Best players to never win a Cup

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Marcel Dionne - Four post season all-star nods, one Art Ross Trophy and two Lester B. Pearson awards. Unfortunately he didnt have very much success with the Kings. He had decent numbers but only 49 playoff games. Either way Dionne is an all-time great.

Jean Ratelle - Played in 3 Cup finals. Had one Pearson Award in '72, was on the team of the century that year too. Ratelle quietly had some great seasons in the NHL.

Darryl Sittler - In '76 he had an all-around success year that rivaled few. Sittler was a winner, being on the Canada Cup team of 1976 but he never won the Cup despite a great career.

Eric Lindros - Its a near safe bet to say Lindros will never win a Cup. Well I dont see Dallas doing it. Either way he hasnt won one yet. He was a Hart Trophy winner in '95.

Brad Park - He's the best defenseman to never win it, but is he the best player? He was a 7-time all-star.

Norm Ullman - Very underrated. His luck had it that he entered Detroit in '55-56 and Toronto in '67-68. Both years after those teams won the Cup. Legit HHOFer for sure.

Peter Statsny - He was a great player and always fun to watch. He had good playoff success but never led the Nords to the promised land. Not his fault though

Gilbert Perreault - One of the best skaters to ever play. Perreault actually had well over a point a game in the playoffs. Unfortunatley the Flyers beat him out in the closest chance for him in '75.

Dale Hawerchuk - He was always under the radar, but you could make a great argument that he was possibly the best player in the NHL after Gretzky in '84-85.

Last edited:

STAALing

Aug 30, 2006
I can't decide between Stasny and Hawerchuk.

Also, what the ******* is Lindros doing on this list ?

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Aki Berg's resume speaks for itself, and Aki should merit some consideration.

I thought Aki won one with Colorado. Remember, he was the sentimental favourite, and everyone was so happy when he finally won it that they retired his jersey? Berg...Borg...Bork...it was something like that. I'm pretty sure it was Aki.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Another sad commentary on our world today! :D

Perreault was MUCH better than Lindros, even after he retired! Physical play does NOT make you a great player. And Dionne and Perreault's skill levels were SO much higher than Lindros'.

So Stevens won all those Stanley cups because of his good looks?

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Another sad commentary on our world today! :D

Perreault was MUCH better than Lindros, even after he retired! Physical play does NOT make you a great player. And Dionne and Perreault's skill levels were SO much higher than Lindros'.

In the 8 seasons prior to Stevens knocking him silly, Lindros had 695 points in 486 games. That's 1.4 PPG.

In Perreault's first 8 seasons in the league, he had 678 points in 594 games. That's 1.1 PPG.

Eric Lindros STILL has a higher career PPG than Gilbert Perreault. His 115 points in 1996 is higher than any season Perreault ever had.

Lindros lead the league in scoring once, Perreault never really came close.

Oh...and Eric Lindros played his prime in the 90's, not the late 70's and early 80's. His stats don't jump out at you at first glance, but when you look at how many games he played to achieve those numbers, and which era they occurred in, he had one of the most dominant primes ever. That's not even mentioning the physical aspect.

Dionne you can make a case for, but not Perreault.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Perreault personally is in my top 3-4. You could add Lindros but he's not miles ahead of Perreault. In fact the're pretty close. Perreault had a 113 point season so when ou look at their peaks, Lindros' '95-96 season is almost the same as Perreault's biggest season '75-76. Don't forget too that Perreault has a better PPG in the playoffs than in the regular season, so he could play in crunch time too. Either way I like them both but I picked Dionne.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad