Best players to never win a Cup

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
I've saw most of the players on the list play, and I've got to go with Park. He's also the best d-man I saw, who never won a Norris. He finished 2nd a ridiculous number of times. Any other era, and he might have won at least 3 or 4.

Slapshooter

Apr 25, 2007
There is some competition in this category, but I say Eric Lindros unless he by some miracle actually wins the cup.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Here is a related article from 2003 and from NHL.com:

http://www.nhl.com/intheslot/read/impact/may/nocups.html

Good rather than lucky
Seven great players, but no Cups

"Every time I laced them up I loved it. You play for the love of the game and to win the Stanley Cup, but it doesn't always happen that way."

-- Five-time All-Star Murray Oliver finished in the scoring Top 10 three times, but never played in a Stanley Cup Final.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Oldie but goldie(?)

My heart says Gilbert Perreault, but my so called brain says it's a race between Marcel Dionne and Brad Park... and I would choose Park. Despite his obvious skills and great regular season numbers, Dionne has never done much for me. In postseason (number-wise, anyway) and international play he was fairly lackluster, whereas Perreault, for example, was simply brilliant (much more of a key player in the 1976 & 1981 CC as well as 1979 Challenge Cup).

Makarov and Firsov would be also strong candidates for me.

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010
My pick would either go to Bure or Linden. Both players had great careers especially Linden and it's too bad they only had that one chance in 94 to go for the Cup.

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
excluding soviets,
1a) Park
1b) Dionne

really hard to pick between those two

goalsversusthreshold*

Joe Thornton will deserve some serious consideration after he retires :sarcasm:

Adam Oates on this list please!

Peak it's def Lindros. Lindros was the best player in the world for a short year or two. No one else to never win a cup can say that.

Career it's between Oates, Sundin, Dionne and (if you consider career to be by achievements, not just longevity) Lindros. You're missing some great names.

I love Adam Oates because he's one of those great playmakers who made a goal scorer but is disrespected by the "assists > goal" stigma, which is usually true, but not in the case of a player like Oates. I think it's gross that Hull is in the hall of fame but not Oates.

PS obviously Soviets would complicate this a lot so I just didn't count them, especially seeing as most of us probably haven't seen most of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->