Bettman Interview

Discussion in 'The Business of Hockey' started by X0ssbar, Jun 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X0ssbar

X0ssbar Guest

I work for a large financial firm and this morning they posted on our internal web site an interview they conducted with Gary Bettman about leadership. For those interested, I thought I would share that interview here:

"Gary Bettman, who was named the first-ever commissioner of the National Hockey League (NHL) in 1993, was interviewed by Treasury & Securities Services head Heidi Miller at April's LeadershipMorganChase session.

Among other topics, Bettman discussed his role as commissioner; how he judges success; the culture of hockey and the recent lockout; and key leadership qualities. Here are excerpts from that interview.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2005
  2. dunwoody_joe

dunwoody_joe Registered User

Home Page:
    Thanks for the post. I think the article tells us a bit about Bettman and perhaps more about his arrogance...

"...Because, particularly in my business, having the right answer is important. You've got to do your homework. You've got to be on top of your game, knowing what you're doing, knowing more than anybody else. But getting the answer right is important, but so is how you get there."

So there it is, Bettman believes that there is a right answer! Most good leaders will suggest that reality is often gray and that it is near impossible to "have the right answer." In fact, sometimes that unidimensional rigidity of thought can get a leader and his organization in trouble.

"...Because if people feel that they're having things just shoved down their throats, instead of being part of the process of getting you where you're going, you get resistance."

Hey, Gary...Ya think? :dunno:

3. X0ssbar

X0ssbar Guest

Holly Gunning - I didn't post the entire article? There was more.

You might as well kill the thread if this is the content you are going to leave..

4. Levitate

Levitate Registered User

erm, i like how they try to make the lockout sound like it's a good thing. a historic lockout :shakehead

at least that's how it sounded to me

5. Holly Gunning

Holly Gunning Registered User

Home Page:
    Anything more than a few sentences is too much. Everyone please read our board rules again.

So be it, this thread is closed.

6. Gee Wally

Gee Wally Grumpy

Awards:
    7) Copyrighted Material: Generally you can assume that anything you find online is copyrighted. We prefer you post a synopsis in your own words and the link to the article, but it's permissible to quote a few lines. DO NOT POST ENTIRE ARTICLES. If you have a question about copyrights see Brad Templeton's Ten Big Myths about Copyrights.

end of story.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.