Best/Worst trades by team

kili85

Feb 11, 2007
Oulu
Hello

There is lots of trade chains around...let's put all in one.

Name best/worst trade for every club..

Let's try to make whole list

Best/Worst

Anaheim: Selänne from Winnipeg/Selänne to San Jose
Atlanta:Savard from Boston/Pothier to Ottawa for McEachern
Boston:Espo deal/Thornton trade
Buffalo:Hasek/
Calgary:KIPPER/the infamous 10 player deal with Toronto
Carolina: /Ron Francis, Ulf Samuelsson, Grant Jennings->PIT, John Cullen, Zarley Zalapski, Jeff Parker->HAR
Chicago:Havlat and smolinski last summer/Esposito deal
Colorado:Roy or Lindros/Drury
Columbus:Modin and Norrena for Denis/
Dallas:Zubov from NYR for K.Hatcher/Niinimaa, Corson, V Bure...list goes on and on
Detroit:Larry Murphy for draft pick/Ted Lindsay and Glenn Hall to Chicago
Edmonton:Ranford and Courtnall for Moog/All the dynasty ending trades at 1988-1992
Florida:Jokinen and luongo from islanders/LUONGO to Vancouver!!!
LA:Norström from Rangers/Goring to NYI for Harris
Minnesota:Manny for couple draft picks/Andy Sutton to Atlanta for Hnat Domenichelli
Montreal: /everything contacted with Roy-trade
Nashville:
New Jersey:Bobby Holik and 2nd round (Jay Pandolfo)-> NJ, Sean Burke, Eric Weinrich ->HAR/Claude Lemieux -> COL, Steve Thomas ->NJ

NY Islanders:Smyth/Yashin deal and many other Mad Mike's deals
NY Rangers:Messier from Oilers, and all the trades at 94 deadline/Middleton to Boston for Hodge
Ottawa:Yashin to NYI/Demitra to St Louis for Olsson
Philly:LeClair and others from Montreal/
Phoenix:/Briere to Buffalo for Gratton
Pittsburgh:the 91 deadline deal with Hartford/Näslund
San Jose:Thornton/
St Louis:Brett Hull from Calgary/many choises (Mullen to Calgary, Gilmour to Calgary and of course Courtnall, ronning etc to Vancouver)
Tampa Bay:
Toronto:Mats Sundin from Quebec/Sittler out for costello
Vancouver:Näslund or Luongo/Neely to boston for Pederson
Washington:

I just start the list, but i'm going to fill those blanks as soon as I get some suggestions...those couple are just examples

Last edited:

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
for devils i'd suggest
worst -
Dave Ellett, Doug Gilmour and a 3rd round selection to devils for Jason Smith, Steve Sullivan and the rights to Alyn McCauley.
or
Claude Lemiuex for Steve Thomas

Best -
wolanin for a first (scott niedermayer)

if that's cheap then i'd go with

Sean Burke and Eric Weinrich to whalers for Bobby Holik and a 2nd round selection (Jay Pandolfo)

soundtigersfan

Feb 28, 2007
CT
Hartford Whalers/Carolina Hurricanes: Ron Francis, Ulf Samuelsson, and Grant Jennings to the Pittsburgh Penguins for John Cullen, Zarley Zalapski, and Jeff Parker. Also of note was first-round picks in 1995, 1996, and 1997 for Glen Wesley from the Boston Bruins. All three ended up being top ten picks. :banghead:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
for devils i'd suggest
worst -
Dave Ellett, Doug Gilmour and a 3rd round selection to devils for Jason Smith, Steve Sullivan and the rights to Alyn McCauley.
or

Best -

Sean Burke and Eric Weinrich to whalers for Bobby Holik and a 2nd round selection (Jay Pandolfo)
If you are including the Rockies there just about any trade they did could be considered the worst.

Barry Beck to the Rangers
1982 #1 overall to the Bruins...

Randal Graves

I like Ron
Sep 26, 2005
for devils i'd suggest
worst -
or

Best -

I believe it was Tom Kurvers for the 1st pick not Wolanin.

The real question is, out of all the bad trades they've made, which is the worst trade by the Islanders?

Hartford HockeyFan

Apr 14, 2006
Best trade:
Hartford Whalers/Carolina Hurricanes: Ron Francis, Ulf Samuelsson, and Grant Jennings to the Pittsburgh Penguins for John Cullen, Zarley Zalapski, and Jeff Parker. Also of note was first-round picks in 1995, 1996, and 1997 for Glen Wesley from the Boston Bruins. All three ended up being top ten picks. :banghead:

San Jose: Joe Thornton

SimonSays

Sep 18, 2005
Ahuntsic
Calgary's worst ever trade: Doug Gilmour, Jamie Macoun, Ric Nattress, Kent Manderville, and Rick Wamsley in exchange for Gary Leeman, Alexander Godynuk, Jeff Reese, Michel Petit and Craig Berube. The 10 player deal was the largest in NHL history, and statistically speaking, one of the most lopsided.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Vancouver's worst trade was obviously Neely for Pederson

Rangers worst was Middleton for Hodge

L.A.'s worst was Goring for Harris

Davey Duck

Mar 26, 2006
*Stolen from Detroit
For the Ducks:

Best - Chad Kilger+Oleg Tverdovsky+3rd for Teemu Selanne+Marc Choinard+4th

Worst - Teemu Selanne for Jeff Friesen+Steve Shields+2nd

The Pronger trade may be a close second for best, but I think Teemu has had a significant impact on the way this franchise has turned out that he deserves as much credit as Pronger for whatever happens in the next few seasons.

I can't even think of a second for worst. There haven't been a whole lot of major screwups in the trade department as far as I can remember other than that one.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I think the best trade in Flyers' history is Doug Favell and a 1st (Bob Neely) to Toronto for Bernie Parent and a second-round pick (Larry Goodenough). It is the most important trade in the team's history.

The LeClair/Desjardins acqusition from Montreal (Recchi was the main component headed to the Canadiens) can probably be rivaled by two others:

1. Greg Adams, Ken Linseman, 1st rounder (David Jensen) and a 3rd (Leif Karlsson) to Hartford for Mark Howe and a 3rd (Derrick Smith).

2. Mike "Shaky" Walton to Boston for Rick MacLeish (and Danny Shock).

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Best trades for the Blue Jackets:

1. Fredrik Modin + Fredrik Norrena for Marc Denis.

2. Jaroslav Spacek + 2nd round pick (Dan Fritsche) for Lyle Odelein.

mapletoft

Jan 3, 2006
Edmonton Oilers:

Worst -

Gretzky trade!
Mark Messier for Louie DeBrusk, Steve Rice and Bernie Nicholls
Miro Satan for Barrie Moore and Craig Millar
Geoff Courtnall for Greg Adams (not the Devils/Canucks Adams)

Best -

Steve Smith for Dave Manson
Andy Moog for Bill Ranford and Geoff Courtnall
Craig McTavish for Todd Marchant
Esa Tikkanen for Doug Weight
Shayne Corson & 2 1st Round Picks for Curtis Joseph and Mike Grier
*Getting Bryan Marchment as compensation for Steve Rice

SakicAllStar

Jan 13, 2007
Canada
To Colorado: Patrick Roy, Mike Keane
To Montreal: Jocelyn Thibault, Martin Rucinsky, Andrei Kovalenko

Enough said.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If you considers the Nords, then
Mats Sundin to TOR
for
Wendell Clark to QUE

Is absolutely BRUTAL.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Based upon what they gave up I think the Roy/Keane deal was better and more important.

It's hard to say. In the "Worst Trade Chain" Thread I broke down the Lindors trade and pretty much every major Colorado deal over the course of their existence was affected by that trade.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's hard to say. In the "Worst Trade Chain" Thread I broke down the Lindors trade and pretty much every major Colorado deal over the course of their existence was affected by that trade.

True, but they did give up a major chip in Lindros. To aquire arguably the best goalie of all-time and another crucial piece in winning the Cup they gave up very little.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
True, but they did give up a major chip in Lindros. To aquire arguably the best goalie of all-time and another crucial piece in winning the Cup they gave up very little.

No doubt. Thibeault, Rucinsky, and Kovalenko for Roy and Keane is a great trade. Trading for Lindros for 8 assets (7 players and a first over-all pick) is amazing.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
LA trading their 1st round pick in 1979 to Boston. I forget the goalie the Kings got, but Boston got Ray Bourque.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->