Best pound per pound fighter in the nhl

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Horton was tough as anyone at heart but was not really a fighter at all. Your example of him using the bear hug was actually his normal fight strategy. He only fought when challenged, and then he just wrestled you down to end it. There's a clip on YouTube of him and Cashman where they square off but he never throws a punch. Oh well, might as well post it...

Yep. More than a couple former players said they were more concerned that Tim would break their ribs than punch them out...:thumbu:

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Kelly Chase was decent fighter for a smallish guy he was only 5'11

I have childhood memories Bob Bassen fighting many guys a lot bigger than him and holding his own, not exactly destroying people but I always loved to see him fight.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
For current NHLers, I think Wayne Simmonds deserves mentions. He's 6'2" but 180 lbs soaking wet.

Slapshooter

Apr 25, 2007
Domi was short, but not any kind of lightweight. He was as heavy as your typical physical hockey player.

So pound for pound, someone like Stan Jonathan or George McPhee sounds better.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
My vote would go for Kocur, or Clark, but Domi, and his cement head was tougher than a coffin nail.
Just so little but didnt go down. Idk why everyone hates nurse but when he fights its as entertainint as emery fighting a player after he beat the goalie

Mike Lowry

Feb 23, 2018
My vote is nurse

Other than when he jumped Roman Polak, when has he ever come out on top of a fight? Michael Haley beat the heck out of him in the payback fight, and Bo Horvat, who had never fought before in his life, gave him a beating too. The list goes on. Literally never seen the guy win a straight up fight against anyone with an ounce of fighting sense. When you not only challenge a guy like Horavt to a fight, then can't beat him, no one should call you tough.

My vote goes to Simmonds.

He gave Brandon Prust his only win of his career. Prust couldn't beat up anyone, but tuned up Simmonds quite easily. Again, I have no idea what you guys are watching if you are listing these guys.

As an example, Milan Lucic effectively ended Mike Komisark's career in a fight. Chris Neil was never the same after Lucic busted him up in Ottawa. Lucic has literally injured guys with his fists, and you overlook that fact to say a guy who couldn't beat Brandon Prust is the toughest guy. Wow.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
He gave Brandon Prust his only win of his career. Prust couldn't beat up anyone, but tuned up Simmonds quite easily. Again, I have no idea what you guys are watching if you are listing these guys.

As an example, Milan Lucic effectively ended Mike Komisark's career in a fight. Chris Neil was never the same after Lucic busted him up in Ottawa. Lucic has literally injured guys with his fists, and you overlook that fact to say a guy who couldn't beat Brandon Prust is the toughest guy. Wow.
I couldn't remember Simmonds ever fighting Prust so I looked it up and it was in 2011? Seriously? The fact that you had to go back 7 years to make a point is sad. Everyone loses fights, even heavyweights. This thread is about the best pound for pound fighter and Simmonds at 180 pounds is tough as nails. Does he win every fight? No but if he was 40 pounds heavier he would be serving up even ore beatings. Lucic at 240 pounds should be beating people up, that's not impressive.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Pound for pound in all eras - have to go with

1) Stan Jonathon ( fight with Bouchard a classic)

2) Tie Domi ( although he weighed more-was only 5'8 -had a "huge cement head") fought "big guys"- never saw him get cut, or hurt badly.

3) 2-3 guys could fit here like- Wendel Clark, George McPhee, Mark Rypien

4) Active now Simmonds ( Flyers)-- very very tough for 180 lbs.

All time heavyweights

1) Behn Wilson- watched 5 hours straight- never saw him lose a fight ( Flyers) - funny nobody mentions his name, except a couple guys that watched a lot of fights. I never heard of him, but then watched some videos. Never saw him lose a fight. Was not a "flashy fighter" like Probert.

2) Bob Probert- fearless and loved to fight - would have loved to see him fight Behn Wilson- they just about went at it, but it got broken up - I think I'd go with Wilson, although this could go either way. Probert fought the biggest and toughest.

3) Donald Brashear - very big and muscle bound -"very tough"- big head. Fought Probert about 6 times, and won the last 2 fights- Probert won first 2. Note-this 2 and 3 selection could be interchanged ?

4) 2-3 guys could fit here-- George Laraque ( very tough- not that mean tho) - Clark Gillies, Marty McSoreley,Chara and- Darren Langden-love to watch him fight !!

Active now - Milan Lucic, and Ryan Reaves - both very tough customers

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Nurse is a lot heavier (and half a ****ing foot taller) than Micheal Haley and Haley ****ing destroyed him.

Haley would be my vote.
Nurse to me has the most entertaining fights. He is just so lanky i dont think of him as big.

Win or lose I would rather watch him fight over most people.

If he ever fills out he will be terrifying like a little chara

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Surprisingly, Bennett is a hell of a fighter. He’s beaten up Johansen, Trouba, and Manson, all guys way bigger than him.

I didn't see the Johansen or Trouba fights, but he 100% did not "beat up" Manson. He got a few good shots in before Josh was engaged. He got one good shot that knocked Josh off balance. After Josh got him away from the boards, Josh landed one solid shot on Sam, and then Sam let go and skated towards the linemen so he'd stop the fight. So no.. he didn't beat him up, at all.

I'm actually more inclined to give Manson the win in that fight to be honest.

It's debatable. Sam got the best overall shot in, but it's hard to crown a guy the winner of a fight who runs away when the other fighter has the momentum. I don't recall the last time I saw a player literally quit and skate over to the ref to get him to stop it.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
It's debatable. Sam got the best overall shot in, but it's hard to crown a guy the winner of a fight who runs away when the other fighter has the momentum. I don't recall the last time I saw a player literally quit and skate over to the ref to get him to stop it.

Give him a break,he's only 19,can't do a chin-up and he's still the toughest pound for pound player in the NHL(sarcasm).

westvandal

Sep 18, 2008
Obviously guys like bob probert probably, but pound for pound? gotta throw Rick Rypien (less than 180 lbs) into this conversation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad