will have had only 1 first round pick since 1998. If not for their spectacular late-round drafting record, they would be looking at years of terrible hockey. They could try to buy some free agents to tide them over, but the Rangers have proven that strategy to be useless.

Still, this is an advantage that the big-market clubs have, and something should be done. I just don't think a salary cap is the right thing. That would force any good team to dump parts of its core as soon as they get good. A reasonably stiff luxury tax, more revenue sharing (especially of playoff money), and a revamped arbitration system would be fine.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Is it at all possible that the NHLPA came to the meeting with a counter proposal to the NHL's counter proposal, hence, the lengthy meeting. It would had to have had some form of cost certainty in their proposal if there is any hope to fly but would also had to have had a way for the players and more importanly Bob Goodenow to save some face. Just a thought.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
eye said:
Is it at all possible that the NHLPA came to the meeting with a counter proposal to the NHL's counter proposal, hence, the lengthy meeting.

It's also possible that the NHL came to the meeting with a counter proposal to the PA's counter proposal to the NHL's counter proposal. But if the NHLPA came with a counter proposal for that, well...I don't even want to think that far.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Jussi said:
It's also possible that the NHL came to the meeting with a counter proposal to the PA's counter proposal to the NHL's counter proposal. But if the NHLPA came with a counter proposal for that, well...I don't even want think that far.

:lol

There is something very Maxwell Smart about that "The old counter-counter-counter proposal trick."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad