Player Discussion Better prospect (baggage not withstanding)

Better prospect baggage notwithstanding?

• Total voters

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
If we ignore Kravtsov's baggage, who is the better prospect him or Othmann? We can pencil in our friend @EdJovanovski for one Kravtsov vote.
Kravtsov.... Mumble mumble... Playing against grown men... Mumble mumble... Needs to mature... Mumble mumble... Change of scenery...

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I know you can't compare the OHL and the KHL at all but there's something very f***ing satisfying about Othmann putting up 53 in 33 and not having to put it into historical context.

Reactions: haveandare

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I still think Kravtsov is better. I don't think he's an elite offensive talent, but I think he could be an incredibly useful top six piece who eventually does blossom into a star, like countryman Buchnevich.

Just talking natural ability. I do think he's a bit of a mess and if you asked me who I'd rather have all things considered, it would be Othmann.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I was impressed with Kravtsovs talent package but he never got close to putting up production like Othmann.

Kravtsov production has been average at best besides the playoffs before the draft

I also think Othmann will be an Oshie type

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I know you can't compare the OHL and the KHL at all but there's something very f***ing satisfying about Othmann putting up 53 in 33 and not having to put it into historical context.

Yeah and not having to come up with stats from out of the ass like point share. That said I'm still not sure it isn't Kravtsov.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I still think Kravtsov is better. I don't think he's an elite offensive talent, but I think he could be an incredibly useful top six piece who eventually does blossom into a star, like countryman Buchnevich.

Just talking natural ability. I do think he's a bit of a mess and if you asked me who I'd rather have all things considered, it would be Othmann.

I feel like he's a better prospect at this point than Buch was.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Not the greatest timing of the poll, Kravt hasn't played in weeks thanks to the league shutting down and him getting sick (or was it minor injury?) and Othmann was just named captain and is currently red hot in the OHL while having as good as a D+1 season you could hope for. With that said, the poll SHOULD be very close IMO, so I'll give a vote to Kravtsov. I could go either way.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I feel like he's a better prospect at this point than Buch was.
IDK, Buch's last two years before he came here were very good. He had 30 points in 48 games at age 19-20 and then 37 in 48 at age 20-21--including 29 in 40 with Severstal where IIRC he lead the team in scoring before being traded. And then as a rookie, he had that mysterious "core" thing, bit otherwise had 20 points in 41 games.

I think there may be some perception driven largely by draft pedigree that Kravtsov is more talented at the same age, but in terms of production I think Buchnevich is right there with him, if not ahead of him.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
For me, Kravtsov has superior skill, but Othman seems to just have some "it" factor. Needless to say, no comparisons can truly be made until both have played regularly in the NHL. Kravtsov is starting to feel like one of those guys that has tantalizing skills that far surpass his production to me. Of course, it is way too early to know if that is true.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
For me, Kravtsov has superior skill, but Othman seems to just have some "it" factor. Needless to say, no comparisons can truly be made until both have played regularly in the NHL. Kravtsov is starting to feel like one of those guys that has tantalizing skills that far surpass his production to me. Of course, it is way too early to know if that is true.

This is it.

Kravtsov is more skilled. Othmann gets more out of what he has.

Theres also a pretty real chance that he ends up leading the O in goals by the time the year is out. Thats pretty nice too.

I don't really see the point of the thread though. We can't ignore the baggage. It exists.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Even without the baggage - you have to still consider personality when you're thinking about prospects. Guy's with ego's that are too big for their own good will be more likely to not hit their potential, as they will not take advice and coaching as well. This is a fact of life in every profession. As such, I choose Othmann, I think Krav is going to limit himself.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
No one knows who will be better in 2,3,4 years but I can tell you right now who holds more value to this franchise.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This is it.

Kravtsov is more skilled. Othmann gets more out of what he has.

Theres also a pretty real chance that he ends up leading the O in goals by the time the year is out. Thats pretty nice too.

I don't really see the point of the thread though. We can't ignore the baggage. It exists.

What's the point of any thread? We're not making any decisions on Kravtsov so it's more interesting to discuss his value without the baggage since with baggage the only person on this board who would take Kravtsov is EdJ.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
if you are talking skill alone then Kravtsov. If you are asking who will end up being a more valuable NHLer it is Othmann. Your work ethic, your ability to handle adversity, your leadership, your drive, your ability to MAXIMIZE your natural skill are all “talents” in and of themselves. Saying Kravtsov seems lacking in pretty much all except natural skill is not harping on baggage. It’s evaluating a totality of attributes that may make you a good NHLer or not. The skill difference between Kravtsov and Othmann is no where near enough, IMO, to make up for the giant lead Othmann has in those other important areas. Kravtsov is what, 22? Where do you envision Othmann at that age?
In any case I like Kravtsov and if he ends up being a better NHLer than Othmann then the NYR, or whatever team gets him, will be lucky to have him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad