Bettman and his owners are greedy pigs:They already WON

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountain Dude

DR said:
by that logic, the players just want to make up the billion or so dollars they have lost over that same time period by not linking their salaries to accountants.

dr

Wow, did you at some point get a labotomy?

The players didn't lose anything, they all got rich.

The owners lots billions.

Seriously, I wish there was an ignore function, because I just got dumber reading your post.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Mountain Dude said:
I'll go through your Pejorative Slured post and point out the obvious flaws.

The only way for the NHL to have long term success is through the cap, a low cap that will move when revenues move, you can have an impartial accountant that gets paid by both parties to determine what is revenue and what isn't.

Wow, thats for that great insight, right there you lose all possible credibility that an average human being comes in with. You of course come in with less, well, because clearly you're stupid.

The faster people realize that the players shouldn't have any say in this, the better. They talk a lot about a free market, yet they're in a ****ing union, there is nothing free market about this. If this was real free market, the owners would have had their salary cap 10 years ago. Because in real business, if the employees ***** and complain, they find themselves out on the street very fast. And hope that soon the NHLPA realizes they are holding no cards, because they aren't the ones writing the cheques.

The NHL can ask for whatever they **** they want, they are the league, and without those owners, all these NHL'ers would be working in garages making 1/100 of what they are currently making.

The league will be better off when the players realize they are just employees, and hopefully, soon replaced employees.

The sooner you get a clue about how labour works, the better. About the only point of yours worth anything at all is pointing out that his comments about Bettman were childish. Otherwise you are so far off the mark it isn't funny.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Dude said:

Seriously, I wish there was an ignore function, because I just got dumber reading your post.
pardon ?

the players have so far lost over a billion dollars this year alone.

dr

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Mountain Dude said:

The irony here is delicious. When this situation is resolved next year, I really hope one of the first things that we get to see is new free agent Jarome Iginla putting on a blue sweater with red and white trim.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Dude said:
Mario said right at the beginning of the lockout that even if they get the originally desired cap, they would still likely fold. Why do you think that Mario is part owner, did you ever think of that one?

Calgary: We've been losing money for over the last 8 years, wow, one profitable year, and then, oh, guess what, all the salaries go up 15-25%, or we just lose that player.
i never said CGY has or hasnt been losing money. thats their own fault. the fact is, i saw first hand (as a Calgarian) the economic power of this city when they are turned onto their team.

consider they dont have a local TV contract, and only recently got a small regional package and an even smaller pay per view package, not too mention the upper part of the arena that they never opened during games, there is plenty of room for revenue growth here and an appetite amongst the fans to consume it.

dr

Mountain Dude

DR said:
pardon ?

dr

No no, see, the players can't lose any money at all, because they nothing invested in this. They are merely employees, you can't lose money if you are an employee, you can only not make money.

And see, in the real world, you don't get to tell your boss how much you should make, you get told what you're making, and if you don't like it, than you can go to hell.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
DR said:
PIT ? i just had a passionate poster tell me how good a hockey market PIT is for TV and attendance and how well set up they are. PIT i am told is just fine.

MTL ? give me a break.

CGY ? CGY is probably the 3rd best place for a hockey team in all of the world.

EDM ? Maybe, too bad, but why kill the whole NHL just to save EDM.

dr

If you don't think Edmonton, Calgary & Pittsburgh are all in imminent danger, I believe you must have missed a boat which sailed a long time ago...

Mountain Dude

DR said:
i never said CGY has or hasnt been losing money. thats their own fault. the fact is, i saw first hand (as a Calgarian) the economic power of this city when they are turned onto their team.

consider they dont have a local TV contract, and only recently got a small regional package and an even smaller pay per view package, not too mention the upper part of the arena that they never opened during games, there is plenty of room for revenue growth here and an appetite amongst the fans to consume it.

dr

How is their own fault they lost money, a bad dollar, along with an ever increasing pay role meant it was impossible to make any money.

You can't get a TV contract if no one wants to watch you play. You can't fill those extra seats if no one is interested because you can't field a competitive team. Look, we fielded a good team once, and what happened, we can't afford to keep them anymore.

What happened with your Pittsburgh argument, did you not figure out why Mario was part owner?

Mountain Dude

Epsilon said:
The irony here is delicious. When this situation is resolved next year, I really hope one of the first things that we get to see is new free agent Jarome Iginla putting on a blue sweater with red and white trim.

What makes you say this will be resolved next year. And who cares where Jarome goes, all he's interested in is money, if there is a good cap, he can make as much money here as he will be able to make in NY.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Dude said:
No no, see, the players can't lose any money at all, because they nothing invested in this. They are merely employees, you can't lose money if you are an employee, you can only not make money.

And see, in the real world, you don't get to tell your boss how much you should make, you get told what you're making, and if you don't like it, than you can go to hell.
1) the players contracts have not been honoured due to an owners imposed work stoppage. they are not being paid what is rightfully, morally and contractually theirs. that is lost money.

2) you are damn right you can tell your boss how much you should make. any good boss would help you get to your goal.

dr

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Dude said:
What happened with your Pittsburgh argument, did you not figure out why Mario was part owner?
its not my argument, its the passion i hear from PIT fans. they have told anyone who would listen how they are a great hockey market.

dr

Mountain Dude

DR said:
1) the players contracts have not been honoured due to an owners imposed work stoppage. they are not being paid what is rightfully, morally and contractually theirs. that is lost money.

2) you are damn right you can tell your boss how much you should make. any good boss would help you get to your goal.

dr

:lol:

Wow, you're really dillusional. You go to your boss right now, and you say, I've just had an average year, if you want to keep me, pay me and extra 10%, see what he does, and if he "helps you get to your goal". :lol

You're not even worth arguing with clearly.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
DR said:
pardon ?

dr

Is comparing the losses of 700+ players with that of 30 owners really fair?
Think of it this way:

$1 billion/30 owners = $33.3 million per owner

$1 billion/720 players = $1.38 million per player

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
DR said:

dr

1. This, of course, is not true. There is no current CBA, which means the owners are absolutely within their right to lock out the players.

2. So, if I demand a 300 percent raise from my boss over the next decade, not only am I being reasonable, but any boss who refuses is a bad boss?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
The players are protecting their ability to make OVER $5 million per season.

How can one sympathize with an attempt to avoid a salary cap?

The teams aren't greedy. They are thinking long term.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
DR said:
pardon ?

dr

Perhaps thinking about how it is that each group came to lose their money... and perhaps consider that the Owners are not making money from their NHL franchises this season either.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
Is comparing the losses of 700+ players with that of 30 owners really fair?
Think of it this way:

$1 billion/30 owners = $33.3 million per owner

$1 billion/720 players = $1.38 million per player

I don't really think you can split things up like that. The owners aren't pocketing much of what's left after salaries.

But anyway... the reason the players are "losing" money is themselves. They could have got a deal signed at the start of the year and still get $1 billion, but they didn't. They want to "fight" for their principles and they're losing money. Tough luck. No sympathy from my side.

Brent Burns Beard