Best sentimental moments in Hockey

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Another couple Ray Bourque spine tinglers....

Taking off his #7 jersey and revealing the #77 on Espo's retirement night.

Leading Normand Leveille onto the Garden ice for The Last Hurrah.

Speaking a good portion of his speech at the retirement of his number in French for his Quebec area fans.

I had the privilege of witnessing all three of those moments.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I would say the most sentimental thing I've ever seen was Wayne Gretzky's last game in the NHL. The only way that game could've been better would be if Wayne Gretzky had scored the game winner in overtime.

That was a classic passing of the torch moment, Jaromir Jagr ended Gretzkey's career.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
A lot of great choices here. One not mentioned yet was Lanny McDonald scoring the Cup winning goal for the Flames in 1989 (and at the Montreal Forum, no less) in his final game. Every player dreams of having the opportunity to retire as a champion. It was also Lanny's first championship. Everyone knew that it was going to be his last game. It was a wonderful moment to see that ultra-classy player retire as a champion.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
as a Flames fan, one would be Lanny scoring in game 6 of the SCF in Montreal

he was pretty much done as a player at that point (it was his last game) and was often a healthy scratch in the playoffs, yet for that shift where he took Loob's spot alongside Roberts and Nieuwendyk, once he put the puck in the net , there was no question in my mind the Flames would win the game

not sure I've felt good karma like that since...blasted curse of the Forum:)

edit:wow GBC same post, same time, however I don't think it was the game winner (that was Gilmour) but it did give the Flames a lead they wouldn't relinquish

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Bourque is considered the main reason the Avs played so well the whole season though. Without him, the team may end up like the 03-04 Avs, which while looking great on paper, sucked the whole year (I know the 03 Avs didnt have Roy).

Joe Sakic won the Hart, Pearson, Plus/Minus, and was 3 points back of the Art Ross. Was that Ray Bourque's doing too?

Ray Bourque played very well, but he didn't carry that team to the championship ala Messier in '94. Sakic, Roy, and Blake were better in the playoffs.

Ray Bourque was a great player, and he was very good for Colorado in those 100 or so games he played for them...but lots of players are very good on championship teams.

Matt Foley*

1. The USA hockey team celebration after they beat the Soviet Union at the 1980
Winter Games (see avatar), as well as the Gold Medal ceremony. Those were very heart-warming moments to me.

2. The crowd cheering Gretzky seemingly forever after his last game.

3. Yzerman lifting up the Cup after the Wings won in 1997 (as a Wings fan at the time, I thought I'd never live to see that day).

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
-Gretz's last game...I cried like crazy that day, April 18, 1999

-Messier's last game, and moreso, Mark Messier night on Jan 12, 2006.

-Mike Richter's retirement press conference...that was tough, I remember Messier got so emotional that he had to walk out of the room.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
a_boom_195.jpg

The top I've seen. That was too much emotion in one place.

Others I'll always remeber are

-The Montreal Forum closing ceremony
-Saku's comeback
-Konstantinov on the ice with the cup
-Coffey's number raised

Last edited:

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Bourque finally winning the cup... priceless

Saku's comeback, wow, and while he didn't cry (the game was about to begin) you could see in his face he was making godly efforts not to...

Almost forgot... not a positive sentimental moment, but a sentimental one nonetheless... When Zednik was elbowed by McLaren in the first round of the 2001 playoff between the Habs and the Bruins... just seeing Zednik being motionless on the ice shocked everybody watching this game, I'm sure of that, and you could feel the rage of the crowd after that... there's even a guy who jumped on the ice and wanted to fight with Zamuner I think... anyway, I WAS enraged...

Last edited:

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Geoffrion right?

Yeah. Seeing his children crying at the rising numbers of their father and grandfather (Morenz) was just a moving experience. You could feel their pride and pain. Must have been a specially hard moment for his wife who is Morenz daughter.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I remember Hasek's speech at the '99 NHL awards. He won the Vezina and being in Toronto a lot of fans thought Joseph shoudl have won it, (he shoudnt have). Hasek was actually being booed by some fans and when he said his speech he mentioned something about the need to protect children from guns in the US (keep in mind this was barely after the Columbine shootings). When he started going about that the booing stopped and everyone listened to him. Maybe there's a youtube I dont know?

Also Steve Smith got handed the Cup by Gretzky in '87 one year after his blunder in the '86 Flames series. That was classy of Wayner.
Carboneau did the same thing in '93 with Savard. Denis Savard looked like a kid in a candy store before he helped lift the Cup. You just had to be happy for him.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I would say the most sentimental thing I've ever seen was Wayne Gretzky's last game in the NHL. The only way that game could've been better would be if Wayne Gretzky had scored the game winner in overtime.
I remember getting a bit teary eyed but pushed back the tears, then when he returned to the ice for one last wave to the fans, one hand up in the air, I balled like a baby :cry:

mrhockey193195 said:
Gretz's last game...I cried like crazy that day, April 18, 1999
Just like that.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Very few if any opposing players have ever received a standing ovation in Philadelphia, but I was on hand twice to see Mario Lemieux receive that honor:

March 2, 1992 ... Mario receives his final chemo treatment that morning and board a private jet to Philadelphia to play his first game. 1 goal & 1 assist

April 26, 1997 ... Mario retires for the first time and is named the games first and only star, after the Penguins are eliminated in round one by the Flyers.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
You can't just go around retiring the jersey of everyone who was a "huge part" of a cup run. It would be like Detroit retiring Dominik Hasek's jersey after 2002.

Mark Messier meant more to the Rangers than Bourque did to Colorado. He took a franchise to the promised land after 54 years of being a punchline. Ray Bourque joined a legit contender, played well, and they won. You might as well retire Rob Blake's jersey too.

But they did and that was their right.
I don't support or criticize any cities choice to honor any player of theirs. It's no one else's place to say.
I think you are making the fatal flaw of trying use criteria other than that player's impact on the city they played in, to determine whether or not his number should be retired.

Barry Ashbee. It was a tribute, not what he did in his abbreviated career in Philly.

If Avs fans railed against the retiring of the number then it carries weight.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Ray Bourques Colorado Cup was idiotic. I never respected it for a moment, the first of a token rental player Cup. Then they retired his jersey after 90 games in a Colorado jersey.

He won the cup after playing an entire season with the Avs. That's not considered a rental...unless you want to redefine the term for your own purposes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->