Best Team to not win a Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
And by best team, I'm not speaking about individual seasons like the 95-96 Red Wings, or the 85-86 Oilers. Those teams won Stanley Cups.

I'm looking for teams that had an extended period of excellence (3 years minimum), but for whatever reason did not win a Stanley Cup.

JCD

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Flyers of the mid to late 90's deserve a mention. The Lindros-in-his-prime led teams of the Legion of Doom era.

Could list any number of Bruin streaks, the Oates-Neely-Bourque era run was a potent team that never made it.

Blues consistently put out a good team that just never seemed to go the distance. The Hull-Oates (then Hull-Janney) run-and-gun teams when CuJo was in the shootong gallery comes to mind.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
JCD said:
Flyers of the mid to late 90's deserve a mention. The Lindros-in-his-prime led teams of the Legion of Doom era.

Could list any number of Bruin streaks, the Oates-Neely-Bourque era run was a potent team that never made it.

Blues consistently put out a good team that just never seemed to go the distance. The Hull-Oates (then Hull-Janney) run-and-gun teams when CuJo was in the shootong gallery comes to mind.

I'd put the mid-80's Keenan Flyers teams ahead of the three you mentioned above.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I agree with John on the Keenan-era Flyers. If there is ever such a thing as a moral victory, it was in 1987. Those four years were roller coaster rides.

Also, the early 1970's Rangers and Hawks. Chicago benefitted from being placed in the west at one point, but they still had the League's best record in 1969-70 (when they were in the East), made two Cups, and won 4 straight division titles.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
John Flyers Fan said:
I'd put the mid-80's Keenan Flyers teams ahead of the three you mentioned above.

Agree totally.

Another nominee is the Roenick/Larmer/Belfour Blackhawks of the early 1990s, although they're probably a better poster child for great regular season teams that sucked in the playoffs. They had 2 100-pt seasons in that span and got knocked out in the first round both times.

MAF

Feb 22, 2005
The 92-93 Pittsburgh Penguins

Had an 17-game winning-streak (or so) towards the end of the season, Lemieux could have broken Gretzky's record for most points/season, if he hadn't missed 20+ games...

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
New York Rangers, circa 1971-75 get the vote here.

Flyers of the mid-80s (always coming up against Edmonton jauggernaut) also deserve mention.

Last edited:

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
The Sens for the past about 5 years. They have been a very good team and won a President Trophy. They are always one of the best in the regular season but can't put it all together in the playoffs.

The Chicago Black Hawks from 1961 to 1967 were perennially near the top of the league led by players like Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita and backed up by Glenn Hall. They were a tremendous hockey team that won a grand total of ZERO cups in that time period. They won one in 1960, but the teams that followed were better in terms of talent than that one yet didn't get a sniff between the defensive powerhouse of the Leafs and the "forgotten dynasty" Canadiens.

The Boston Bruins from 1972 to 1975 had the biggest goal-scoring machine in the league led by Orr and Esposito. Like Chicago they won one Cup at the beginning, but even though their team improved over that club, they were unable to win any more than that one title.

And even though I strongly dislike them, recent editions of the Leafs deserve some mention here. They have been perennially strong for some time yet seem unable to get past the conference finals. They have certainly had enough talent to get it done, but whether it's a bonehead giveaway or a series of undisciplined penalties they always seem to self-destruct. (To the glee of many)

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2004
Habsfan 32 said:
The Sens for the past about 5 years. They have been a very good team and won a President Trophy. They are always one of the best in the regular season but can't put it all together in the playoffs.

If you're gonna say the Sens, you gotta mention the Leafs also. The Leafs have been in the playoffs 6 seasons, and have gotten to the third round twice, the second round 3 times, and the first round once. Honestly, especially in the Carolina series where the Leafs lost 3 Overtime games, they were a great team, they just couldn't put it all together.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
leafs4thecup said:
If you're gonna say the Sens, you gotta mention the Leafs also. The Leafs have been in the playoffs 6 seasons, and have gotten to the third round twice, the second round 3 times, and the first round once. Honestly, especially in the Carolina series where the Leafs lost 3 Overtime games, they were a great team, they just couldn't put it all together.

By the same token, you'd also have to mention the recent Flyers' teams. It's all a big, confusing circle. ;)

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Malefic74 said:
The Boston Bruins from 1972 to 1975 had the biggest goal-scoring machine in the league led by Orr and Esposito. Like Chicago they won one Cup at the beginning, but even though their team improved over that club, they were unable to win any more than that one title.

And even though I strongly dislike them, recent editions of the Leafs deserve some mention here. They have been perennially strong for some time yet seem unable to get past the conference finals. They have certainly had enough talent to get it done, but whether it's a bonehead giveaway or a series of undisciplined penalties they always seem to self-destruct. (To the glee of many)

I wouldn't consider the Bruins, because the Orr/Espo/Hodge/Bucyk etc. Bruins did win 2 Cups.

Leafs of late have been good, but not even making a Finals, I'd have to rank them a bit behind some of thes others mentioned. Also never lead the leaue in points. Good but never great.

Hawks are a good choice.

tony2532

Jun 3, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie, On
I would have to agree with the early 70's NY Rangers. They had great talent in Park, Gilbert, Ratelle, Hadfield and pretty good goaltending. They lost in the finals in 72 to a great Bruins team and then in the semi-finals the next 2 years. They were my favourite team when I was a kid.

Ogopogo*

Montreal Canadiens 1927-29

26-27 Canadiens 28-14-2
27-28 Canadiens 26-11-7
28-29 Canadiens 22-7-15

Oddly enough, the Canadiens then beat the greatest regular season team ever (1929-30 Boston Bruins 38-5-1 179 GF 98 GA) in the 1930 Stanley Cup finals.

Buffalo Sabres 1975-78

74-75 Sabres 49-16-15
75-76 Sabres 46-21-13
76-77 Sabres 48-24-8
77-78 Sabres 44-19-17

The Rangers of the early 70s and Ottawa of the past 4 seasons must be considered as well.

Recent editions of the Leafs should not be considered. They were good but nowhere near what I would call great. They were nowhere near the top regular season team in the league any year in the last half dozen

Last edited by a moderator:

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Ogopogo said:
Montreal Canadiens 1927-29

26-27 Canadiens 28-14-2
27-28 Canadiens 26-11-7
28-29 Canadiens 22-7-15

Oddly enough, the Canadiens then beat the greatest regular season team ever (1929-30 Boston Bruins 38-5-1 179 GF 98 GA) in the 1930 Stanley Cup finals.

Buffalo Sabres 1975-78

74-75 Sabres 49-16-15
75-76 Sabres 46-21-13
76-77 Sabres 48-24-8
77-78 Sabres 44-19-17

The Rangers of the early 70s and Ottawa of the past 4 seasons must be considered as well.

Recent editions of the Leafs should not be considered. They were good but nowhere near what I would call great. They were nowhere near the top regular season team in the league any year in the last half dozen
That 27 Hab team was overrated, I remember taking my buggy down to the rink and.., nah, I'm not that old. Good call on the Sabres, I don't know what they were lacking, probably a stud d man now that I think about it. The Ranger team was impressive on paper and can brag about eliminating Mtl. twice, but looking back, they overpaid a lot of guys during the WHA days and created a country club atmosphere.The 61-67 Hawks to me are the textbook example of how loading up with stars and names,doesn't always get the job done.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
For my money I'd put the early 70s Rangers at the top. If you got the GAG line (Ratelle, Gilbert, Hadfield) with Park on D and Giacomin in net and still dont win then you have to know that the teams that beat you are pretty damn good. And they were. In '72 they lost to a very good Bruins teams in the finals, and then in '74 lost in 7 games to the Flyers in the semis. But here's something you dont know. They are the only team ever to best the defending Cup champion teams three years in a row (Montreal '72, Boston '73, and Montreal '74).

The Mid to late 70s Sabres come to mind as well. The French Connection line just couldnt beat the Flyers in '75. Perreault is the best player ever to never win a Cup behind Dionne IMO.

Plus the mid 80s Flyers. They lost to Edmonton in the '85 and '87 finals. Then again who didnt? But they had the best record in the league in '85 and had over 100 points again the next two seasons.

Also worth mentioning that the late 70s Bruins should have won a Cup if it wasnt for the Habs dynasty. Think about it, in '77 they get swept in the finals by the Habs, in '78 they lost to them in the finals again and in '79 they lost in OT in Game 7 of the semis to the Habs. Take the Habs away and the Bruins win possibly three Cups. Bad luck eh?

Also the Sens of 2000-present are pretty damn well rounded too. They should have a Cup by now, but they havent even reached the finals yet.

blamebettman*

Toronto Maple Leafs of 1992-1995, should've at least gotten to the finals.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The recent Maple Leafs have no place in this thread. 1 division title in the last 6 seasons (that season they were 7th overall). No President's trophies (or anywhere close), no trips to the finals. In that 6-year stretch, they've had a top-5 record in the NHL twice. Over that stretch, at least 7 teams are better - NJ, Colorado, Detroit, Dallas, St. Louis, Philly, Ottawa. They've been a good team, but not an elite team.

As well, they've reached 100 points 3 times in the last 6 years, but none of those would have happened without the new overtime format/OTL point.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
I think the current Senators can be in on this thread...they've won a Presidents trophy,thy've had plenty of regular season stats that would bode well in the playoffs(Low GAA) and they have kept coming back with the same core,which has gradually gained experience. They nearly stopped Jersey's run 2 years ago...that would have been the year for them to do it...now...they face uncertainty in goal.
But the best team never to win a Cup...hands down (from the era's I've wittnessed)has to be the Flyers...the 87' squad came closest,even without Tim Kerr...they took the Oilers to 7 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->