Best performance ever by a player

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOVALEV10*

reckoning said:
The goal in question shouldn`t have counted because Lemaire was offside.

No actually I have the game recorded on tape and he wasn't offside.

KariyaIsGod*

Bring Back Bucky said:
How very sporting of Antropov and his mates to hold back once the game got out of reach :shakehead

lol, did anybody like, record this game?

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
Is it just me or does anyone else think it's poor sportsmanship to run up a 63-0 or 72-1 score?

I mean once you get to 15 points what's the point of scoring more?

As for single performances, I'd venture to say a few of Giguere's games in the playoffs in '03 were outstanding.

First game vs. Detroit, 5 OT game vs. Dallas, games against Minnesota (skate save and diving stick save)... maybe not best performance by a goaltender ever, but definitely up there.

grapeshine

Dec 9, 2002
Visit site
Vishinator05 said:
Is it just me or does anyone else think it's poor sportsmanship to run up a 63-0 or 72-1 score?

As for single performances, I'd venture to say a few of Giguere's games in the playoffs in '03 were outstanding.

First game vs. Detroit, 5 OT game vs. Dallas, games against Minnesota (skate save and diving stick save)... maybe not best performance by a goaltender ever, but definitely up there.

Agreed. It's disgraceful. Seriously though, it's hard to take however many points Antropov scored in that game seriously because it's clear they were playing a totally inferior opponent. If you're talking about "best performance" in a game some consideration has to go into who the opposition was and what the game meant. To score 5 points in a pre-season game is nice, but to score 5 points in a playoff game is performing on a whole different level.

Ogopogo*

Vishinator05 said:

\QUOTE]

If a team or player holds back they are cheating themselves, they are cheating the fans and they are making a mockery of the game. If you step on the ice, you go all out or don't even bother.

It isn't poor sportsmanship it is having pride in yourself and the sport. Give it your all or quit playing altogether.

That is how I see it.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Ogopogo said:
Vishinator05 said:

\QUOTE]

If a team or player holds back they are cheating themselves, they are cheating the fans and they are making a mockery of the game. If you step on the ice, you go all out or don't even bother.

It isn't poor sportsmanship it is having pride in yourself and the sport. Give it your all or quit playing altogether.

That is how I see it.

I can't agree with you on that one OGo... Yes, players owe it to themselves and the fans to give it their all. However, once the outcome of a contest has become an embarassment, it is time to start dumping the puck in out of harm's way rather than strive to win by 60 goals. It makes a "mockery" of the spirit of sportsmanship to continue to exert that kind of dominance once it has been determined that the contest is a clear mismatch.

pens66-87

recently, id say jagr's 7 point(3g,4a) game against the islanders in 99-00 season in a 9-3 win

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Bring Back Bucky said:
I can't agree with you on that one OGo... Yes, players owe it to themselves and the fans to give it their all. However, once the outcome of a contest has become an embarassment, it is time to start dumping the puck in out of harm's way rather than strive to win by 60 goals. It makes a "mockery" of the spirit of sportsmanship to continue to exert that kind of dominance once it has been determined that the contest is a clear mismatch.

Exactly. It`s called respect for your opponent. You don`t let in goals on purpose, but you don`t go all out offensively when it`s 10-0 late in the third. You`ll notice in most international tournaments that Canada usually lets up when the game is out of reach. Remember the gold medal game at the World Juniors last year; at the rate they were going they could have easily scored 12 goals, but there`s no point in humiliating an opponent who`s trying just as hard as you are.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
reckoning said:
Exactly. It`s called respect for your opponent. You don`t let in goals on purpose, but you don`t go all out offensively when it`s 10-0 late in the third. You`ll notice in most international tournaments that Canada usually lets up when the game is out of reach. Remember the gold medal game at the World Juniors last year; at the rate they were going they could have easily scored 12 goals, but there`s no point in humiliating an opponent who`s trying just as hard as you are.
just a comment - the sittler game was like that - i can't remember exactly but he got one from behind the net just tossing it in front - one from the corner - when they went in he just threw his hands up as if to say - i didn't mean it - it wasn't running up the score - it was just one of those thing's - there was a lot of humility there - almost apologetic -

chooch*

reckoning said:

I totally agree. Some prominent players liked to rack up late in game points to pad their totals. makes me wonder if with the right protection etc, antropov could win many Art Rosses (which are worth 7 points once you retire).

ps. Lemaire wasnt offside, and in any case, youre missing the point about how devastating that performance was with the chips on the line and down by 2 with a very tight checking team shutting the door. Those werent the Maple Leaves on the other side.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
mr gib said:
just a comment - the sittler game was like that - i can't remember exactly but he got one from behind the net just tossing it in front - one from the corner - when they went in he just threw his hands up as if to say - i didn't mean it - it wasn't running up the score - it was just one of those thing's - there was a lot of humility there - almost apologetic -

I think that may have been the last point after he already had the record which bounced of a Bruin player`s skate (Brad Park?) into the net. A total fluke.

Interesting fact: Take away that game and Dave Reece`s record that year is 7-4-2, 2 SO, 2.68 GAA. Actually pretty respectable for the era.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
reckoning said:
I think that may have been the last point after he already had the record which bounced of a Bruin player`s skate (Brad Park?) into the net. A total fluke.

Interesting fact: Take away that game and Dave Reece`s record that year is 7-4-2, 2 SO, 2.68 GAA. Actually pretty respectable for the era.
dave reece - trivia answer - cheers

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
chooch said:
I totally agree. Some prominent players liked to rack up late in game points to pad their totals. makes me wonder if with the right protection etc, antropov could win many Art Rosses (which are worth 7 points once you retire).

ps. Lemaire wasnt offside, and in any case, youre missing the point about how devastating that performance was with the chips on the line and down by 2 with a very tight checking team shutting the door. Those werent the Maple Leaves on the other side.

Someday I`ll print some game summaries from Lemieux`s career, you`ll find them interesting. Hockey Outsider has already printed evidence on here that ignoring all the goals in blowouts and only looking at goals scored when the score was close, Gretzky still had more points than anyone else of that time. If you have evidence proving otherwise, please provide it.

Regarding `79; Lafleur didn`t win the game himself. How many Lafleur chances were stopped by Gilles Gilbert in OT? If Lambert doesn`t score and Boston wins, how memorable would Lafleur`s game-tying goal be today?

It was offside, hit the slow-mo button.

KariyaIsGod*

Question... Was the Antropov game ever recorded?

I don't actually tihnk it's a great performance I really just want to watch it out of curiosity...

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
DrMoses said:

I don't actually tihnk it's a great performance I really just want to watch it out of curiosity...
It was Under 18's in some B category in 1997 or 8 against Iceland so it SURELY wasnt on TV.

The chances are IMO 0%.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
reckoning said:

Blah if Iceland was getting smoked that bad, other teams might have smoked them too and goals for and against count in those tournies. Imagine letting down at 30-0 and ending up not advancing because 2 other teams beat them 50-0

No matter what the score is, NEVER let up. It's disrespectful to the other team if you stop "trying"

I remember back in 87 there was about 14 minutes left in the third and Boston was ahead 5-0 and they showed respect to the Leafs and let up. 16 Minutes later Wendel Clark scores in OT for a 6-5 win. When you let up you lose your edge and its just about impossible to turn the edge on or off.

Geeze the Red Sox were beating the Jays in 89 10-0 at Fenway in the ninth inning and "let up" put in 2nd stringers to get them some playing time in the field. After Junior Felix hits an inside the park grand slam the Jays won 11-10

Never give up EVER, we pay to see 60 minutes of hockey. Not 45 minutes if one team has a big lead

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Vishinator05 said:

Seriously,. what should they do? Just sit on the ice and wait for the next 40 minutes? I thik it is OK. The other team could have given up.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
NataSatan666 said:
Blah if Iceland was getting smoked that bad, other teams might have smoked them too and goals for and against count in those tournies. Imagine letting down at 30-0 and ending up not advancing because 2 other teams beat them 50-0

No matter what the score is, NEVER let up. It's disrespectful to the other team if you stop "trying"

I remember back in 87 there was about 14 minutes left in the third and Boston was ahead 5-0 and they showed respect to the Leafs and let up. 16 Minutes later Wendel Clark scores in OT for a 6-5 win. When you let up you lose your edge and its just about impossible to turn the edge on or off.

Geeze the Red Sox were beating the Jays in 89 10-0 at Fenway in the ninth inning and "let up" put in 2nd stringers to get them some playing time in the field. After Junior Felix hits an inside the park grand slam the Jays won 11-10

Never give up EVER, we pay to see 60 minutes of hockey. Not 45 minutes if one team has a big lead

There's a difference between 5-0 and 50-0.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
DrMoses said:

So you can remember what it's like to see him score? Karma is one funny animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->