Bettman: Season ticket sales up 3% league-wide, single game tickets way up also

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
"Based on information we have so far, season-ticket sales are up 3 percent [across the league], and single-game sales are up pretty significantly as well, so we think attendance should be comparable if not better than it was in 2003-04," Bettman said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05282/585516.stm

........... I would enjoy hearing comments from the ones from this board who pre-settlement claimed that the league would be set back decades.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
ut oh, looks like 06-07 will be a lockout year; you can't argue with the numbers:

Play a year, take off a year, play a year, take off a year

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
nyrmessier011 said:
if the levitt report came out, it would say sales are DOWN 3%. thank God the NHLPA is in on this one.

:biglaugh: Now that was a good one.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
"Based on information we have so far, season-ticket sales are up 3 percent [across the league], and single-game sales are up pretty significantly as well, so we think attendance should be comparable if not better than it was in 2003-04," Bettman said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05282/585516.stm

........... I would enjoy hearing comments from the ones from this board who pre-settlement claimed that the league would be set back decades.

It's still awfully early and it's just about attendance. Are revenues up as well overall?

According to TSN, the players will have to give back an additional 10% to the escrow fund (total of 34%), which would mean the revenues are lower than expected.

Holly Gunning

Mar 9, 2002
out and about
Visit site
Smail said:
According to TSN, the players will have to give back an additional 10% to the escrow fund (total of 34%), which would mean the revenues are lower than expected.
Or more likely...just that the player salary average is much higher than the midpoint.

garypl

Aug 2, 2005
read the statement Bettman said again--Season tix sales are up and single tix sales up too---Thats does NOT mean revenue higher since many offered reduced pricing= example=Islanders have 3000 seats for 10 games available for $10

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
garypl said:
read the statement Bettman said again--Season tix sales are up and single tix sales up too---Thats does NOT mean revenue higher since many offered reduced pricing= example=Islanders have 3000 seats for 10 games available for $10

But the revenue estimates on which this seasons cap #'s were based already factored in the reduction in ticket prices. If seson tickets and individual game sales are exceeding estimates, then it is possible (likely) that league revenues may exceed the estimates and the cap likely will go up some next year.

Of course, salaries seem to be greatly outstripping the league wide 54% even with the robust ticket sales, so the players will still likely have a significant escrow giveback this year even after the higher than expected (possibly) ticket revenue is accounted for at the end of the season.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Not to mention that concession prices have not decreased, and more people in the building = more people buying overpriced suds.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Garbs said:
And TV viewership?

Don't forget suites and coporate sponsorships.

I'm also a big fan of the article on NHL.con touting their record ratings for OLN, but fails to mention the actual number.

Last edited:

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area
Resolute said:
Not to mention that concession prices have not decreased, and more people in the building = more people buying overpriced suds.

and the 15 dollars for parking...grumble grumble grumble...... :madfire:

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
dpetri2000 - I used to grumble about the c$8 it costs to park at the Calgary Stampede to go see a Flames or Hitmen game until I paid us$20 for a Mariners game in Seattle. Talk about a cash cow...

Battousai - Possibly. I have no idea how those agreements would work, but I would think that the most logical arrangement is that the teams pay their food services people a flat fee, possibly including a percentage of the revenue. If that is the case, then the more food the team sells, the more they stand to earn. Higher attendance benifits everyone in this case.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Devil's advocate comin' through.... ;)

Is it season ticket sales or renewals that are up 3%? Larry Brooks seems to think renewals:

http://www.nypost.com/sports/29160.htm (registration required - www.bugmenot.com)

If it's renewals only, and they're comparing against the "lost season" renewals, that's not saying a heck of a lot.

If it's sales, weren't Carolina and Phoenix running "2 for 1" promotions on season tickets? I wonder if the 3% figure is only paid tickets, or all new tickets (including freebies).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->