Best nicknames in hockey history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Habsfan 32 said:
I have a card of that guy when he played for San Jose i think :help: and he was huge. :eek:
He still is huge. He played last year in the Quebec Major Senior League. There was an article about the league and a lot about him in FHM magazine a few months ago (Sorry, I don't remember what month but Paris Hilton was on the cover) He had Probert skills in both fighter and playing, he was actually a pretty good player until he got in a car wreck and scrambled his brain a little. Oh, and there was the issue of the bottle too but who's counting. I saw him have an epic battle with Probert one night at The Tank. He would have been a good one. There are still Gaetz jerseys at Sharks games.

yvresgyros

Feb 8, 2005
Tampere, Finland
I believe 3 years ago, in Vancouver, before the beginning of the season, there was an add campaign for Canucks season tickets featuring all their prominent players with just their nicknames written on the poster. It was all over the city, on the Sky Train and all, Bert, the Klatter, Jovo, not sure if they used Dan The Man back then, but Naslund had the very unfortunate nickname of Nazzy. However you pronounce it, it still has very unfortunate repercussions, doesn't it...

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Habsfan 32 said:
I like the Bullin Wall. It sounds pretty cool. Also the Dominator is pretty cool.

He he, that reminds me, when Buffalo made the Cup final, the newspaper (Calgary)ran this cartoon that showed Hasek on the Jerry Springer show, with Springer saying to Hasek "So whats this I hear about the guy that wears rubber underwear and calls himself the Dominator?" (Hasek, it seems, had a slight groin pull and was wearing some kind of rubberish upper thigh wrap)

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
yvresgyros said:
I believe 3 years ago, in Vancouver, before the beginning of the season, there was an add campaign for Canucks season tickets featuring all their prominent players with just their nicknames written on the poster. It was all over the city, on the Sky Train and all, Bert, the Klatter, Jovo, not sure if they used Dan The Man back then, but Naslund had the very unfortunate nickname of Nazzy. However you pronounce it, it still has very unfortunate repercussions, doesn't it...

Yeah, I always wondered why the Canucks didn't give him another nikname. Slightly less bad was German Titov's nickname, pronounced "Teats." What the heck are these guys thinking? :confused:

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Howie Morenz ,actually had several nicknames,the most reknowned being
the Statford Streak but two more I can think of are the Mitchell Meteor and
the Canadien Comet and I know there were more.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
As far as "the best" nicknames in hockey history it looks like you have most of
them covered...........funny you should miss two of the "great ones".Maybe Waynes
was too obvious for your list but how about Mr. Hockey. :amazed:

jb**

pei fan said:
As far as "the best" nicknames in hockey history it looks like you have most of
them covered...........funny you should miss two of the "great ones".Maybe Waynes
was too obvious for your list but how about Mr. Hockey. :amazed:
FLOCKY HOCKEY

bigjfnd

Apr 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
gobert said:
Olie the Goalie has always been one of my favorites (Olie Kolzig, of course). Also the 'Russian rocket' is always a favorite too.

And the there's Rollie the Goalie (Rollie Melanson).

I heard an announcer refer to Henrik Sedin as "Hank." That just struck me as being funny cause Hank seems like such a redneck name for a Swedish guy.

IdiotsPickedMyName*

bigjfnd said:
Vlad "The Impaler" Konstantinov and "The Net Detective" Jim Carrey

Whatever happened to Jim Carrey he won the vezina and then what??

monkey_00*

Teeder........Kennedy
Toe.........Blake
Rocket........Richard
Boom Boom........Geoffrion
Babe.........Pratt
Turk...........Broda
Dominator........Hasek

KOVALEV10*

pjbth said:
Whatever happened to Jim Carrey he won the vezina and then what??

While with the IHL Cincinnati Cyclones, Carey suffered an inner ear concussion and missed the remainder of the postseason. I dont believe he played much after that.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
My favorites have all been mentioned... "Missing Link", "Red Light", "The Dominator", Gump Worsley, "Terrible Ted", "Rocket", "Russian Rocket" and some others. "Missing" Link Gaetz is probably the all-time best nickname though. How can you beat that? Works in his name AND fit him perfectly.

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
John Flyers Fan wrote: Two of my favorites, Andre "Red Light" Racicot

Interesting story I came across concerning Mr. Racicot. It was from the Montreal LaPresse newspaper, February, 1992. Andre makes a rather bold prediction.

Tampa Bay Lightning scouts have been eyeing Montreal Canadiens' goaltending prospect Andre Racicot, who is about as outspoken as Lightning president Phil Esposito. Racicot has a theory: if a goalie makes a spectacular save, "it's because the goalie wasn't positioned properly when the shot was taken."

Racicot told Montreal LaPresse, "I was watching Ron Tugnutt in the Nordiques' goal. He makes spectacular saves but he's always out of position. In less than 3 years from now (1992) he will no longer be playing in the NHL."

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
svetovy poharu said:
John Flyers Fan wrote: Two of my favorites, Andre "Red Light" Racicot

Interesting story I came across concerning Mr. Racicot. It was from the Montreal LaPresse newspaper, February, 1992. Andre makes a rather bold prediction.

Tampa Bay Lightning scouts have been eyeing Montreal Canadiens' goaltending prospect Andre Racicot, who is about as outspoken as Lightning president Phil Esposito. Racicot has a theory: if a goalie makes a spectacular save, "it's because the goalie wasn't positioned properly when the shot was taken."

Racicot told Montreal LaPresse, "I was watching Ron Tugnutt in the Nordiques' goal. He makes spectacular saves but he's always out of position. In less than 3 years from now (1992) he will no longer be playing in the NHL."

:biglaugh: It went the other way around it think.

skillplayer84

Apr 18, 2005
my idol is i dont rembmer as a player he but i say larry bigbird robinson and Mats le petit viking näslund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad