Boston Globe BETH TEITELL | COMMENTARY - Mission impossible? If you’re not already a Bruins fan, can you become one?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Attachments

• help.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I have attached the entire column

This is the crap Bruins fans in the city have endured for decades

I asked Wayne Cashman about the article and if he had any retort.

IMG_1171.jpeg

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
As for her theme that you can't become a Bruins or a hockey fan as an adult, well I call bullshit. I became a real Bruins & hockey fan at the age of 25. Last time I knew someone age 25 was considered an adult.

As @Donnie Shulzhoffer posted, thanks for the cat box liner!!! 🐈

"cant become a hockey fan as an adult"...a couple million people in Vegas figured out how to

bruinsden

PRO/BOS Bruins!!!
Jul 2, 2006
Rhode Island
I don't understand her point. Yes, it takes effort to build a hobby. You can still start as an adult.

Hockey players could market themselves a little better though. I think that is just the culture of the sport though.

Reactions: BMC

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I'm sorry, but I've taken dozens of people to live NHL hockey games who'd never seen a game before, and not one of them had the reaction that this nitwit did. I'm not saying every one of them became a lifelong fan, but every one thought it was an amazing experience. They were awed by the size and speed of the players, and all said they never expected it to be so good.

This writer obviously started with a premise, and backfilled her experience to "prove" that premise. A female Shank Shaughnessy in the making.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I don't understand her point. Yes, it takes effort to build a hobby. You can still start as an adult.

Hockey players could market themselves a little better though. I think that is just the culture of the sport though.

Exactly this isn't specific to the Bruins, the NHL or even Sports. If you are to learn any new hobby as an adult you will likely find some who question you. So what, if you have a spine, then you enjoy what you enjoy and you find your way. If the writer came here they would be welcomed. But not by all; Oh well.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
What a waste of reading time

It read like a pre- determined conclusion backfilled with anecdotes to prove a point

when I met my wife she was 27 and had never been to a game....we've had season tickets since we moved back to Boston in 2007 and when I used to have to travel for business she would text me updates from our seats ....yes hockey is a niche ( albeit growing) sport but to say you need to come to it early in life is disingenuous at best

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
My wife's first NHL hockey game was Game 7, 2011 against Montreal. She grew up in Arkansas - hockey doesn't exist down there.

She's become as hardcore a Bruins fan as you'll find. More than any other team/sport combined. This is garbage.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Hello lads, I saw this thread on the sidebar and came to be nosey. I enjoyed this:

1714489979956.png

I know nothing about the person writing this (or the overall culture in the city/state the article speaks of) but I can only assume the answer to the question is yes, as long as you actually have the mental capacity of an adult.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad