Best playoff performance by a defenseman...

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
justsomeguy said:
More than just an offensive defenceman, Tremblay was airtight defending his end. Great skater, puckhandler and able to hit a moving target from anywhere on the ice. And then there were the penalties he killed almost single-handed. One of the smartest players of his generation and one of the most underrated.

I`ve heard a story about how when he was with the Quebec Nordiques he once ragged the puck for the entire 2 minutes of a penalty kill, never passing it or losing control: nobody could catch him. Possibly an urban legend, but if it`s true I would`ve loved to have seen that.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Potvin from 80-84. All those years in the playoffs, and the regular season he dominated games. Pronger this past year was good, even great. BUT you can't compare him to Orr or Potvin. Orr and Potvin in my own oppinion are the two most dominating defensemen of all time. (I think Orr's better, but one could make a fairly good argument for Potvin). There's just nobody on that level. Pronger's performance was good, but I wouldn't rank him in the top 10 playoff performences as a defensemen Macinis, Orr, Potvin for example are just great. I would say Bourque-but he never won that cup with Boston so that's what keeps him out of that.

chooch*

84-85 palyoffs, 37 points in 18 games for Paul Coffey.

Wonder how many of his points came againts the likes of Chicago? Coffey was also a sieve defensively. Comparing him to Orr in 72 or Robinson in 78 or Leetch is a joke.

Bourque in any Bruins first round playoff defeat was better than Coffey winning a Cup.

The only thing funnier is saying Lowe belongs in the Hall.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Wonder how many of his points came againts the likes of Chicago? Coffey was also a sieve defensively. Comparing him to Orr in 72 or Robinson in 78 or Leetch is a joke.

Bourque in any Bruins first round playoff defeat was better than Coffey winning a Cup.

The only thing funnier is saying Lowe belongs in the Hall.

First off Lowe does not belong in the Hall no argument there. But for anyone who thinks Coffey was such a sieve defensively I always ask why? Since when is having the puck or rushing the puck the majority of the time bad defensively? Coffey could get away with that cause he was the fastest skater on the ice and if he screwed up he could always skate back and break up the play.

His playoff in '85 was great, not like Orr's or Leetch's but can you think of a bunch of times when Coffey was out of position because he was carelessly rushing the puck. Sure he couldnt clear the net or deliver a bonecrunching body check as good as others but he was responsible defensively. He's not much worse than Leetch defensively to be honest. And Leetch was alright in that category

vbet*

Single player is arguable. Orr, Coffey come to mind.

But for some reason I remember back in 1979 Larry Robinson and Rod Langway as a tandom that completly dominated. I think it was Langway as his partner.

Someone from Montreal correct me if I am wrong.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Rod Langway is one of the best shutdown defensemens of all time, no doubt but during that playoff year he shutdown New York in the finals that you wouldn't believe. He turned the Capitals into contenders in the 1980's and turned guys like Larry Murphy and Scott Stevens into the defensemens they were.....if you had to ask them which defense team mate helped them the most for their development, im pretty sure Langway name is brought up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->