best/worst "prospect" trade in the last 10 years..ever??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyGuy1011

Nov 14, 2003
but look at what forsberg did for the avs...was one of if not the most major reason the avs won their two cups...they went to the finals in 1996, just a few years after the trade and swept the panthers...the flyer went the next year and GOT swept...do you think tanguay and hejduk would be as good if they hadnt played with forsberg??

devildan

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
HockeyGuy1011 said:
but look at what forsberg did for the avs...was one of if not the most major reason the avs won their two cups...they went to the finals in 1996, just a few years after the trade and swept the panthers...the flyer went the next year and GOT swept...do you think tanguay and hejduk would be as good if they hadnt played with forsberg??

With a healthy lindros - yes. Lindros was better and still would be better if it wasnt for his concussion problems.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
HockeyGuy1011 said:
hey everyone, what would you say is the best and worst prospect trade in the last 10 years?? how about ever??
im not sure about ever, but i have two definite ones set in the last 10 or so years...(my worst is actually 11 years ago)

BEST: Flyers trade Ruslan Fedotenko to the Lightning for their 2002 1st round draft pick (eventually Joni Pitkanen, who is one of the best prospects in the world right now)

WORST: Flyers trade Peter Forsberg, Chris Simon, Ron Hextall, Mike Ricci, Steve Duchense, Kerry Huffman, 1st round pick in 1993 (Jocelyn Thibault), 1st round pick in 1994 (Nolan Baumgartner), and cash to the Nordiques for Eric Lindros

i think everyone will agree with me that this is probably the worst trade EVER!! lol
thanks

Ditto,

FOrsberg package>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lindros

Now, if that was redone, switch Lindros and Forsberg and it MIGHT be even.

thestonedkoala

What if this happened?

What if Sidney Crosby didn't sign and you had a chance to get him? What would you offer him?

Let's say this Anaheim wants him all right?

So they give Washington or whatever, Chistov, Lupul, a 1st rounder, Gerber, and one or two other role players...

ASSUMING that this happened...

Who got the better deal?

HockeyGuy1011

Nov 14, 2003
thestonedkoala said:
What if this happened?

What if Sidney Crosby didn't sign and you had a chance to get him? What would you offer him?

Let's say this Anaheim wants him all right?

So they give Washington or whatever, Chistov, Lupul, a 1st rounder, Gerber, and one or two other role players...

ASSUMING that this happened...

Who got the better deal?
good point....i think crosby will be a little more hyped before the draft than lindros was though...

Leetchie

Mar 3, 2002
Hillsborough, NJ
Visit site
SCHL Commish said:
Maltby and Satan have never been dealt for each other. It was Barrie Moore and Craig Millar to Edmonton for Satan.

Thank you. All this time I thought it was a straight up deal, but I never put together that Maltby went from Edmonton to Detroit and Satan went from Edmonton to Buffalo. LOL

The Satan deal looks even worse now.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
whlfanatic said:
Baumgartner was drafted by the Caps not the Flyers.

He said the Flyers' pick was eventually used to draft Baumgartner. Ie, after a trade, the Capitals ended up with with the Flyers' pick through Quebec.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
craig1 said:
I believe it was Fedotenko and 2 2nd round picks. Maybe this was should be laid off of until we see the final result. I know Pitkanen is a world class prospect, but lets wait 4 or 5 years and let all parties involved pan out..................Some say the Nordiques got too little for Lindros........It doesn't look that way now....

Philly:
4th overall (D Joni Pitkanen)

TB:
RW Ruslan Fedotenko
34th overall (later traded for D Brad Lukowich)
---------- 52nd overall (traded for 60th overall and 162nd overall)
60th overall (RW Adam Heinrich)
162nd overall (D Gerard Dicaire)

HF has Henrich and Dicaire as the organization's 5th and 10th best prospects.

Lukowich and Fedotenko helped the Lightning regain some legitimacy last year which I think should be taken into consideration on the Lightning side. If I were a long suffering Lightning fan, I would have appreciated Jay Feaster's aggressiveness in doing the trade since he was basically saying "We don't need another prospect, we need a couple young guys that can play right now and get us into the playoffs."

Full props to Bobby Clarke for getting a blue chipper with some expendable assets.

leafaholix*

The Leafs acquiring Mats Sundin.

To Quebec:
F Wenden Clark
F Landon Wilson
D Sylvain Lefebvre
1st Round Pick in 1994 (Jeffrey Kealty)

To Toronto:
F Mats Sundin
F Todd Warriner
F Garth Butcher
1st Round Pick in 1994 (Nolan Baumgartner)

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
HockeyGuy1011 said:
ok, say that the lindros trade never went down and lindros was on the avs and they never had anyone to trade for roy...would they still have won their cups?? DEFINITELY not...would philadelphia have won any cups with forsberg, plus their draftees? its a big possibility...would hejduk and tanguay developed the same without being under the wing of forsberg, i dont no...but i say that if you look from a past standpoint, the trade sucked, and if you look at it today, it still sucks

Yes, the Avs still would have won Stanley Cups.

People seem to forget that when both Lindros & Forsberg were healthy in the mid-to late 90's Lindros was the better player.

Hejduk & Tanguay first starred on a line with Joe Sakic, they would have developed very nicely.

leafaholix*

Everytime I see the Flyers ahead of the Leafs on the standings or when they beat us... I always go back to that trade and giggle like a school girl, thinking how they shipped out Peter Forsberg+ for Eric Lindros.

Now they're left with Kim Johnsson... for the greatest player in the world.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
go pierre hedin said:
Everytime I see the Flyers ahead of the Leafs on the standings or when they beat us... I always go back to that trade and giggle like a school girl, thinking how they shipped out Peter Forsberg+ for Eric Lindros.

Now they're left with Kim Johnsson... for the greatest player in the world.

Kim Johnsson, Donald Brashear & Sami Kapanen.

Just keep looking up at us in the standings.

Also when I think of the Leafs, I tend to think of game 7, of that 7-2 whitewashing of the Leafs this year.

leafaholix*

When I think of the Flyers, I think of them passing up on Curtis Joseph to sign John Vanbeeeesbroeuakeism.

P.S... I appologize to all the Dutch on HF.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
HockeyGuy1011 said:
but look at what forsberg did for the avs...was one of if not the most major reason the avs won their two cups...

Hmmmmm

1st Cup . Joe Sakic ties an NHL record with 19 posteason goals.

2nd Cup. Forsberg is injured and can't play in the Western Conference Finals or the Stanley Cup Finals.

Forsberg was certainly a part of the Cup wins, but let's not forget about the other Avs.

leafaholix*

John Flyers Fan said:
The differene being nobody is putting up either Hackett or Esche for sainthood.
Nobody put up Joseph for sainthood.

But signing "Beezer" over "CuJo" was yet another dumb move by Booby...

Player.................GP.....W....L....T
John Vanbiesbrouck ...112....52...33...24
Curtis Joseph.........249...133...88...27

J.V.: 6 Playoff Games
C.J: 2 All-Star games, 1 Olympic Gold Medal, 60 Playoff Games

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
go pierre hedin said:
Nobody put up Joseph for sainthood.

But signing "Beezer" over "CuJo" was yet another dumb move by Booby...

Player.................GP.....W....L....T
John Vanbiesbrouck ...112....52...33...24
Curtis Joseph.........249...133...88...27

J.V.: 6 Playoff Games
C.J: 2 All-Star games, 1 Olympic Gold Medal, 60 Playoff Games

CuJo had a whole lot to do with that Gold Medal. :shakehead

Flyers went to a game 7 in the East Finals during the time that CuJo was in Toronto, which is further than he ever went.

Flyers wanted Richter, first. After he wouldn't leave New York they had Beezer & CuJo ranked as even.

Beezer took less years & less money, that was the difference. Flyers wouldn't have won a Cup with CuJo either

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
Brodeur said:
Philly:
4th overall (D Joni Pitkanen)

TB:
RW Ruslan Fedotenko
34th overall (later traded for D Brad Lukowich)
---------- 52nd overall (traded for 60th overall and 162nd overall)
60th overall (RW Adam Heinrich)
162nd overall (D Gerard Dicaire)

HF has Henrich and Dicaire as the organization's 5th and 10th best prospects.

Lukowich and Fedotenko helped the Lightning regain some legitimacy last year which I think should be taken into consideration on the Lightning side. If I were a long suffering Lightning fan, I would have appreciated Jay Feaster's aggressiveness in doing the trade since he was basically saying "We don't need another prospect, we need a couple young guys that can play right now and get us into the playoffs."

Full props to Bobby Clarke for getting a blue chipper with some expendable assets.

I don't think that there is much to defend in this trade. Fedotenko has 3 points and a -1 in 20 games this year.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
A lot of you aren't really analyzing the Lindros-Forsberg trade properly. If you look at everybody they got in the trade, and then who they traded those guys for it turns out that almost half of their cup winning team came from that trade.

EDIT: Looks like from an article I found that Forsberg, Deadmarsh, Donovan, Tanguay, 1st rounder (they took Parker, poor move) at least part of Roy (because of Thibeault) and more came from that deal.

There have been some good articles about the deal, somebody should track one down and post it.

Last edited:

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
After over a year of gridlock, under arbitration on 30 June 1992 Quebec traded the rights to Eric Lindros to the Philadelphia Flyers for forwards Peter Forsberg and Mike Ricci, goaltender Ron Hextall, defensemen Steve Duchesne and Kerry Huffman, “future considerations†which eventually became enforcer Chris Simon, two first-round picks and US$15 million. One of the draft picks was used by the Nordiques to select goaltender Jocelyn Thibault, the other was traded twice and ultimately used by the Washington Capitals to select Nolan Baumgartner. As of March 2003 here’s what happened:

Peter Forsberg made his NHL debut in the lockout-shortened 1995 season and immediately became an integral part of the Nordiques offense. He continues to produce in Colorado (at least when he’s not injured). Some have called him the best hockey player of his generation.

Mike Ricci played on the 1996 Stanley Cup team in Colorado. He was traded early in the 1997-98 season to the San Jose Sharks along with a second-round pick for Shean Donovan and a first-round pick (Alex Tanguay). Ricci was still with the Sharks as of March 2003.

Ron Hextall played the 1992-93 season in Quebec, but was traded to the New York Islanders the following summer for goaltender Mark Fitzpatrick (who was promptly taken by the Florida Panthers in the 1993 expansion draft, as Hextall would have been had he not been traded) and a draft pick which became Adam Deadmarsh. Deadmarsh blossomed, played on the 1996 Stanley Cup team in Colorado, and was ultimately traded to the Los Angeles Kings in February 2001 for defenseman Rob Blake. Hextall returned to Philadelphia in 1994 and retired as a Flyer five years later.

Steve Duchesne played a single season in Quebec. He was dealt to the St. Louis Blues in January 1994 for veterans Bob Bassen, Garth Butcher and Ron Sutter, all of whom have since retired. Duchesne himself retired in 2002 after winning the Stanley Cup with the Detroit Red Wings.

Kerry Huffman, the other defenseman in the deal, spent a season and a half in Quebec before being claimed off waivers in January 1994 by the Ottawa Senators. Huffman remained with the Senators for a couple years, returned very briefly to Philadelphia, then descended to the minor leagues where he effectively retired after the 1998-99 season.

Chris Simon split his time between Quebec and AHL Halifax before becoming a regular NHL player in 1993-94. After winning the Cup in Colorado in 1996, he was traded to the Washington Capitals along with Curtis Leschyshyn in exchange for Keith Jones and a 1998 first-round draft pick (right wing Scott Parker, now an Avalanche regular). Simon finished the 2002-03 season with the Chicago Blackhawks.

Jocelyn Thibault backed up Stephane Fiset beginning in 1993-94 and moved with the team to Colorado. He was traded to Montreal in December 1995 along with Andrei Kovalenko and Martin Rucinsky for Mike Keane and another goaltender you may have heard of, Patrick Roy. By the 2002-03 season Thibault was the starting goaltender for the Chicago Blackhawks.

thestonedkoala

1) WTF happened to this page? I have to scroll half way across it to read anything!

2) That's the funny thing about a trade is the trades afterwards. You can't ever say they wouldn't have happened because they did but would they if the situations were different?

3) Also the draft picks! Who knows who would've chosen who with those draft picks.

4) Lindros was traded for Hlavac, Johnsson, Brendl, and a mid-round pick (anyone know what round and what pick???)...

Brendl was traded with St. Jacques for Kapanen and Ryan Bast

Johnsson plays still for the Flyers

Found out on Hlavac...traded for Donald Brashear and a pick...

The pick was a 3rd rounder in the 2003 draft which was Stefan Ruzicka who is currently the 16th overall prospect for the Flyers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad