Best player per city of Birth

chooch*

Best and last player to play in NHL from a town. Does anyone have a list?:

ie:
Floral, Sask. - Gordie Howe, I dont know was he the last from Floral so far?

In particular looking for Ontario towns like Paris, Hespeler, Guelph, Trenton, Kitchener etc.

St Thomas, Ont - Joe Thornton

Anyone?

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
chooch said:
Best and last player to play in NHL from a town. Does anyone have a list?:

ie:
Floral, Sask. - Gordie Howe, I dont know was he the last from Floral so far?

In particular looking for Ontario towns like Paris, Hespeler, Guelph, Trenton, Kitchener etc.

St Thomas, Ont - Joe Thornton

Anyone?

I would imagine that the best player from Paris, Ont. would have to be Syl Apps.

Ogopogo*

Brantford - Gretzky
Parry Sound - Orr
Sault Ste. Marie - Esposito
Kamloops - Recchi
Edmonton - Eddie Shore was born in Saskatchewan but he was known as the Edmonton Express. If not Shore, Messier.

chooch*

reckoning said:
I would imagine that the best player from Paris, Ont. would have to be Syl Apps.

Thanks

Guelph -

Cambridge/Hespeler -

Kitchener -

Sudbury -

Thunder Bay -

Ogopogo*

golfmade said:
I don't know if there have been any signifcant NHL'ers who are from Idaho, can anyone help me find out?

No major stars ever came from Idaho. Some lesser-known player perhaps but, nobody that I am familiar with.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Milt Schmidt is definitely the best from Kitchener, Scott Stevens is second. Other stars include Daryl Sittler, Woody Dumart, Earl Seibert and Dutch Hiller. Doug Risebrough and Howie Meeker had good careers too.

The only played I can find from Hespeler is Paul Woods.

The best played from Guelph is probably Kirk Maltby. Lou Fontinanto was undoubtedly the toughest/meanest play from Guelph. Mike Hudson both Brian MacLellan had fairly long careers.

Mel Bridgman is the best from Trenton, George Ferguson is second.

Agreed that Syl Apps is the best from Paris. Only other player I can find is Jay Wells.

If you count Joe Thornton as being from St. Thomas, he's definitely their best player (most sources list him as being inside London though). Then he'd be up against Eric Lindros.

Mr. Hockey is the only player from Floral, as far as I can tell.

Lots of great playes from Ottawa, agreed that Potvin is best and Yzerman is second. Other stars (no particular order): Mike Gartner, King Clancy, Doug Wilson, Frank Boucher, Aurel Joliat, etc. There are several other Hall-of-Famers but I won't list them since I would like to pick some of them in the All-Time Draft #5...

Gretzky is obviously the best from Brantford (he'd be the best from any city except Parry Sound...). Bill Cook is second. Doug "I... am... Iron Man" Jarvis is probably third. Chris Gratton and Pat Hickey were other good players.

Orr for Parry Sound. Other NHLers were Neil Belland, Terry Crisp and Gary Sabourin.

St. Sault Marie's top three are Phil and Tony Esposito, and Ron Francis.

Kamloops, in addition to Recchi, produced Bert Marshall, Tim Watters and Doug Lidster.

Last edited:

Ogopogo*

Hockey Outsider said:
Milt Schmidt is definitely the best from Kitchener, Scott Stevens is second. Other stars include Daryl Sittler, Woody Dumart, Earl Seibert and Dutch Hiller. Jay Wells, Doug Risebrough, Howie Meeker had good careers too.

The only played I can find from Hespeler is Paul Woods.

The best played from Guelph is probably Kirk Maltby. Lou Fontinanto was undoubtedly the toughest/meanest play from Guelph. Mike Hudson both Brian MacLellan had fairly long careers.

Mel Bridgman is the best from Trenton, George Ferguson is second.

I would put Earl Seibert ahead of Scott Stevens on the Kitchener list.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
And if we really want to be specific, Yzerman would be the best player born in Cranbrook, B.C. He moved to Ontario as a child.

Potvin was better than Yzerman, too.

Wrong on all accounts.

Yzerman moved to Nepean when he was about 10. And he was better than Potvin.
As was Mike Gardner and Denis Savard (from across the river in Pointe Gatineau).

Guelph: Kirk Maltby? Never heard of anyone else from their, although I'm sure there is.

Kitchener? Darryl Sittler, followed by Milt Schmidt.

How about Tara, Ontario? Home of Fred "Cyclone" Taylor.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
London, Ontario

Best - Eric Lindros

Current - Joe Thornton, Eric Lindros, Jeff Carter, Jason Williams, Mike Van Ryan, Brian Willsie, Scott Thornton, Cody McCormick, Gregory Campbell.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
my district Ahuntsic-Bordeaux-Cartierville(montreal about 10 000 people)
Maurice ''Rocket'' Richard
Henry ''Pocket Rocket'' Richard
Mike Bossy !
maybe more ... :dunno:
Beat that ! :yo: ;)

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
EagleBelfour said:
Denis Potvin > Steve Yzerman

He has accomplished more but Eric Lindros =< Joe Thorton

Granted, we're just now seeing Joe Thornton come into his prime, but even so, Eric Lindros completely murders Joe Thornton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->