Best playmakers of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
arnie said:
Lemieux was the best by far. The proof: Robbie Brown 49 goals, Warren Young 40 goals.
Gretzky was FAR better. See Bernie Nicholls (70 goals with Gretz, then never above 40 again?), Jari Kurri (who could score on his own, just not at the 75 goals a year pace he had with Gretz), and even Dave Cementhead, er, Semenko, who would have been out of the NHL if not for Gretzky.

Rob Brown is one of the all time leading goal scorers in the AHL, so it's not like he can't find the back of the net on his own! Mario was a pretty good passer, but Gretzky was magic. That's the difference.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
jiggs 10 said:
Gretzky was FAR better. See Bernie Nicholls (70 goals with Gretz, then never above 40 again?), Jari Kurri (who could score on his own, just not at the 75 goals a year pace he had with Gretz), and even Dave Cementhead, er, Semenko, who would have been out of the NHL if not for Gretzky.

Agreed, Lemieux was an incredible passer, but Gretzky was just on a whole other level.

All players other than Gretzky have a combined 2 100+ assist seasons (Orr & Lemieux each have 1).

Gretzky had 11 consecutive years of 100+ assist seasons.

From 1980-81 to 90-91 Gretzky averaged 122 assists. :eek:

Juicer

Mar 14, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
Gretzky had 11 consecutive years of 100+ assist seasons.

From 1980-81 to 90-91 Gretzky averaged 122 assists. :eek:

That is an unbelievable stat.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I don't think he's better than a lot of guys that are on this list, but Craig Janney is always overlooked, he was one of the best set-up men for a stretch.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Gretzky
Lemieux
Orr
Coffey
Jagr
Yzerman
Lafleur
Messier
Francis
Dionne

I find it a little tough to put guys from the older era in here. As opposed to goal scoring where, for example, the Rocket's rep makes him a lock IMO. I'm sure some older greats fit in, just in this category I have difficulty saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->