Best season by an individual player since 2000

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
If we're talking about regular season only, I'd agree with what appears to be the consensus - Ovechkin 2008.

But if we were to extend this period back by just one year, I'd pick Jagr in 1999. I think he had a better season than anyone in the 21st century (so far).

Reactions: Killion

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Okay, here's a question: Why do most of you consider Ovechkin's 2007-08 over Jagr's 2005-06?

I'm not necessarily saying Jagr's was better, but why is it a slam-dunk for Ovechkin?

Compare:
Raw points:
123 Jagr (H.F. adjusted 120)
112 Ovechkin (H.F. adjusted 122)
(Ovie played about 83 minutes more ice-time than Jagr over the full season)

Points as % of Team's Goals:
49.2% Jagr
47.0% Ovechkin

Scoring lead over #2 on team
44 Jagr
43 Ovechkin

Plus/Minus
+34 Jagr
+28 Ovechkin

Team's improvement
31 more points Jagr's team (Jagr played only 31 games the previous season)
24 more points Ovechkin's team (Ovechkin played the full previous season)

I realize Ovechkin scored 11 more goals, but he also had a (marginally) lower shooting-percentage than Jagr, and 22 fewer assists.

I have no particular issue with Thornton's winning the Hart in '06, but that was just a coin-flip. If the voting had been done one week earlier, Jagr would have won it. (Thornton scored 9 points in his final four games, Jagr scored 4 -- hence, they gave everything to Thornton who won the scoring race by only 2 points.)

Yes, Ovechkin won and deserved his (only) scoring title in 2008, but he did it with Crosby injured (they had identical PPG's).

Anyway, I'm just asking this because I feel Jagr always gets under-valued in these discussions. Somehow players' later great seasons always get overlooked...

Did Jagr lead the league in anything? Nope. OV led in goals, GPG, pts and PPG. Also, Jagr put up 42% of his pts on the PP, compared to 33% for OV. In addition to putting up pts, did Jagr offer anything else? Not really. But OV offered a physical element, throwing out 220 hits. So basically it's an elite scorer with no hardware vs an elite scorer + intimidating physical force with all the hardware.. Easy choice. Oh and 65 goals obviously.

Ovechkin's performance had nothing to do with Crosby. Crosby was healthy the following 2 seasons and OV beat him again in pts and PPG. Didn't really see anything to think 07/08 would be different. Ovechkin was better.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Did Jagr lead the league in anything? Nope. OV led in goals, GPG, pts and PPG. Also, Jagr put up 42% of his pts on the PP, compared to 33% for OV. In addition to putting up pts, did Jagr offer anything else? Not really. But OV offered a physical element, throwing out 220 hits. So basically it's an elite scorer with no hardware vs an elite scorer + intimidating physical force with all the hardware.. Easy choice. Oh and 65 goals obviously.

Ovechkin's performance had nothing to do with Crosby. Crosby was healthy the following 2 seasons and OV beat him again in pts and PPG. Didn't really see anything to think 07/08 would be different. Ovechkin was better.
I guess some points here are valid. But I don't think the "hardware" argument has any weight -- As I said already, Jagr led the NHL in scoring for about 95% of the season, on and off (mostly on), and was simply overtaken at the very end. Had Crosby been healthy, there's every chance Ovechkin would have been locked in an on/off competition for the scoring title, and possibly Hart as well.

I dunno. Full marks to Ovechkin for his superb (best?) season, but I can't personally see that it was any better than Jagr's in 2005-06.

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
I dunno. Full marks to Ovechkin for his superb (best?) season, but I can't personally see that it was any better than Jagr's in 2005-06.

I've never considered that season as that great, but that season and Thornton 05/06 should really get more recognition as they often seem to get completely overlooked. A couple of things that makes it impressive to me was older age, and transition to new era.

If I was to pick three skaters (really only considering forwards) for full season + playoffs, in no particular order, I'd probably go with; Sakic 00/01, Zetterberg 07/08, Malkin 08/09 (HM: Crosby 16/17).

If I was to pick three skaters (really only considering forwards) for only full season, in no particular order, I'd probably go with; Forsberg 02/03, Ovechkin 07/08, Malkin 11/12 (HM: Kane 15/16).

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I know it is a half season so that pretty much disqualifies it but Mario in 2000-01 was awesome. Best points/game of any season in the time frame (2000 on). Came back after missing 3 years, 8 months of hockey. Still #2 in Hart voting and 17 points in 18 games in the playoffs.

Crosby's 2010-11 extrapolates to 64-68-132 over 82 games which would be the highest point total since 1996 (Lemieux).

My Best-Carey

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I know it is a half season so that pretty much disqualifies it but Mario in 2000-01 was awesome. Best points/game of any season in the time frame (2000 on).
Best points/game of any season yes, but in fact he was outscored by Jagr in the games he played. And since Jagr played the full season and Mario didn't, and Jagr led the NHL in assists and points, I don't see why it should count as a better Lemieux season than a better Jagr season. (Having said that, I still think Jagr's 2005-06 is his most impressive season since 2000.)
Crosby's 2010-11 extrapolates to 64-68-132 over 82 games which would be the highest point total since 1996 (Lemieux).
It would, but 41 games doesn't cut it.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Just throwing it out there, but what about Miika Kiprusoff in 2005-06?

That season was largely a battle between Thornton and Jagr (1st and 2nd Hart), but it was a "scorer's" season, and tougher on goalies. Flames had their first 100+ point-season in ages, and their leading scorer had only 67 points. They were 1st in team defence, and Kipper was 42-20-11, with the best GAA in the NHL, the most shut-outs, the most minutes played, and a sparkling 41.63 'GSAA' (goals saved above average), which is almost up there with peak-Hasek seasons in Buffalo and beats all but 2 Roy-in-Montreal seasons. Accordingly, Kiprusoff picked up a 1st-team All Star nod, the Jennings, and the Vezina.

Not too shabby.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Teemu's 2010-2011 season as a 41 year old:

31 goals, 49 assists,80 points in 73 regular season games
(8th in NHL scoring)

6 goals, 1 assist, 7 points in 6 play-offs games.

All-together 20 pp goals, 2nd most in the league*
only 3 less than Daniel Sedin.

*tied with Stamkos

In a season where only Perry scored 50 goals, 50 exact in the regular season.
Stamkos 45, Iginla 43, DSedin 41, Kesler 41

In a season Where Ovie scored all-together 37 (32+5) goals and Kovaltshuk 31 goals

40+ players 2010-2011 (forwards)

1. Teemu Selänne 31+49=80 (1.10)
2 Mark Recchi 14+34=48 (0.59)
3. Mike Modano 4+11=15 (0.38)

Last edited:

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
How about Martin St. Louis in 2003-04? Wins the Art Ross by 7 points, also leads the league in Assists and Plus-Minus and Shorthanded Goals, and only finishes 3 goals back of the Rocket Richard. In the playoffs, he wins the Stanley Cup while again leading in Assists and placing 4th in Goals and 2nd in Points with two overtime winners.

Reactions: bathdog

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
How about Martin St. Louis in 2003-04? Wins the Art Ross by 7 points, also leads the league in Assists and Plus-Minus and Shorthanded Goals, and only finishes 3 goals back of the Rocket Richard. In the playoffs, he wins the Stanley Cup while again leading in Assists and placing 4th in Goals and 2nd in Points with two overtime winners.
I agree with you. When we talk about best RS + playoffs, we always hear Sakic '01, Malkin '09, and Thomas '11 -- all great choices of course, but why not more of St.Louis '04?

Scoring title, Hart trophy, Pearson, most assists, best plus/minus, 1st-team All Star... As if that's not enough, he then was 2nd in scoring in the playoffs (I personally think he was just as good as Richards) and won the Cup. Scored two playoff overtime goals along the way, including the goal in OT that saved game 7 for the Lightning and allowed them a chance to win it all.

I call this discrimination against short people.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Just throwing it out there, but what about Miika Kiprusoff in 2005-06?

That season was largely a battle between Thornton and Jagr (1st and 2nd Hart), but it was a "scorer's" season, and tougher on goalies. Flames had their first 100+ point-season in ages, and their leading scorer had only 67 points. They were 1st in team defence, and Kipper was 42-20-11, with the best GAA in the NHL, the most shut-outs, the most minutes played, and a sparkling 41.63 'GSAA' (goals saved above average), which is almost up there with peak-Hasek seasons in Buffalo and beats all but 2 Roy-in-Montreal seasons. Accordingly, Kiprusoff picked up a 1st-team All Star nod, the Jennings, and the Vezina.

Not too shabby.

you got me curious, so i looked it up. Thomas's 2010-11 GSAA was 45.77.

Amazingly, Hasek had 3 straight years of 54.41, 54.49, 54.08

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016

That's a good one that I completely overlooked.

MSL had some good fortune, but his story is great. One of the best playmakers of recent times.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Best points/game of any season yes, but in fact he was outscored by Jagr in the games he played. And since Jagr played the full season and Mario didn't, and Jagr led the NHL in assists and points, I don't see why it should count as a better Lemieux season than a better Jagr season. (Having said that, I still think Jagr's 2005-06 is his most impressive season since 2000.)

It would, but 41 games doesn't cut it.
It was more impressive because of his age, how long he was away from the game, and the fact that he joined the team mid season. Maybe those factors don't go into Hart voting, but Lemieux in 2001 was the most impressive thing I've seen in my time watching hockey.

Reactions: frisco

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad