OT: Best pizza in Edmonton

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Dough from scratch? Just curious.

I once hit on a great dough recipe involving beer (what could sound better) but lost the recipe somewhere and forgot how I made it. Crust always seems to be too bland, too thin, too doughy since. The beer recipe had the best uniform rising and taste.

I also like my own pizza sauce and amped with flavor. Use more than most places do.

As with any homemade pizza mine is definitely more loaded than the sparse *pies* you get anywhere..

Whoops, missed this post.

Most of the time I'm too lazy to do my own. If you poke your nose around, you can find some decent pre made crusts. If I make it for other people I'll whip up some crust, but most times I'll just be a lazy dink.

When I was a young feller, I was all about the thick crust pizza's, but now I prefer thin crust so much more. The only time I'll get a thick one is from Chicago Deep Dish. **** they got some tasty pizza.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton

Most of the time I'm too lazy to do my own. If you poke your nose around, you can find some decent pre made crusts. If I make it for other people I'll whip up some crust, but most times I'll just be a lazy dink.

When I was a young feller, I was all about the thick crust pizza's, but now I prefer thin crust so much more. The only time I'll get a thick one is from Chicago Deep Dish. **** they got some tasty pizza.

I went to Chicago in the summer and thought I'd have to do the pizza thing.

I honestly thought the hype was crap. It's pizza after all. It can't be that different.

Yah well I found out it is.

You can put all the meat on a pizza you want.
All the cheese too.

They do.. they just do it better. Why not here.. Toronto, Vancouver, Seattle, Calgary.... dunno. but I went to 3 pizza places in Chicago and the only one that competes is Capital pizza in the north end and I still rate them behind.

Lou Malnati's, Giordano's is what i tried in chicago. and I wouldn't doubt you'd find as good or better there but i only had a couple days.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003

I honestly thought the hype was crap. It's pizza after all. It can't be that different.

All the cheese too.

They do.. they just do it better. Why not here.. Toronto, Vancouver, Seattle, Calgary.... dunno. but I went to 3 pizza places in Chicago and the only one that competes is Capital pizza in the north end and I still rate them behind.

Lou Malnati's, Giordano's is what i tried in chicago. and I wouldn't doubt you'd find as good or better there but i only had a couple days.

I ate at 3 of the most popular pizzerias in Chicago when I was there. Giordano's was my favourite, but in general, I was underwhelmed; maybe my expectations were set to high.

My foodie highlight there was the peanut butter and banana stuffed burger at Squared Circle.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

All the cheese too.

Just another reason I love this city. And those are the big chains you went to eat. One can find some great lesser known deep dish places after living here for awhile. Plus if you love thin crust we have numerous New York and Naples style pizza places. Spacca Napoli, my favorite thin crust place, really emulates that pizza we had when we visited friends in Naples.

I ate at 3 of the most popular pizzerias in Chicago when I was there. Giordano's was my favourite, but in general, I was underwhelmed; maybe my expectations were set to high.

My foodie highlight there was the peanut butter and banana stuffed burger at Squared Circle.

We have plenty of places for foodies too. Did you try any of the restaurants featuring James Beard award winning chefs?

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

All the cheese too.

He was probably talking about Chicago Deep Dish Pizza here in Edmonton. ;)

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
I forget the brand of thin crust I often buy from Safeway... it's the only one I ever buy.

If I had a lot more time on my hands, I'd love to develop a good homemade crust recipe. I just can't be bothered for now.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

All the cheese too.

I'd love to try some authentic Chicago style deep dish. I've never been to Chicago though. :(

He was probably talking about Chicago Deep Dish Pizza here in Edmonton. ;)

Haha, yeah I was. Their pizza will knock you on your ass and give you the food sweats. They are one of the only places I found that actually does feta right on a pizza. I can't order anything else from there. Pep, bacon, and feta every time.

madmutter

F**king Phenomenal
Jun 6, 2009
Tony's Pizza Palace on 111 ave.
Ragazzi's on 82 ave.
Spinelli's (Italian Centre) on 170 st.

All three are fantastic.

Anyone know of a good place that delivers on the west end? Please don't say Boston Pizza.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
Ragazzi's on 82 ave.

All three are fantastic.

Anyone know of a good place that delivers on the west end? Please don't say Boston Pizza.

Boston Pizza: The place people go to when they can't think of anywhere good to go.

*full disclosure: I was at BP's last night.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver

They have a nice thick crust. They actually buy pretty much all of their ingredients at Wholesale Club on 99st. I seen the guy there a lot. He would be in front of me a bunch of times upon checkout.

I prefer to make my own crust. My friends will ask us to bring some over to their house when we decide to make pizza.

After making my own dough (which takes no time at all), I can never buy a ready made crust anymore. Difference is too big.

I eat pizza usually once a week :)

Brian28

May 22, 2008
Ragazzi's on 82 ave.

All three are fantastic.

Add Versatos for anyone North side and Sams pizza is hit and miss. If Sam's working the pizza is awesome.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Amean Pizza on the southside (34th Ave. & 99 St.) makes a really good pizza. BONUS: donairs too.

fivecups

Nov 9, 2011
Edmonton
Pro tip for those wanting homemade dough but are too lazy to make it.

Find a local Italian/pizza place and find out if they will sell you their dough.

Personally I pick mine up from il forno on 149st. $2.00 for fresh dough, can't go wrong

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

All the cheese too.

I will second this, the pizza was unreal. The only downside is you literally feel like you will die after. The pizza is so good and so full of cheese. It is a heart attack waiting to happen, but man... So good!!!

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Didn't want to make an entirely new thread, ordering in tonight - what's the best Chinese delivery in this city?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad