Bettman Ultimatum: $42.5 M Cap, Final Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mytor4*

its about time . finally gary has come up to the plate.42.5 is perfect. he is saying thats the best we can offer take it or leave it.gary really does have balls.if the owners go any higher they themselfs then kill the league. if the players reject or try to get a higher cap then they are all idiots and should all live in europe. i pray the players see the light and see this is a great offer and accepts the offer instead of trying to keep on playind hardball.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Glen Healy sounded human today, very impressed. He said that there will be some wiggle room and thinks that $45m is the magic number, which what most people thinks it is. He says there is a gun pointed at both sides heads and to cancel the season over $2.5m would be stupid. I agreed with everything he said, and if the NHL does in fact get a reasonable offer back from the other side, and rejects it, than it will be the biggest mistake they've ever made, and will lose my support for good.

NHL, you cannot let the season slip away over a few million. GET IT DONE!!!!!!

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
OilerFan4Life said:
www.tsn.ca

"The NHL has filed a counter-proposal to the NHL Players' Association offer, upping the salary cap to $42.5 million. The NHL has told NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow that it's a final offer with no flexibility or room to negotiate and must have a response by 11 a.m. tomorrow."
they'll settle at 45 mil - game on!

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
SCREW THE 11AM DEADLINE.

The most meaningfull breakthroughs in 7 months have occured:

NHLPA accepts CAP
NHL moves off of LINKAGE

Both sides have budged. Fine, the NHL is being a tiny bit stingy with only upping it by 2.5 million$. But by far the worst thing is this "FINAL OFFER AND NO FLEXIBILITY crap Bettman has thrown out.

I say re-schedule the press conference to 24 hours later. Give both sides a chance to crunch the numbers,go it over and meet one last time... even if it means having a 26 game season instead of a 28 game season: who gives a crap?

If the NHLPA comes back with 45 million$. I think the NHL should SERIOUSLY consider that or at least considering turning that extra 2.5 million into a luxury tax form... that you CAN spend up to 45 million$ but the last 2.5 million$ is extremely heavily taxed. Or something.

I am very enthusiastic for the 1st time since the 24% roll back. I don't see why so many of you say it's over now that both sides seem to agree on a cap and no linkage.

Jared Ramsden

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
Digger12 said:
Uh oh...

That's some serious hardball. I have to think the NHL's taking an unnecessary risk here. Why step on the NHLPA throat at this delicate juncture?

If I'm a PA member, I would be absolutely fricking PISSED.

Bettman and the NHL are in total control now.....now that the PA has caved, they are screwed.....there is going to be a Cap, and the NHL is going to dictate how much it's for....i don't think the PA has much leverage left

rival

Feb 15, 2004
Victoria
We are increasing our offer of yesterday by increasing the maximum individual team cap to $44.7MM ($42.5MM in salary and $2.2MM in benefits). This offer is not an invitation to begin negotiations - it's too late for that. This is our last effort to make a deal that's fair to the players and one that the Clubs (hopefully) can afford. We have no more flexibility and there is no time for further negotiation.

From Gary's letter to Bob.

What are benefits?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
goodenow will counter with 48-50 million, comparable to gary's compromise....still far enough to threaten to kill the season. this is still a big amount of money. this is the difference between two or three good players - it could sway a lot. with all the numbers being thrown around, everyone forgets that 5 or 10 million can decide a teams season player wise and financially. i really cant see gary going much higher than 45 and still getting the smaller owners to agree. they're probably already all over him as it is.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
espion said:
SCREW THE 11AM DEADLINE.

The most meaningfull breakthroughs in 7 months have occured:

NHLPA accepts CAP
NHL moves off of LINKAGE

Both sides have budged. Fine, the NHL is being a tiny bit stingy with only upping it by 2.5 million$. But by far the worst thing is this "FINAL OFFER AND NO FLEXIBILITY crap Bettman has thrown out.

I say re-schedule the press conference to 24 hours later. Give both sides a chance to crunch the numbers,go it over and meet one last time... even if it means having a 26 game season instead of a 28 game season: who gives a crap?

If the NHLPA comes back with 45 million$. I think the NHL should SERIOUSLY consider that or at least considering turning that extra 2.5 million into a luxury tax form... that you CAN spend up to 45 million$ but the last 2.5 million$ is extremely heavily taxed. Or something.

I am very enthusiastic for the 1st time since the 24% roll back. I don't see why so many of you say it's over now that both sides seem to agree on a cap and no linkage.
according to this letter from Bettman, its take it or leave it

"This is our last effort to make a deal that's fair to the players and one that the Clubs (hopefully) can afford. We have no more flexibility and there is no time for further negotiation. "

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=115051

Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

go kim johnsson said:
Just when you thought Bettman couldn't get any more stupid, he does this. What a tool.

Look, the owners have had the position of strength throughout this whole soiree.

The PA pretty much caved in when they accepted they'd take a cap. The owners are ready and willing to throw away the key for a year or two and not think twice. On the other hand, the players (from their actions) want to get back to playing more than the owners want to get back to ... owning.

Bettman and Co is doing what anybody in a negotiation who is in a position of strength would do.

Goodenow can come back with a 45m figure if he wants, Bettman will either meet in the middle or shut it down. It doesn't matter to the League at this point since they now *unquestionably* hold all the cards, and since they do, get all that they can out of it.

The players and the PA pretty much look like fools to everybody at this point.

MrMackey

Aug 7, 2003
cgy
Visit site
I hope the players reject it. They could've figured this out months ago, and the figure could've easily been $45M.

Cancel the season and try to negotiate for around $35M for next season.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
OilerFan4Life said:
Take it or leave it Bob, fine by me.

Me too. The stupid players are waking up today to the fact that their PA screwed them and if the lot of them are stupid enough to not accept this deal, then let them sit and we'll see replacements in September.

Im pissed large about the fact that the players took this long to finally do the inevitable. If you ask me, they can rot in Europe for all I care. If they dont take it, thats their problem.

One thing that has become ABUNDANTLY clear to me is the need for the vast majority of NHLPA members to get a UNIVERSITY EDUCATION. The lot of them are uneducated bumpkins who just got their butts handed to them b/c they couldnt figure out simple economics for themselves, but instead followed the leader unto a wasted season and the loss of the majority of their paychecks.

Dumbasses. :shakehead

Last edited:

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
no13matssundin said:
Me too. The stupid players are waking up today to the fact that their PA screwed them and if the lot of them are stupid enough to not accept this deal, then let them sit and we'll see replacements in September.

Im pissed large about the fact that the players took this long to finally do the inevitable. If you ask me, they can rot in Europe for all I care. If they dont take it, thats theyre problem.

One thing that has become ABUNDANTLY clear to me is the need for the NHLPA member to get a UNIVERSITY EDUCATION. The lot of them are uneducated bumpkins who just got their butts handed to them b/c they ccouldnt figure out simple economics for themselves, but followed the leader unto a wasted a season and loss of the majority of their paychecks.

Dumbasses. :shakehead

The loyality on this board or rather lack of is mind boggling. Lets see, Goodenow makes these players millionaires, allows scrubs to make millions, and you reward someone that gave you great financial security by dumping them because he waited a few months? Bunch of thankless brats.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
Mongoose said:
The Deal Is For 44.7 Million Dollars, Not 42.5

Not really, traditionally the benefits are not counted when the cap #s are reported. As per Bettman's letter the new offer is $42.5MM in salary and $2.2MM in benefits, which is upped from their previous offer of $40MM in salary and $2.2MM in benefits.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Mongoose said:
The Deal Is For 44.7 Million Dollars, Not 42.5

Can we just make a $3.3M exception, please? Goodenow is going to be out of a job anyways, just do it.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Bob, come back with 45.5 million please.

.8 million more (when including these very secretive "benefits")

If Bettman cancels over that $800,000 extra dollars then good for him. But for Gods sake, don't take this weasles threat the way it is.

45.5 PLEASE

EDIT: Or ask for those 3 year exceptions again. Or even just one...get something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->