Bettman Plan - ran 100 times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
While I don't see anything wrong with doing a mock lottery draw just to see what happens, I don't see the point in doing it 100 times. Obviously the intention is to see how everything averages out but you can do that just by looking at the actual odds. I guess it'd make a bit more sense if you had the actual machine and balls they'd use in case there were some sort of mechanical glitch that defies the pure odds.

Either way, I hope you enjoyed yourself... it's a sad spring.

jacketracket*

Kritter471 said:
So it depends on what you're looking for. Are you looking to resurrect a franchise on a national stage (Phoenix, Columbus, Pittsburgh). ....
Not sure what point you're aimimg for here, but Columbus --- as a franchise --- has done quite nicely without either a winning team or a Crosby-esque figure.

To suggest that the franchise is in need of "resurrection" is a bit silly.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
And from a simulation I did he has ntohing to worry about.

1.Calgary
2.Atlanta
3.Florida
4.Minnesota
5.Boston
6.Columbus
7.Tampa Bay
8.New YorkI
9.Washington
10.Anaheim
11.Pittsburgh
12.Buffalo
13.San Jose
14.Edmonton
15.Pheonix
16.Nashville
17.St.Louis
18.Chicago
19.Colorado
20.New Jersey
21.Vancouver
22.Dallas
23.Philedelphia
24.Montreal
25.New YorkR(interestingly their 3 balls landed together in a clump, where other team's 2nd or 3rd balls were found scattered through the draft, new york's followed in sequence 1,2,3)
26.Ottawa
27.LA
28.Detroit
29.Carolina
30.Toronto :cry:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
jacketracket said:
Not sure what point you're aimimg for here, but Columbus --- as a franchise --- has done quite nicely without either a winning team or a Crosby-esque figure.

To suggest that the franchise is in need of "resurrection" is a bit silly.

I think Columbus more or less just got lumped in there. I'm sure in that case he just meant "surrection". Yeah, I know that isn't a word.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Perhaps since a lot of people dislike the one draw take all -- maybe institute a law of averages over multiple draws. Just a thought.

For example, certain teams have a certain number of balls and what not -- that's fine and dandy. Assign a point value to each ball, draw till all 30 teams are picked, and repeat 4 more times.

Team with lowest or highest point value (depending on how you assign values, or you could average it) will get the first pick, next highest or lowest points gets next draft.

I dunno, just an idea. In theory, the teams with more balls will end up getting drawn more and have more points (or less, again, depending on how you assign it) which gives them a better overall shot at the first overall and eliminates some of the randomness.

This way all teams get a chance still at #1, but the probablity of a 'fluke' draw, i.e., Colorado or Detroit getting #1 overall is slim but possible.

It might be a bit complicated but nothing a simple computer couldn't handle.

Patman

Feb 23, 2004
www.stat.uconn.edu
thedjpd said:
Perhaps since a lot of people dislike the one draw take all -- maybe institute a law of averages over multiple draws. Just a thought.

For example, certain teams have a certain number of balls and what not -- that's fine and dandy. Assign a point value to each ball, draw till all 30 teams are picked, and repeat 4 more times.

Team with lowest or highest point value (depending on how you assign values, or you could average it) will get the first pick, next highest or lowest points gets next draft.

I dunno, just an idea. In theory, the teams with more balls will end up getting drawn more and have more points (or less, again, depending on how you assign it) which gives them a better overall shot at the first overall and eliminates some of the randomness.

This way all teams get a chance still at #1, but the probablity of a 'fluke' draw, i.e., Colorado or Detroit getting #1 overall is slim but possible.

It might be a bit complicated but nothing a simple computer couldn't handle.

What's the difference between that and re-weighting the draw that reflects those probabilities. There isn't going to be a "fair" part to this. Teams will win and teams will lose, but I think all of us like to draw it out because everybody knows that a good 25-30 points in the standings for the next 5 years goes to the winner of the #1 pick.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
SSJTOM said:
I stopped reading when I saw Simmons' face

Not saying it's wrong but I refuse to read a Simmons article on anything.

It is no secret that Sid's team of choice is montreal but I'm sure he'll go where he is drafted and not whine and complain about it like a guy who wore a number 1 digit more then Crosby's did a decade ago.

Well Simmons is quoting his father, Troy Crosby, so I don't see how wrong it can be?

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Komisarek8 said:
Well Simmons is quoting his father, Troy Crosby, so I don't see how wrong it can be?

I'm not saying it's wrong I just didn't read it.

I just can't stand simmons.

It makes me cringe.

I find Simmons to be like strachan and is not to be trusted at all.

Sid's father is obviously a damn good source and I'll take your word that he said that in the article and belive it.

but It's just something I can't do is read Simmon's trash, on hockey, Basketball, Football, you name it, hell he could write a childrens story and I wouldn't read it.

Ogopogo*

nikeisevil said:
Oilers in spot 3!?

How about MA Pouliot + #3 Pick to Carolina for the #2 pick?

Then Oilers can pick up Brule :)

Brule is not Oilers material.

In Edmonton we don't like guys that pull cheap shots like that.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
London Knights said:
Nashville impressed me with the fan interest during the stretch to the playoffs and into the playoffs. But I have to agree. It would be nice to see Crosby wind up in a Canadian city, or New York, Philadelphia, Detroit, etc. A team where there is either the potential for massive media coverage, or where there is a good sports following already.
You can add Chicago to that list, in fact outside of New York, Chicago would probably be the second best choice if the league could choose were Crosby will go.

It's a MAJOR american market, an original six team with a great fan base even so the numbers don't show it but only because of their understandable dispair with the ownership.

The NHL has to get Chicago back, because right now they don't matter and they should be. Crosby would most definietly help in making that happen.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
Komisarek8 said:

Will the kid's father be pulling a Mr. Lindros?

PredsFan77*

John Flyers Fan said:
Just for the top pick using the Bettman plan

Team - number of wins

Predators - 8

Kings - 7

Thrashers - 6
Blue Jackets
Sabres
Flames

Ducks - 5
Rangers

Bruins - 4
Oilers
Sharks
Lightning

Flyers - 3
Devils
Penguins
Blackhawks
Wild
Stars
Hurricanes

Isles - 2
Senators
Coyotes
Panthers
Caps

Blues - 1
Leafs
Habs
Canucks

Red Wings - 0
Avalanche

Sounds good to me...

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Rob Paxon said:
I think Columbus more or less just got lumped in there. I'm sure in that case he just meant "surrection". Yeah, I know that isn't a word.

First off - I'm a she. :teach:

Second, you're right. Resurrection was the wrong choice of words in Columbus' case. Emergence on the national stage would be more appropriate. The point I was trying to make, in a media-sense, was that one argument for Crosby going to a lesser known or out-of-favor hockey town (and Columbus would fall into the lesser-known category amongst the national media) is to establish an additional "major player" in the hockey world from the networks and national print media point of view.

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
Lou is God said:
You can add Chicago to that list, in fact outside of New York, Chicago would probably be the second best choice if the league could choose were Crosby will go.

It's a MAJOR american market, an original six team with a great fan base even so the numbers don't show it but only because of their understandable dispair with the ownership.

The NHL has to get Chicago back, because right now they don't matter and they should be. Crosby would most definietly help in making that happen.

i'd have to say i agree... crosby might just draw the fans back to the arena. if not wirtz's hand would just about be forced into televising the games as i'm sure there'd be a huge interest among true hockey fanatics... casual fans too im sure, but the die hard's in chi. would have more of a background about him etc... but yes you're correct, hell now that you mention it i'd rather see him go to chi than to NYR for just that fact. the american media knows the rangers as well as it knows the wings/avs/b's icing on the cake would be to boost chi out of the shadows and bring them into the light.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
scaredsensfan said:
I did a mock draft and this is what I came up with.

JFF: could you send me a PM explaining how to randomly generate lists in Excel? That would be sweet.

Anyway, here's the breakdown:

1. Pittsburgh
2. Carolina
3. Edmonton
4. Columbus
5. Buffalo
6. Ottawa
7. Washington
8. New York Rangers
9. Montreal
10. New Jersey
11. Nashville
12. Dallas
13. Florida
14. Los Angeles
15. Calgary
16. Atlanta
17. Vancouver
18. Anaheim
19. New York Islanders
20. Minnesota
21. San Jose
22. Chicago
23. Phoenix
24. Tampa Bay
25. Boston
26. Toronto
27. St. Louis
28. Detroit
29. Colorado
30. Philadelphia

Awsome. I figured we would have won the Cup this season anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->