Best Way to Develop a Grade "A" Shot

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
The way I did it.

Use a grading scale where "A" is very weak and inaccurate. That's the way I did it.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
Strength helps, but not even close to as much that practicing will. Technique is the key, strength is just icing on the cake.

arcticwinter

Apr 16, 2005
buy 200 pucks
buy a sheet of puckboard
buy a 10 dollar stick.
5-10 thousand shots later the players will part like the red sea when you wind up.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
It's best if you have an outdoor rink within driving distance, and if you go early in the morning when there isn't many people there, take a couple pucks and shoot off the boards for an hour or two. Do that for the winter, and your shot will increase quite rapidly.

RangersAM99

Mar 28, 2007
New Jersey
make sure u are shooting the correct way if u are doing a slap shot make sure u have proper footing and always have wrist movement

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Rinse and Repeat. Basically take a ton of shots, getting stronger definitely helps, but just being strong doesn't guarantee a hard and useful shot. You just gotta keep shooting, eventually you'll find and consistently hit your comfort area.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
Basically, all you want to do is throw the puck at the net, it's a simple concept. Before I tried making my shots look pretty. When really it's quite simple. Get the puck, throw on net.

For slappers, all I do it to fire it off hard and on net, I get it pretty low from the blue line but it's a really hard shot. My bro is more keen on making his shots go shelf, but the shots are really weak and are often off target.

Always keep in mind, Throw it on net. Imagine throwing a baseball, but instead of your arm throwing the ball, your stick is throwing the puck.

*shrug*

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Depends what position you play...

for forwards my advice is to practice your wrist shot as much as you possebly can. You can place small targets like pegs, water bottles, jerseys or foam targets in the corners of the net for accuracy. If your a forward you will rarely have enough time to fire a slap shot and if you do chances are you're in a low scoring situation. Most goals come from the slot area where accuracy is more important than any other factor.

for defencemans I agree with most posts above. The only thing I would add is to keep your shots low (below the knees) when a defenceman winds up, forwards will stand in front of the goalie to obviously create a screen. If your shooting for the top shelf your just going to hit the screen in front of the goalie. Also if the shots are low, forwards are able to deflect and tip the puck.

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
start by shooting an orange ball outside ur house on a wall if you can.
Once ur happy with ur shot with a ball, u can easily move onto the ice and just keep shooting pucks. with practice u learn how to improove ur shot.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I was always a fan of the plexi-glass. Get a surface that allows you to shoot pucks off of it, and that plus a lot of practice is a sure-fire way to improve the shot, no matter what kind you choose to practice (snap, slap, etc.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad