Bettman Ultimatum: $42.5 M Cap, Final Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
No way the PA accepts that, that's a **** job by the NHL. Don't know the rest of the details yet, but if the rest of the deal is the same and that's all they changed, that's terrible.

The PA isn't going to accept that so hopefully that's not a "final" offer as Bettman has told them it is. Daly said the same thing, supposedly, to the PA after the prior offer with the 4 triggers.

Since I don't think that's the final offer, Goodenow needs to come back and split the 10 million difference on the cap.... come back with a hard cap at 46-47.5, no exceptions like in the last PA proposal. If the NHL is going to turn that down it's a shame.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Wait, wasn't the rumoured Iginla, Pronger, Roenick group planning on taking a player made 42 million dollar cap proposal before the NHL? Well here is is boys, just sign right there on the dotted line. Mwahahaha.

I still think a deal will get done.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Uh oh...

That's some serious hardball. I have to think the NHL's taking an unnecessary risk here. Why step on the NHLPA throat at this delicate juncture?

If I'm a PA member, I would be absolutely fricking PISSED.

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
There may still be some wiggle room in the NHL's offer. The PA should immediately respond with a public counter-offer. When the two sides get real close, there'll be alot of pressure to split the difference.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Heres what I think/hope will happen. Goodenow will come back sometime tonight/early tomorrow with $45 mil in an attempt to somewhat call the owners bluff, and if Bettman says no, he'll accept the $42.5.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Anybody know of where I can find a website that has the teams' overall salaries listed? I'm interested to know how many teams would fall under this salary cap, before and after the 24% salary rollback. Any help?

~Canucklehead~

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
This is still ok....listen to this scenario: the PA comes back with $45 (only 2.5 away from NHL offer; , PA will alert the press...NHL will want to save face and not be ate up by the media over the season being lost by only $2.5) so the NHL counters with 43.5 and an agreement is made just before the 1 oclock deadline....BE OPTIMISTIC...THEY WOULD BE NUTS TO BLOW THE SEASON NOW... LETS GO...

nikolai19

Jan 5, 2003
Corona, CA
myspace.com
Wasn't there something in the NHLPA proposal that stated that they could go 10% above that in three years out of a 6 year CBA deal

Therefore NHLPa's real cap is 52 million + 5.2 million (three times if necessary)

If that some rule applies and the NHL's counter has that clause then
NHL Cap is 42.5 million + 4.25 million = $46.75 million for three of the seasons out of the term of the CBA.

Can someone help with that clause again?

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Digger12 said:
Uh oh...

That's some serious hardball. I have to think the NHL's taking an unnecessary risk here. Why step on the NHLPA throat at this delicate juncture?

Agreed. What is in it for the NHLPA to accept this after all the concessions they have made? Let the players play out the year in Europe, and come back in September. The NHL can no longer declare an impasse with a straight face, and if they want to throw away the season over $3-5m, so be it.

I'd be interested to see what the luxury tax details are on this offer as well, and what sort of revenue sharing is being included (or not).

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Digger12 said:
Uh oh...

Because they are dumbasses. What generally happens in a take it or leave it offer? Especially one that is "leaked" to the public.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I'm a bit uneasy about the figure, my feeling is that the PA will decline.

The "no flexibility" thing is stupid, and I don't buy it. Honestly, if the PA calls with an offer of say, $46 million, I cannot believe that Bettman will refuse and cancel the season over the sake of a couple of million dollars. Perhaps the NHL thinks the only way to deal with the PA is put a gun to their heads.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
I don't understand what the NHL is trying to do either. They came so far in a period of a day and Bettman is playing cowboy with his new offer. Just put it at $45 mil and lets get going. Screw Karmanos and Wirtz.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Just when you thought Bettman couldn't get any more stupid, he does this. What a tool.

Crows*

clefty said:
I'm a bit uneasy about the figure, my feeling is that the PA will decline.

The "no flexibility" thing is stupid, and I don't buy it. Honestly, if the PA calls with an offer of say, $46 million, I cannot believe that Bettman will refuse and cancel the season over the sake of a couple of million dollars. Perhaps the NHL thinks the only way to deal with the PA is put a gun to their heads.

This is when Bettman has the gun to goodnows head and he tells bettman to pull the trigger. Then to bettmans dismay the gun only clicks..... and goodnow bursts out laughing and the deal is already signed.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Yep.
If the PA comes back at $44.5-$45 million, I'd say it's a done deal. Keep in mind Bettman said a week ago he thought there was no flexibility in $40 million. Until the season is official over, there's always flexibility.

I'm curious, though, what's been said about the rest of the CBA, i.e. arbitration, free agency, QO, etc.?

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
Just when you thought Bettman couldn't get any more stupid, he does this. What a tool.

It's really unbelievable. Every offer the NHL made has just further galvanized and alienated the players. And then he does this? It's essentially an insult, especially if there is no major revenue sharing attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->