Best short season scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
Maria said:
Today there was in article in the St.P Times(Tampa newspaper)well it was about how unfair was for the Lightning if there is a seson,to award the Stanley cup,to any team that hasn't done much,or does not deserve it,we didn't even have a ring ceremony,thats CRAP!! :banghead: :madfire:

I don't know what you guys think of this,but i kind of agree with him,the cup should be awarded to a team that play a hole season,and deserves to win. :dunno:
Tell that to Neil Broten and his team mates who won the cup last time this crap happened. :shakehead

Maria

Sep 15, 2004
I can't take this anymore,its so unfair for the fans!!!,the lockout came in the worst time for the Bolts :cry: :shakehead

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
36 game season play the teams in your division 4 times each. Then play the other 10 teams in your conference twice. (I know it seems like alot against your division but it will make sense when you see how I do the playoffs)

Then the top team from each division makes the playoffs with one wild card team from either conference. ala baseball.

Then three seven game series to determine the winner.

Seems like the best way to do it. We will see a very competitive regular season with this format.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Maria said:
I can't take this anymore,its so unfair for the fans!!!,the lockout came in the worst time for the Bolts :cry: :shakehead

Well I defenitely dissagree with that one, they won the cup last year.

Hey maybe this year if they get no injuries the southeast stays weak and they get favorable playoff matchups again you will be right. But I still duno that equals last year.

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
SingnBluesOnBroadway said:
The Rangers decide to add the entire Charlotte Checkers roster to the NHL roster. They lose all but 2 games. The Harftord WolfPack go on to win the Calder Cup. The Rangers then are awarded the first pick in the draft where they pick Crosby.

And bacon stops hair loss.

You know I've heard that before and tried it every which way imaginable to man but at the end instead of being a balding man I had become a balding man with greasy hair and a weight problem.

As for the playoff format, it gets tricky if you involve more than 16 teams because to have 2 teams in the end you need to have multiples of four throughout.
For example 24 without byes won't work because you get 24-12-6-3.

So from 24 you need to have 16 in the next round and it can't be done even with byes of round 1.

Maria

Sep 15, 2004
Bert,i know they won the cup,but is not what i meant,of course it was awesome that they want the cup,but what im saying is that the people around here got intrested in hockey,and know whenever there's hockey again,hopefully the team will have the support of the people,they have to play good from the beggining to regein some of the casual fans!! :shakehead

StanTheMan

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
to get interest back in the game, i would play 6 games against each division rival (and then any more games they think they can play should be againt conference teams a la football - you won't be playing everyone). the intensity would be great even against the lesser teams. hockey would be exciting right away.

as for playoffs, i'm not sure. the same as it is now? or top two teams in each division plus two wild cards. i would leave the current number of teams the same, and the only shortening of the playoffs i would do is make the first round best of five. the rest best of seven. (and you know the owners are anxious to cut money making playoff games!)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
PJ_26 said:
Awful hockey is better than no hockey at all ;)

I have watched the Pens the last three years . . . take it from an expert, you may be right, but not by much. Especially at the prices it costs to go to a game.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Maria said:
Today there was in article in the St.P Times(Tampa newspaper)well it was about how unfair was for the Lightning if there is a seson,to award the Stanley cup,to any team that hasn't done much,or does not deserve it,we didn't even have a ring ceremony,thats CRAP!! :banghead: :madfire:

I don't know what you guys think of this,but i kind of agree with him,the cup should be awarded to a team that play a hole season,and deserves to win. :dunno:
I read that column, and I think the sports editor in the Times needs to quit writing hockey columns, because he really doesn't know what he's talking about. For all his talk about "history", blah blah, he doesn't make one mention of the Devils winning the Cup in a shortened season and whether that was good or bad. Gee, it seems like he has no clue that it happened, which is probably close to the truth! Just embarrassing.

Of course the team deserves an entire season to call themselves Champs, but they're partially to blame for that not happening, so they're out of luck. Life is tough like that!

As for this being the worst possible time for this to happen for Tampa - of course it is! This hurt the momentum & goodwill the team had built up in the community. Couple that with a terrible Bucs season, and the timing could not have possibly been worse.

NorthOiler

Jan 26, 2005
NWT
Short season favours the owners ... The players get paid for 30 games in the regular season but of course do not get paid in the playoffs. Shorter season means more divisional matchups and less travel costs thus more money for the owners. The players will not want to see the owners generate a million dollar per playoff game profit after so few games played ... more so after the "suffering" they feel they have endured. :shakehead

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
rwilson99 said:
Opening Night: Feb 10th
Play every other night until April 15th = 28 Game Regular Season
2 Games against each Conference Opponent (no divisions)

Top 4 seeds in Conference get First Round Bye
Seeds 5-12 in First Round (Best of Five)
April 16 - April 23

That's not bad at all. I agree with the basic premise, 20 something games is far too few to knock 14 teams out of the playoffs. If you're going to do it, you've got to allow teams a chance to recover from one bad slump or injury.

It'd still be an * season for me, however. I'd prefer they just cancel the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad