Best Russian Ever to Play in the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Pavel Bure was one of the most entertaining and purely skilled players ever to lace up a pair of skates. The things he could do with a puck are just mind boggling, with a high light reel goal almost garanteed every game. Some may argue that he was a one demensional offensive player, i say there's nothing wrong with that, after all it takes goals to win a game-something that Bure was built to provide.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Well if you want to consider their primes not played in the NHL it has to be Makarov, Larionov, or Krutov. If you want to merely consider their NHL career you would be hard pressed to find someone who goes against Fedorov

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I say Federov. He was better defensivly then Bure and could score almost as many points. While not being as flashy as Bure he got the job done and did it very well. He also won 3 Cups, 1 Hart, 1 Pearson, 2 Selke.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Sorry, I misread the title. I didn't see the "in the NHL" part. I change my vote to Fedorov.

During Bure's best five years he averaged 98.6 points; during Fedorov's best five years he averaged 96.6 points (though I do concede Fedorov played with better linemates). For such a small difference in offense, and Fedorov's huge advantage in defense, I take Fedorov.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Some people may call me nuts for picking Larionov,what with him not getting that many points and all, but I think he had the most team value. Yes, even in the NHL.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
For mine, its a toss up between Larionov and Fedorov. I picked Larionov because I liked him better, even though I think Fedorov probably is the best. Bure I always thought was a cherry picker and overrated.

Stephen said:
Darius Kasparaitis is Lithuanian.

He was only born there. He's Russian.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
clefty said:
For mine, its a toss up between Larionov and Fedorov. I picked Larionov because I liked him better, even though I think Fedorov probably is the best. Bure I always thought was a cherry picker and overrated.

I gonna say Larionov is Obi Wan Kenobe to Fedorov's Anakin Skywalker. Fedorov is the more talented, but he's also more self centered and a bit of a maligner. Larionov was brought to Detroit to help Fedorov along.

In other news, guess who's way too hung up on Star Wars?
:p:

SamiK

May 22, 2005
Finland
I gonna say Larionov is Obi Wan Kenobe to Fedorov's Anakin Skywalker. Fedorov is the more talented, but he's also more self centered and a bit of a maligner. Larionov was brought to Detroit to help Fedorov along.

If we're talking about who is the best russian player ever to play in the nhl, my answer is Larionov. If we're talking about which russian NHL player has the best NHL career, then Fedorov is a quite obvious pick. Larionovs playmaking and passing skills were best in the world in the 80s, apart from Lemieux and Gretzky. If he had been a NHLer since 1980, he would have at least 1000 more points.

Oh boy, I loved to watch Larionov , Makarov and Krutov play for team Russia in the 80s. It was not only great hockey, it was art.

FlyersFan10*

I said Mogilny was the best of the Russian players. I'm probably gonna be lambasted for it, but it's amazing how much his game improved when he had a competent centerman to feed him the puck. That season with Lafontaine was nothing short of magical. When he got to Vancouver, he still had a 60 goal season as well. It's too bad that the Mark Messier era putrified the Canucks, but when Mogilny was dealt to the New Jersey Devils, he rounded out his game and became competent both defensively and in his playmaking ability. He had become the complete player at that point.

It's a shame that he was never healthy enough in Toronto though. Lots of speed, creativity, excellent vision and just a good player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad