• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Which nation currently has the best wingers in the world ?

Russia:
LW:
Panarin
Kaprizov
Ovechkin
Buchnevich

RW:
Kucherov
Nichushkin
Svechnikov
Tarasenko

Canada:
LW:
Marchand
Stamkos
Huberdeau
Kyrou

RW:
Marner
Giroux
Stone
Hyman

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I think Marchand-Marner could match up well against Panarin-Kuch but the depth kind of falls off for Canada based on the player you’ve posted. Missing

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I think Marchand-Marner could match up well against Panarin-Kuch but the depth kind of falls off for Canada based on the player you’ve posted. Missing
Who am I missing ? I was kinda surprised there’s not that many elite players listed as wingers for Canada with a ton of centers, Stamkos and Huberdeau are listed as C, I believe

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
This is Russia. They have elite playmaking, big sized, and goal scoring. A bit of everything. Canada’s wingers were amazing with Perry, benn, Carter (used as a winger on TC), Nash and Heatley. Now Canada’s wingers are more playmaking small forwards like Huberdeau, marner, and kyrou…

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
When OV is the 4th (or 5th depending on how you rate Svechnikov) best winger on the team you know you have the best wingers.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Which nation currently has the best wingers in the world ?

Russia:
LW:
Panarin
Kaprizov
Ovechkin
Buchnevich

RW:
Kucherov
Nichushkin
Svechnikov
Tarasenko

Canada:
LW:
Marchand
Stamkos
Huberdeau
Kyrou

RW:
Marner
Giroux
Stone
Hyman

This is irrelevant since Canada would put elite centres on the wing like Barzal and Tavares etc

• Haha
Reactions: EdJovanovski

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Some people are still obsessed with nationality in this day and age.

Seems arbitrary to me.

Last edited:

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Russia AINEC, so much depth you forgot to even include their best winger

But Canada would put centres on the wing that would become at least equally good and possibly even better wingers than the Russians.

Russia lineup:
Panarin Malkin Kucherov
Kaprizov Kuznetsov Nichushkin
Ovechkin Namestnikov Svechnikov
Buchnevich Trenin Tarasenko

Canada lineup:
Huberdeau McDavid MacKinnon
Marchand Crosby Tavares
Stamkos - Barzal - Stone
Kadri - Bergeron - Marner

I wouldn’t say Russia has better wingers now

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
But Canada would put centres on the wing that would become at least equally good and possibly even better wingers than the Russians.

Russia lineup:
Panarin Malkin Kucherov
Kaprizov Kuznetsov Nichushkin
Ovechkin Namestnikov Svechnikov
Buchnevich Trenin Tarasenko

Canada lineup:
Huberdeau McDavid MacKinnon
Marchand Crosby Tavares
Stamkos - Barzal - Stone
Kadri - Bergeron - Marner

I wouldn’t say Russia has better wingers now
So Canada has better centers, Russia has better wingers
I took the question as looking at NHL wingers, are the Russian ones better or the Canadians
Not in a game between the two where you can just change their positions

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
So Canada has better centers, Russia has better wingers
I took the question as looking at NHL wingers, are the Russian ones better or the Canadians
Not in a game between the two where you can just change their positions

Yeah I get it just that the question seems a bit pointless in that case. It’s not that difficult (however not always preferable) for centres to play wing.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Russia has the better wingers. Pretty much always does.

It's a long-standing philosophical sort of thing, where Russian hockey seems to really emphasize and glamourize those offensively dynamite wingers. Whereas in Canadian hockey, the best players are more often than not, brought up playing Center. The best at that tend to remain there, playing Center through most of their careers in the NHL as well.

It why...if you fire up a "Better Centers" poll, it's an absolute landslide for Canada, who can just pile on the depth of top caliber Centers. You see it illustrated when the Olympics and other "Best on Best" type tournaments roll around, and half the Canadian Forwards are natural Centers, with a bunch of them playing Wing. Like, the last instance at the "World Cup", Canada had what...11 natural Centers on their team?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Some people are still obsessed with nationality in this day and age.

Seems arbitrary to me.
I know, it's sad

I think it stems from everyone knowing Crosby is obviously better than Ovechkin - and so a few Ovi fans play the nationality card....lame.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I know, it's sad

I think it stems from everyone knowing Crosby is obviously better than Ovechkin - and so a few Ovi fans play the nationality card....lame.

I have no doubt it feels that way in your little Canadian bubble (where the consensus claimed Evgeny Malkin isn't even a top 100 player).

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Russia. Canada's most talented players usually play center

I know, it's sad

Yah I think "obviously" is a big stretch. It would be hard to put one ahead of the other. Either way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad