Best stickhandling skills in NHL (Schremp)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
I'm not saying Schmrep has the best stickhandling skills but after seeing him on Sportsnet News and watching him numerous times in pregame warmups in London, i've seen him do crazy moves that i've never seen before. I know he doesn't do them in a game and neither would an NHLer.

So my question is who are the top 5 or 10 NHLers in regards to stickhandling skilss and where does Schremp rank if at all. I'm not saying Schmrep has the best stickhandling skills, i'm just asking b/c I have no idea how he'd compare to some NHLers (even though he's in junior still and 18)

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Yashin used to do some unbelievable things in practice - and many in games too. He was the best I've seen in the history of the Sens, although Spezza does have some exceptional puck control skills.

BORAT

Feb 8, 2005
Kazakhstan
Ribeiro has ludicrous puckhandling skills, I remember some of those goals he scored from behind the net last year

I wouldn't say that Kovalev is as good, I mean he is incredibly strong on the puck, but not the softest hands I've seen in the habs locker room.

Top 5 I have no clue.

I guess the best away team puckhandlers I saw in Montreal where,

Vincent Lecavalier,
Mariann Hossa,
Jaromir Jagr,
Marcus Naslund and Mats Sundin.

all those players where absolutely amazing with the puck.

but it somehow seems Ribeiro has those streaks where the puck is magnetically stuck to his stick

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Marek Zidlicky is one of the most insane stickhandlers I've ever seen, and by far the best stickhandler the Preds have ever had. He's not called "Magic" for nothing.

Erat's got some flashy moves as well.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I'm not sure how he stacks up league wide, but Zherdev is light years ahead of anyone else on the Blue Jackets with his stick skill (not that his competion is anything to brag about).

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
There's so many good stickhandlers... But, Ribeiro is really underrated, his name is never brought up when we talk about stickhandlers. He's definately one of the best.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I wouldn't say that Kovalev is as good, I mean he is incredibly strong on the puck, but not the softest hands I've seen in the habs locker room.

umm, kovalev is easily one of the best stickhandlers in the entire NHL. I haven't seen enough of ribeiro to compare the two or something but kovalev is absolutely amazing at times.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Levitate said:
umm, kovalev is easily one of the best stickhandlers in the entire NHL. I haven't seen enough of ribeiro to compare the two or something but kovalev is absolutely amazing at times.

Definitely. He's known for skating around with the puck for large chunks of time, weaving in and out of people.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Definitely. He's known for skating around with the puck for large chunks of time, weaving in and out of people.

which isn't exactly a good thing :lol

he definatly can get carried away

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
It's pretty hard to compare Schremp to these guys at the moment because we never saw him play against them.

Ales Hemsky has some sick stickhandling skills. Sergei Samsonov is also good with the puck on his stick.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Levitate said:
which isn't exactly a good thing :lol

he definatly can get carried away

Yeah, he also has lost the puck and given up bad turnovers doing this. You never know with Kovy...

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
trahans99 said:
How does Schremp compare to these players now?

How does Schremp compare to those players when they were 18?

The difference is not puckhandling skills - it's using those skills to score goals. Most of the NHLers mentioned have learned to use those skills with a player hanging on their back, or while skating at full speed. That is very different obviously. I wouldn't say Schremp is better than many of the players at puckhandling at the same age, but he may be close to many of them.

Schremp clearly has learned how to apply those skills on the powerplay in the OHL. What he now has to learn to do is a better job of apply those skills 5-on-5 when the game is at a higher pace with more back and forth. On the powerplay, things slow down, players are given some room, and you can do things that aren't there for the taking at even strength. That's the biggest hole in Schremp's game - and the biggest concern for scouts thus far. It's not to say he won't be able to do it, I just think Edmonton will have to be patient with Schremp, as he still requires several years of development before being ready for the NHL IMO.

BORAT

Feb 8, 2005
Kazakhstan
What I mean about Kovalev is that I see him mostly being strong on the puck, meaning he rarely gives it up, I haven't seen much weaving though...

As for Ribeiro, its not for anything, harsh journalists in Montreal keep on saying he has the Gretzky hands but not the mental fortitude.

Ribeiro can utterly ridicule opponents at time, Zidlicky is very smooth and very talented I saw him play a couple of times, some people compare him to Gonchar, and I don't like Gonchar that much because he can be a frickin floater at time... I guess thats what ruined it for me.

but if you guys say he'S good ( 53 point in his first NHL season... wow) than he probably is

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
dunno if you've watched kovalev much outside of the time he played in montreal (i didn't see many of his games in montreal) but he can definatly dangle with the best of them. i think he was a bit more subdued last year with the rangers as well so that may not have been his best "stickhandling season"

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Ricci on Milan Michalek

Mike Ricci said:
"He can stickhandle in a phone booth," said Ricci. "You'll see him dangle a few times this year. I'd love to be playing with him. He is a smart player and unlike the young guys back when I came in, he is physically mature. I battled just to get to 175 pounds. He has it."

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Both the Sedins have some good moves, every goal they scored last season was pretty much highlight reel stuff.

Especially Daniel's 3rd goal in his 4 goal game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad