Best Young Goalie Trio

Status
Not open for further replies.

West19

Jul 19, 2004
im liking how st.louis is looking....Bacashihua,Schwartz,Divis and that other guy they picked up........

Bacchus

Nov 11, 2002
Dickes B
Visit site
guitaraholic said:
it's been so long ago that Beezer and Richter were 'developed' by the Rangers that it might as well be a different organization altogether.

True, but Kritty said, that they have an awful trackrecord of deleoping players. The development of Beezer and Richter tell something different...

Also you'll get some debate as to whether or not Cloutier was 'developed' by the Rangers.

What is wrong with Cloutier?

Finally Blackburn remains a huge question mark and was hardly "developed" by the Rangers at all. Matter of fact their complete and total lack of developing him is coming back to haunt them. So, no, I don't think it's safe to say the Rangers have/can "develop" goalies.

Well, you can argue that either way. "Their complete and total lack of developing" Blackburn is just because he was injured this WHOLE season. Hardly a Rangers' fault. He would have played in Hartford - and that would have been the best for him. For his development.
And why does that haunt them? The only thing that might haunt them is his injury. But, again: That is not the Rangers' fault.
I think he will play the next season in Hartford - best he and the Rangers can do. In the rebuilding mode - they (and especially Allaire) will do everything they can to develop him, Lundqvist and Montoya. And in a couple of years their track record of developing goalies looks even better. :)

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Kritty said:
I don't see how anyone can take someone besides Buffalo here. 3 young goalies not even in their prime yet who could all be starting for a team in the NHL very shortly compared to team's with "potential" goalies. There's that word that gets used way too often around here. There is no way you can compare any other teams young goalies to the Sabres.

Pittsburgh - Fleury is unproven and was worn out by NHL shooters last year. Caron is a backup in my books, he was only all rookie goalie because there was no one else. Chiodo has proven diddly. He hasn't even proven he can handle being a #1 in the AHL yet.

Atlanta - Lehtonen is the real deal, but after that, I don't see much. Hurme is overrated in my books and isn't even young anymore. Nurminen is a 2nd tier starter and is also not that young anymore. After that, there is little.

Rangers - Montoya is totally unproven outside of 1 tournament that seems to have everyone pegging him as a franchise goalie now which I don't understand. Blackburn has taken a step back and Lundqvist has never played a game of north american pro hockey.

I just don't see how any comparisons can be made.

Man Biron isn't that good.... Miller is slightly overratted by HF and alot of people on this board and Noranen is a Caron to me
I'd say rangers take this one.

Blackburn was awesome even @ 18 and Montoya looks excellent

we'll see in a few years though... date this thread lol

degroat*

They're lacking inthe experience department, but the Blues with Schwarz, Bacashihua, and Barulin are up there.

X-SHARKIE

Kritty has made some very silly coments haha.

First you nag on Bernier for being fat, when it's widely proven he isn no longer fat.

Now your saying Chiodo hasn't proven he can handle being #1 in the AHL?

DO you even follow hockey? Or just look at stats and there ages.

Man.

Chiodo was the MVP of the AHL Playoffs, He was amazing. Just because they fell apart in the last two games can't take away from his amazing performance threw the hole playoffs.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Kritty has made some very silly coments haha.

First you nag on Bernier for being fat, when it's widely proven he isn no longer fat.

Now your saying Chiodo hasn't proven he can handle being #1 in the AHL?

DO you even follow hockey? Or just look at stats and there ages.

Man.

Chiodo was the MVP of the AHL Playoffs, He was amazing. Just because they fell apart in the last two games can't take away from his amazing performance threw the hole playoffs.

Oh ya, I know absolutely nothing at all. I like to just shoot from the hip all the time. It gets a rise out of people like you.

1) What has Chiodo proven aside from one playoff run? Exactly. Nothing at all. He could very well fall right back down to earth and disappear like many a goalie has, or he could continue to develop as he has. My point was that he hasn't proven a single thing to me. One playoff run doesn't cement his place as a top notch goalie.

2) Every account I've heard is that Bernier is still not in proper playing shape. He's better than he was but still has some ways to go.

Anything else you care me to enlighten you on? Or should I just continue to babble about nothing at all and hope it comes across as knowledge?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Kritty said:
Oh ya, I know absolutely nothing at all. I like to just shoot from the hip all the time. It gets a rise out of people like you.

1) What has Chiodo proven aside from one playoff run? Exactly. Nothing at all. He could very well fall right back down to earth and disappear like many a goalie has, or he could continue to develop as he has. My point was that he hasn't proven a single thing to me. One playoff run doesn't cement his place as a top notch goalie.

2) Every account I've heard is that Bernier is still not in proper playing shape. He's better than he was but still has some ways to go.

Anything else you care me to enlighten you on? Or should I just continue to babble about nothing at all and hope it comes across as knowledge?
it wasn't just one playoff run though. he was the starting goalie for WBS for most of the season, and performed admirably(given the team) when called up to the NHL. he could have a sophomore jinx, but so far his development has been excellent.

dumpnchase

Apr 24, 2004
California
Kritty said:

Without going off-topic too far when was the last time you heard that he was fat? Was it when he was drafted? I haven't heard anyone who still claims him to be fat and would be curious to see who still considers him fat. Don't tell me its some tv analysits those guys are 9 times out of 10 just going by secondhand info.

As for Chiodo, a player has nothing to prove (except what he is capable of and can he deliver it) anywhere until he gets to the NHL. Chiodo looks like a good goalie that is still improving and very well could be the type of goalie that can carry a team on his back, he has already even shown that in the AHL.

If we go by your standards every goalie that loses a game or two in the AHL playoffs shouldn't be in the NHL. That would takeout (almost) every goalie in the NHL.

How many championships did Kipper or Nabokov win in the AHL? None
Are they good-great goalies? Yes

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
the thing that buffalo has over other teams is their third goalie
there may be several teams that have a better top 2 young goalie tandem
san jose certainly, colorado maybe, dont forget columbus
but when either miller biron or noronen is your third best young goalie, thats gotta be the best trio

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'd rank it:
Buffalo (all 3 will have solid NHL careers as starter or backup)
Atlanta (Lehtonen could be the best goalie in the game when all is said and done)
Pittsburgh (Fleury could be there to give Lehtonen and Luongo a run for it, Caron and Choido are fairly solid prospects)
Carolina (homer pick I know, but Cam Ward, Justin Peters, Magnus Akerlund and Kevin Nastiuk make for a prety solid top 4 prospects)
Rangers (deep set of players, but I'm not sold on Blackburn after the injury making it a solid top 2, but not top 3 IMO)

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
I could follow the others and say Crawford-Leighton-Brodeur, but i wont ;)

I like Nabokov-Toskala-Ehelechner also. No one ever pays attention to the sharks goalies besides sutter (the good one), but toskala is pretty awesome, expecially when you have nabokov in front of him

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
capman29 said:
Neither washington has the best trio and if you must know the top five young goalies.
No they don't.

Buffalo, Atlanta, NYR, Pittsburgh and a few others are stronger.

Daigneualt, Stana, Ouellet...who are the other two that make up the so called "top five young goalies". And don't say Matthew Yeats. None of these guys would make the top 5.

Kritty said:
Oh ya, I know absolutely nothing at all. I like to just shoot from the hip all the time

From what I've read in this thread, this seems like an appropriate description.

Last edited:

Pengunz

Jul 22, 2004
Chiodo unproven...think not

Since you have over 1200 posts which is quite impressive....try doing your research
on players before you bash them!!! Remember the Penguins 18 game winless streak
who do you think helped stop that??????? click on the link below:) go to bottom of the page. His NHL record this year was 8 games, 3 wins, 4 losses, 1 tie. 3.46 GAA, and .892 SP. Not bad for a first year goalie on a last place team with a leaky defense. So contrary to what you might think, he has proven a little more than "one playoff run".
http://sports.pittsburghlive.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=pittsburghlive&page=nhl/scores/final/boxscore.aspx?GAMEID=3871

Last edited:

Reilly311

Pittsburgh by far. How can anyone say the Rangers? You know why they draft montoya? cause Danny might not ever be able to play well again. As for Buffalo, Biron will be 27 by the next season, I don't consider him "young". Miller is becoming more and more overrated every game in the NHL he plays. He's still got to prove he can play in the NHL and play well.

For thoes who say Toskala can't be a #1 goalie needs to put the crack pipe down. The Sharks are awesome at developing goalies. Hedberg was 5th on their depth chart when he was traded to Pittsburgh.

I think Detroit has some really really good goalie prospects in Liv, Howard, and Macdonald. I think they'll surpirse some people. Also, Chicago coule have some great goalies in a couple years. Don't forget about the Blues either.

All three of Pittsburghs goalies have played in the NHL and played well. I'd take them any day of the week.

Bacchus

Nov 11, 2002
Dickes B
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
Pittsburgh by far. How can anyone say the Rangers? You know why they draft montoya? cause Danny might not ever be able to play well again.

The reason they drafted Montoya is that he was the BPA...
Even when you leave Blackburn out, you still have Montoya, Lundqvist and someone like Holt or Labarbera.
That Blackburn might not be able to play well again is nothing but a conjecture. We all have to wait and see...

thrashers=cup05

May 27, 2004
thestonedkoala said:
Other:

Lehtonen, Nurminen, Hurme (if he returns), and Garnett

Lehtonen steals it by himself, but when you add in Nurminen its a lock. Polls should have more than two choices and other to be effective

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I'd have to take Boston
Raycroft-this years rookie of the year, Toivonen(sp?)-many say he is better than Raycroft, and Sigalet.
A close 2nd has to be Pittsburgh, I feel they could prove to be better than Bostons trio, but I want to see Fluery for a full year.

capman29

[Daigneualt, Stana, Ouellet...who are the other two that make up the so called "top five young goalies". And don't say Matthew Yeats. None of these guys would make the top 5.

Sorry about that but I did make a small mistake it is not the top 5 but the top 6 :
Quellet,Stans,Daigneualt,Ghersen, Eddy & Muller . Of these six goalies Muller is the lowest one and in the 2004 draft class they added another that is projecte to be a good goalie in the NHL. Othat group at lest three will be #1 goalies either in washington or somewhere else.If you are looking for quality young goaltenders washington has the marke cornered. ;)

TRask

Dec 8, 2003
Halifax
capman29 said:
[Daigneualt, Stana, Ouellet...who are the other two that make up the so called "top five young goalies". And don't say Matthew Yeats. None of these guys would make the top 5.

Sorry about that but I did make a small mistake it is not the top 5 but the top 6 :
Quellet,Stans,Daigneualt,Ghersen, Eddy & Muller . Of these six goalies Muller is the lowest one and in the 2004 draft class they added another that is projecte to be a good goalie in the NHL. Othat group at lest three will be #1 goalies either in washington or somewhere else.If you are looking for quality young goaltenders washington has the marke cornered. ;)

lol are u serious?!?!? Of all them only one will be a #1. And thats Ouellet. But thats not even a 100% You need to get ur facts straight and stop gettting caught up in the scouting reports you read, cuase you are obviously misinformed if u feel that at least 3 of those goaltenders will be #1's. I say Ouellet has a chance and thats all
:teach:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->