Best/Worst trades by team

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Good trade for Calgary: Joe Nieuwendyk for Corey Millen and Jarome Iginla.
Good trade for Dallas as well.

We got Hagman for a 7, I'll do that all day.

Can't think of a really bad trade for Dallas, but giving up Nieuwendyk + Langenbrunner in exchange for Arnott and Randy McKay stings a little bit.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
If you considers the Nords, then
Mats Sundin to TOR
for
Wendell Clark to QUE

Is absolutely BRUTAL.
Quebec got Lefebrve in the deal as well who was very useful in '96. Still a bad deal. I think Todd Warriner also went to T.O. and some picks changed hands.

Forget Naslund and Luongo, The Butcher for a 2nd line trade is the Canucks best. Linden for Bertuzzi, McCabe and a 3rd (Jarkko Ruutu) is none too shabby either.

Sundstrom for McLean and Adams was sweet as well.

Neely is definitely the worst. Aucoin for Cloutier hurts. Bure, Hedican and headcase for Jovanovski and crap was also a brutal one.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Neely is definitely the worst. Aucoin for Cloutier hurts. Bure, Hedican and headcase for Jovanovski and crap was also a brutal one.

Aucoin for Cloutier wasn't that bad. Aucoin never did anything for Tampa Bay and played great on the Island. Sorta the samething with the Bure of Jovo deal. The Neely was the worst, no doubt about that.

mapletoft

Jan 3, 2006
Zubov trades

22-Jun-96: Dallas Stars traded Kevin Hatcher to the Pittsburgh Penguins for Sergei Zubov.

31-Aug-95: Pittsburgh Penguins traded Ulf Samuelsson and Luc Robitaille to the New York Rangers for Petr Nedved and Sergei Zubov.

16-Jun-90: Drafted by the New York Rangers in the 5th round (85th overall) in 1990.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
I still think the Chelios/Savard trade was the worst one the Habs have made. Yes, worse than the Roy or Leclair/Desjardins trades, because the Habs still got better assets in the the Roy and Leclair/Desjardins trades.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
How about when the Vancouver Canucks traded Cam Neely and its first-round draft pick in 1987 to the Boston Bruins for Barry Pederson? :amazed:

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
How about when the Vancouver Canucks traded Cam Neely and its first-round draft pick in 1987 to the Boston Bruins for Barry Pederson? :amazed:

The 1st turning out to be Glen Wesley.

Runner up for the worst Canucks trade...
Rick Vaive and Bill Derlago to the Leafs for Tiger Williams and Jerry Butler.

Best... Luongo or Naslund

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
Dave Babych for Ray Neufeld.

Jets GM Ferguson was looking for a "power forward" or at least somebody who could fight and play better than Jimmy Mann (a huge squandered pick back in 79). He traded Babych, the 2nd pick overall in '80, who was entering his prime. Babych was expendable because of the Jets recent acquisition of Randy Carlye. Ferguson thought his D had depth.

But Neufeld had hands of stone, couldn't score much even playing with Hawerchuck. He never scored more than 20 goals. He was done in a few years. Babych became an important piece of the Whalers' late 80's renaissance, and went on to enjoy playing time with the Canucks and Flyers. He was in the league for almost 20 years.

After a 96 point season in 84-85, the Jets were .500 when they traded Babych. They immediately went on a multiple game losing streak. Shortly after the trade they visited Hartford... and got hammered 7-1 (IRC).

The chemistry and confidence of the team was destroyed by this trade. Coach of the year Barry Long was soon out of a job and the Jets (thought to be team on the rise) finished with 40 less points tha the year before. They were swept in the first round by Calgary, an outfit they had beaten previously in the playoffs.

Yeah, I'm still bitter.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
too many to chose from for the Isles, but these hurt!

Luongo and Jokinen to Florida for Kvasha and Parris

Zigmund Palffy, Bryan Smolinski & Marcel Cousineau to the LA Kings for Jokinen, Josh Green and Mathieu Biron

Zdeno Chara, Bill Muckalt and #1 pick, 2nd overall (Jason Spezza) to the Sens for Alexei Yashin

Pierre Turgeon and Vladimir Mahlakov to Montreal for Kirk Muller, Mathieu Scnheider and Craig Darby

good islander trades:

Billy Harris and Dave Lewis to the Kings for Butch Goring.

Bob Lorimer and Dave Cameron to the Colorado Rockies for their #1 pick (Pat LaFontaine)

Pat Laforntaine, Randy Wood & Randy Hillier to Buffalo for Pierre Turgeon, Benoit Hogue, Uwe Krupp and Dave McLlwayne

Wendel Clark, Mathieu Schneider and D.J. Smith to the leafts for Kenny Jonsson, Darby Hendrickson, Sean Haggerty and Toronto's first pick in the 1997 Entry Draft (Roberto Luongo) (probably the BEST milbury trade)

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
When Montreal traded Roy, there was no way they were going to win that trade ever. The pressure was on to move Roy and unless you get Sakic or Forsberg back, which was never going to happen, it was a lose/lose situation.

Another bad trade by Montreal - moving Langway and Engblom for Walter and ?. They could have done much better.

A great trade by Montreal - Kordic for Courtnall.

I cannot recall the circumstances of why Dionne was traded out of Detroit, but that was a horrible deal. Can someone elaborate?

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Whatever trade the Rangers made to get rid of Sergei Zubov, was their worst deal.

Zubov made that 1994 team along with aging superstars.

Dint they trade him to the Penguins with Nedved for Robitaille and Samuelsson? Not a bad trade.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
It's kinda hard to slam teams for trading non-prospects for prospects and one or more of the prospects just happens to pan out bigtime.

Here are just some of the ones I remember that weren't based mainly on picks or prospects:

Toronto Worst: Gilmour to Calgary for Leeman

- Ror

Might want to recheck that one.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Off the top of my head:

New Jersey best trades:

1990 first round pick (#11-Trevor Kidd), 1990 second round pick (#32-Vesa Viitakoski) to Flames for 1990 first round pick (#20-Martin Brodeur), 1990 second round pick (#24-David Harlock), 1990 second round pick (#29-Chris Gotziaman) on 1990-06-16

Tom Kurvers for Toronto's 1st round draft pick (1991) that became a 2nd overall used to select Scott Niedermayer

Sean Burke and Eric Weinrich for Bobby Holik and Hartford's 2nd rounder (used to select Jay Pandolfo) (1992 offseason)

Corey Millen for Neil Broten (1995 deadline)

Brendan Morrison & Denis Pederson for Alexander Mogilny (2000 deadline)

Jason Arnott & Randy McKay for Joe Nieuwendyk & Jamie Langenbrunner (2002 deadline)

Cam Jansen for Bryce Salvador (2008 deadline)

New Jersey worst trades:

Claude Lemieux in a 3-way deal that brought back Steve Thomas (1995 offseason)

Willie Mitchell for Sean O'Donnell (2001 deadline)

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I'd say the best for the Preds would be either trading 2 2nds for Stevie Sullivan, who was .99 ppg before his horrific injury or trading two UFA's for Sergei Kostitsyn, who led our team in scoring in '10-11.

As for the worst trades there aren't many with Poile being so stingy, but swapping picks with Ottawa and choosing Chet Pickard while they land Karlsson is going to give us nightmares for years.

Considering how often we draft defenders early and how good we are at developing them he could have been our crown jewel, imagine Weber-Karlsson on the pp. Instead we draft a goalie in the 1st and he's quickly becoming a bust.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Some of the Best

March 4, 1972

Buffalo Sabres acquire:
Rene Robert

Pittsburgh Penguins acquire:
Eddie Shack

August 7, 1992
Buffalo Sabres acquire
Dominik Hasek
Chicago Blackhawks acquire
Stephane Beauregard
1993 4th round pick (#90-Eric Daze)

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
I'd say the best for the Preds would be either trading 2 2nds for Stevie Sullivan, who was .99 ppg before his horrific injury or trading two UFA's for Sergei Kostitsyn, who led our team in scoring in '10-11.

As for the worst trades there aren't many with Poile being so stingy, but swapping picks with Ottawa and choosing Chet Pickard while they land Karlsson is going to give us nightmares for years.

Considering how often we draft defenders early and how good we are at developing them he could have been our crown jewel, imagine Weber-Karlsson on the pp. Instead we draft a goalie in the 1st and he's quickly becoming a bust.

Had Poile even identified Karlsson as someone they were going to pick? It seemed like Ottawa was the only team set on taking him early on.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
For the Wild, the trades in the early years didn't really do much for the long-term state of the franchise, so the most important trades as I see it were:

Best
Heatley for Havlat.

Havlat didn't fit with the Wild and Heatley has been a perfect fit.

Worst
Cam Barker for Kim Johnsson and Nick Leddy.

Pre-concussion, Johnsson was a very good NHL top-4 Dman, and even if Leddy has struggled at points with the Hawks, those two should have brought in a lot more than Cam...turd sandwich Barker.

When this trade went down, I was working in Chicago at the time, and my Hawks-fan co-worker who got the news first just started laughing at me. Terrible feeling.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
best :

Seals' 1971 first-round pick and François Lacombe in return for Montreal's 1970 first-round pick and veteran Ernie Hicke

first round pick obtained from the seals ended up being Guy Lafleur

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Had Poile even identified Karlsson as someone they were going to pick? It seemed like Ottawa was the only team set on taking him early on.

I seem to remember Karlsson climbing the ranks towards the end of the season, I believe some predicted he'd go mid 1st round, not out of the realms of possibility. Besides if we didn't choose Karlsson we still could have had Gardiner, and if we still traded picks and decided not to pick Pickard we could have had Eberle, Del Zotto, or even Sbisa would have been a better pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad