Best/Worst Trade Deadline Day Trade

TomWaits

Feb 27, 2002
With not much happening on the trade front I got to thinking about the worst and best Trade Deadline moves. What were some of the best and some of the worst.

Certainly Ron Francise & Ulf Samuelssonfrom from Hartford to Zarley Zalapski & John Cullen from Pitt is up there as a worst trade

As a Leaf Fan

Olan Nolan for Boyes, McCauley and a first Steve Bernier (yikes)

cornelius

Sep 20, 2005
Pensacola, FL
My vote for one of the worst.
19-Mar-02:Washington Capitals traded Adam Oates to the Philadelphia Flyers for Maxime Ouellet, a 1st (later traded to Dallas - Martin Vagner), a 2nd (Maxime Daigneault) and a 3rd (Derek Krestanovich) round selections in 2002. :shakehead

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Mar.10/1980: L.A trades Butch Goring to the Islanders for Billy Harris and Dave Lewis

No comment necessary

Mar.7/1988: Calgary trades Brett Hull and Steve Bozek to St. Louis for Rob Ramage and Rick Wamsley

Calgary did win the Cup the next season, but Ramage and Wamsley were hardly the reason. In the years after that they would consistently lose in the first round, and you have to wonder if Hull could have got the goals in those series that the other Flames couldn't.

Mar.10/03: Phoenix trades Daniel Briere to Buffalo for Chris Gratton.

Didn't have any playoff implications that year, but looks like a steal for Buffalo now.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
My vote for one of the worst.
19-Mar-02:Washington Capitals traded Adam Oates to the Philadelphia Flyers for Maxime Ouellet, a 1st (later traded to Dallas - Martin Vagner), a 2nd (Maxime Daigneault) and a 3rd (Derek Krestanovich) round selections in 2002. :shakehead

Worked out better for Philly than it did for Washington. Textbook example of how overrated prospects/picks can be at the deadline and why GMs are willing to 'overpay' for established players.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Worked out better for Philly than it did for Washington. Textbook example of how overrated prospects/picks can be at the deadline and why GMs are willing to 'overpay' for established players.
I wouldn't say that it worked out for Philly since they lost in the 1st round, then Oates signed with Anaheim. But it didn't turn out to be the robbery everyone made it out to be at the time.

Traded draft picks tend to be judged on how good the drafted player turned out, but different teams make different selections. Who knows, maybe if Philly kept that 1st rounder they may have drafted Jarret Stoll instead of Vagner.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
What is your qualifications?

The Francis deal was a huge win for Pitts.

The Hull trade is a very fair trade. So was Amonte for Noonan and Matteau.

Remember the first rule of judging deadline dealing. If you won the cup, you can't lose a deadline deal.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004

The Caps used one of those picks to trade up so they could draft Alexander Semin. We in Washington are very happy with the trade.

GMGM actually wanted to trade all three #1 picks to Columbus so they could draft Rick Nash but Columbus wouldn't do it.

Haik

Feb 11, 2005
One of the best that I can remember

To Col: Blake + reinprecht

To LA: Deadmarsh, Miller, Aulin, 1st + 1st

Kings went on to defeat the heavy favorite Red Wings and took the Avs to game 7 while the Avs went on to win the cup.

Ogopogo*

Mar.10/03: Phoenix trades Daniel Briere to Buffalo for Chris Gratton.

Didn't have any playoff implications that year, but looks like a steal for Buffalo now.

That looked like a steal when it happened as well. As soon as I saw that one on the ticker I said "What the hell is Barnett doing?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad