Best player with no individual accolades

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
two playoff series-winning OT goals... forgot to put in the OT... but thought it...

sorry for the mix-up (*yawn* bedtime)

winning two series in overtime deciding games is the sign of a hero... plus his career stats... plus for those of us who watched him play over his career (I didn't see much of the Quebec years but am a longtime Caps fan), we know he would be a superstar in another situation, never getting the individual accolades he's due

Hunter was good, but he wasn't that good.

Riffo*

Don Sweeney, one of the great defensive defensemen in the late 80s/90s

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Dino Ciccarelli has over 600 goals and has won absolutely nothing.
14 goals 21 points in 19 playoff games his rookie postseason... surely that got him on the playoff all-star team that year!

But I think Stastny wins this one.
23 points in 18 games in the '85 postseason might have been enough for a postseason all-star selection, but then again it was the eighties!

Where does one get a list of the playoff all-star teams in NHL history? Link?

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
14 goals 21 points in 19 playoff games his rookie postseason... surely that got him on the playoff all-star team that year!

23 points in 18 games in the '85 postseason might have been enough for a postseason all-star selection, but then again it was the eighties!

Where does one get a list of the playoff all-star teams in NHL history? Link?
I don't think there's such a thing as a post-season all-star team.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
There are guys that play in the all-star game, and guys named to the all-star teams. The latter comes post-season, so I guess that would be what he means. Some how he seems to have them confused with a playoff all-star team. Might not be a bad idea for some debate.

Who were the all-stars of this years playoffs? Last years?

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
There are guys that play in the all-star game, and guys named to the all-star teams. The latter comes post-season, so I guess that would be what he means. Some how he seems to have them confused with a playoff all-star team. Might not be a bad idea for some debate.

Well that's what I mean, there are all-star games and all-star teams which don't take into account playoff performances. But there are no playoff all-star teams.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

The idea of playoff all-star teams is intriguing. Perhaps last year's could have been:

Stillman-Staal-Pisani

Pronger-Kaberle

Ward

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Kind of building off the best goalie thread.

Who was the best player to never win a major award*, and to also never have an NHL post-season allstar selection?
I assumed he posted this because it was true, perhaps The Hockey News (which I rarely buy) did one annually. Or McKeen's.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
By post-season allstar, I meant someone who was named to an NHL first or second allstar team. People often confuse this with playing in the allstar game midway through the season...

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Peter Statsny is my pick. There were years like '82, '83, '84 where he could have been picked as a 2nd team all-star but wasnt. Curtis Joseph comes to mind as well, although I still dont put him in the Hall. Glenn Anderson had years where I would have put him as a 2nd team all-star but he didnt get it. To me it goes Statsny then Anderson.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Calder Trophy

I might be in the minority, but I don't consider the Calder to be a very important award. It's too small a sample size to hold much value.

Dion Phaneuf was the 3rd best rookie in 2005. He would have probably won the Calder every year going back to Forsberg or Selanne.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->