Best stickhandling skills in NHL (Schremp)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
WVpens said:
Definitely. He's known for skating around with the puck for large chunks of time, weaving in and out of people.

...then he loses the puck, giving the opposition a 2-1 break so that they score an easy goal. That's why, despite his great talent, he is a net loss for his team.

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
NYRangers said:
Am I the only one who hasn't been impressed with Schremp after seeing him?

Mabey you caught him on a bad day

Also I didn't see anyone list Martin St. Louis. That guy has some very soft hand, the puck looks like it's attached to his stick with a string.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I 'd mention roenick....he has a penchant for pulling some real nice moves to beat defensemen.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Brian Leetch has some nice puck skills for a defenseman. Cheechoo seems to have some good puck control skill and Ovechkin looks pretty skilled with the puck.

Roger's Pancreas*

Afinoganov has great stick handling skills but lacks a finishing touch. Tough luck I guess.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Datsyuk has some pretty sweet dangles, and Peter Forsberg in terms of pure stickhandling has to be up there as well.

Senor Rational

Feb 11, 2004
St. Louis
Eb0la11 said:
Agreed, think Maxim Afinogenov, he can undress defencemen pretty much every night he plays but he cant put the puck into the net.
His toe drags are mind boggling....absolutely high speed what in the world was that mind boggling...

Zherdev is rpetty damn sick already, how old is this guy? 20?

Nash is also underated when in comes to the hands...

Datsuk is up there along with Kov., jagr, forsberg and Samsonov...

alot of the russians at last years World Cup were making some pretty sick moves. I remember Maxim Af. making a beautiful toe drag at full speed and completly undressing a US defensemen (JM Liles?)...absoultely sick toe drag at that speed...

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Chisbenbengood said:
What I mean about Kovalev is that I see him mostly being strong on the puck, meaning he rarely gives it up, I haven't seen much weaving though...

That description is closer to Jaromir Jagr than Kovalev. Jagr's a guy who in his prime, was ridiculously strong on the puck, he'd fight off one checker with one arm, and protect the puck with his other hand on his stick to keep another checker at bay. Not to say Jagr is without his slick moves, because he's still one of the most shifty guys out there.

The only Penguin player I've seen with better hands than Kovalev is Lemieux. I've seen him totally deke other players out of their skates, but the difference is as stated, Kovalev would go to far. Often he'd forego an opportunity to pass the puck or take a shot by trying to make one more move, and he'd cough it up. He is also renowned for the occaisional bonehead play.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Senor Rational said:
His toe drags are mind boggling....absolutely high speed what in the world was that mind boggling...

Zherdev is rpetty damn sick already, how old is this guy? 20?

Nash is also underated when in comes to the hands...

Datsuk is up there along with Kov., jagr, forsberg and Samsonov...

alot of the russians at last years World Cup were making some pretty sick moves. I remember Maxim Af. making a beautiful toe drag at full speed and completly undressing a US defensemen (JM Liles?)...absoultely sick toe drag at that speed...

Well, there was Alexei Kovalev going to town on Tony Amonte..........

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
clefty said:
That description is closer to Jaromir Jagr than Kovalev. Jagr's a guy who in his prime, was ridiculously strong on the puck, he'd fight off one checker with one arm, and protect the puck with his other hand on his stick to keep another checker at bay. Not to say Jagr is without his slick moves, because he's still one of the most shifty guys out there.

The only Penguin player I've seen with better hands than Kovalev is Lemieux. I've seen him totally deke other players out of their skates, but the difference is as stated, Kovalev would go to far. Often he'd forego an opportunity to pass the puck or take a shot by trying to make one more move, and he'd cough it up. He is also renowned for the occaisional bonehead play.

I pretty much agree and i think we can be both ok with saying that been second to Lemieux in the stickhandling category is not a shame ;)

Sp5618

Nov 26, 2004
Not a chance....

Schremp was not impressive at the WJC's, and having recently seen him play...I still was not impressed. The kid has potential, he still has time to develop, but he was not as impressive as a couple of his London teammates.

I would not put him anywhere close to the likes of best stickhandlers in the NHL right now...on my list:

1. Lemieux
2. Datsyuk
3. Fedorov
4. About an additional 20 Russian centers.............humor... well, at least some of the guys mentioned here...Bure, Kovalev, Samsonov, etc. (Larionov before he retired)
5. Sakic

Like someone else mentioned, the guys on this list can handle the puck....and produce results. So the jury is out on Schremp, but I don't see him as being of the same caliber as any of the guys above. That's not a criticism though....most NHL'ers aren't of the caliber of the guys on this list.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
My vote as number one goes to Datsyuk

my top 5 that are active are

Kovalev
Lemieux
Datsyuk
Hejduk
St Louis

honerable mentions go to

Lecavalier
Sedins
Forsberg
Jagr
Tanguay
Havlat
Spezza
Sakic
Mogilny
Heatley
Kovalchuk
Afinegenov
Samsonov

p.s As a Sens fan Spezza and Havlat are way better stickhandlers than Hossa or Alfie.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Sergei Samsonov is by far the best currently in the NHL, hands down. That guy can ****ing dangle you like nothing else standing still, let alone moving at full speed.

Another guy who you'll all laugh at me about is Denis Pederson. The guy wasn't a great player, but I'll never forget when he was with the Canucks and I skated with him, he did some insane ****. Just incredible.:help:

Munchausen

Chisbenbengood said:
As for Ribeiro, its not for anything, harsh journalists in Montreal keep on saying he has the Gretzky hands but not the mental fortitude.

Harsh journalists? Yeah right... Take off the rose colored glasses. Those journalists you're talking about (110% / RDS) have an agenda to promote him as the new french superstar. He's their puppy. The most ordinary move from him becomes a "Gretzky like maneouvre" in the mouth of a Yvon Pednault.

Ribeiro has incredible vision and passing skills, but in no way is he in the same league as others mentioned in this thread when it comes to stick-handling his way through traffic like Kovalev, Spezza, Samsonov, Mogilny or Kovalchuk, not even close. He doesn't belong on a top-list (as well as a couple of other homer picks found in this thread).

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
Chistov has nice hands.. you just hardly ever see him use them.

Maybe that's why he's drawn comparisons to Samsonov. (the nice hands part, not the not using them)

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
mogilny, pavel bure, samsonov, datsyuk, kovalev, semin, afinogenov, jagr, forsberg, lemieux ... I dunno why there are so many Russians on my list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad