Best memory in hockey

• Thread starter Granlund2Pulkkinen*
  • Start date

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I posted mine. But to be more specific-

It was my senior year and I had spent many years on our varsity squad. My little brother who is definately the most talented hockey player in that school at the moment was 14 and I was 17 (I'll be 20 in exactly one month). My coach put us both on the same line for the season, I was LW and he was RW and we had a center who was a pretty good freind of ours. My brother is a bit smaller, he was 5'7" then and he's about 5'9" now, I'm a 5'11" and our center was 5'8", so we were small but fast. My best memory was the game where our line combined for 22 points in a major 15-4 victory over a rival team from Aurora. I had 2 goals and 5 assists my brother had 4 goals and 4 assists and our centerman had 2 goals and 4 assists. It was memorable to to see me leave and to have my little brother come in.

What moment left a happy mark on your hockey career?

Raoul Duke*

The year my hometown held the provincials in my first Bantam year. We were small town and had heavy hitting teams from Edmonton, Calgary in there and we went on a dream run 06 Oilers style.

Except in the championship game with about 2 minutes left vs. Calgary I was dog tired but battling in the slot and somehow the puck ended up on my blade. I just fired it at the net and to this day I still see it as slo-mo as I did when it happened. Seeing that puck rip through a crowd and hit the twine. Home crowd going wild, it'll probably always be the greatest moment of my entire life.

Then with about 30 seconds left, they had a 2on1 and I busted my ass getting back making sure my goal wasn't going to waste.... Did the whole outstreched dive, picked off the pass.

Every time I go back to my town and see our provincial champions banner hanging from the rafters... for whatever reason it's kind of my mark on this world. It's no Stanley Cup or anything but it's all pride man, best day of my life.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
I think mine was when I was a bantam. It's the one memeory from way back that still comes to mind. We were playing at the old Olympic rink in Squaw Valley. We won the game 10-4. I had 6 goals and 3 assists. The only point I remember was the 3rd assist. A guy on my line had never had a hat trick and after his 2nd goal he got himself all worked up about the possibility of getting one. He kept yapping on the bench and then in the 3rd period we had a 2 on 1 and I had the puck and he was trailing. I deked to the right and the goalie came with me and I dropped the puck back to him in the slot and he had a wide open net and got his hat trick. I'll never forget how happy he was, it was a good feeling.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
I have a few.

One game was last summer in roller. I didn't do anything but played hard. We were down 1-0 the whole game against a team that was way better than us. Our co-captain scored 2 goals in the last 2 minutes on the same shift to win the game, the team's first playoff victory after being together for over a year (I had just joined for the summer though).

Last spring, too, the Rutgers team I played for at Inman won our league championship. Drinking wine from the championship cup is a great feeling :-D.

One of mine happened last Sunday actually. I just started playing ice for the first time this spring. My team was down 1-0 the whole game until someone scored in the 3rd to make it 1-1. My friend who's on the first line was hurting, so he asked if I could double shift because my line was out right after his, and I'd play for him. I played about 15 seconds at C, but didn't like it, so the captain, who's LW, took over C and I played LW. Right after a faceoff win in our zone, we head up, and C shoots and it gets deflected to the back right corner. He goes in to get it and the RW and me post up in front of the net. A defender covers the RW and I'm open. I'm on the left side of the net. C throws the puck to us, and it gets through the crowd to me. I deflect it off my skate, it hits off the goalies pads and comes out to a wide open net, and I pound it home backhanded (I'm a leftie). Probably one of the best goals I've ever had, we won the game 2-1 on that goal. I'm doing ok for my first league ever playing ice, 3 G 5 A. I've been playing roller for 2 years now though. I think I'll be going to ice once I graduate from Rutgers though ;).

I love reading some of these stories, BTW.

The 2 above me are great. The goal I just mentioned is one I keep replaying in slo mo in my head. And I have gotten a hattrick in roller, my first game in the last summer league with that amazing win. My first game for them actually, I came in not expecting much and just played my best, and even though I had a hattrick we still lost 6-5. I wasn't too happy about the hattrick, but looking back on it it's nice to have another thing to check off on a list of hockey accomplishments.

Last edited:

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
I'll throw my story in. It was the second year I'd ever played ice hockey after a couple of seasons of inline. My team was playing a "rival" team of older guys that liked to throw their weight around and be physical. Since I was still a n00b player I felt my role that season was to give the more skilled guys a breather, play good defense, (I'm a center) and change.

I ended up with a hat trick in that game, after scoring only 2 goals the entire previous season. I remember each one clearly to this day. The first goal, I was planted on the right side of the net (goalie's left) and one of our better players carried the puck behind the net, circled out in front, saw me wide open, and sent a pass right to my tape. I didn't really do anything, the puck just redirected in off of my blade, but hey, it counted.

Later, I was fighting for position in front of the net with the puck behind it. A winger picked it up and threw it out in front, it hit the backhand side of my blade and without even thinking I quickly drew the puck to my forehand and tucked it just inside the far post. Up until that point, I had never done anything like that in a game, just practicing in my basement on concrete, so it was a thrill to realize that it had just paid off.

Then late in the game, I received a long pass in the neutral zone and suddenly found myself in a 1-on-1 situation. Not knowing what exactly to do I made a quick cut inside the blueline with the defenseman approaching and let go a prayer of a shot along the ice. The goaltender probably misjudged it or didn't see me let it go due to his teammate trying to defend me, but next thing I knew it went past him low stick side and I had my first career hat trick!

The best part - final score: 3-2.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
Hockey Memories

Great stories guys. I'll add two of my own.

I was playing in a Bantam aged tournament in Indy. I don't remember who we were playing, or what the score was, but for this story it doesn't matter. We had just turned the puck over and the other teams winger was carrying it diaganoly through the neutral zone. I was backchecking hard and was looking for an open ice hit, as was the defenseman on my team, who is now my best friend. He went low, I went high, and the other teams forward avoided both of us. We hit each other so hard, that I knocked the sense out of my buddy. I remember sitting on top of him and asking him, "are you ok?" He looked at me and mumbled, and then we got up and he skated right off the ice. He was ok, but just a little dazed.

I was playing juniors, and my team was down 4-1 with 2 minutes left in the 3rd period. My line, the fourth line, had been riding the bench for the whole game except for one shift in the 1st period. During a stoppage in play the coach changes lines and puts us out there with just around 2 minutes remaining, figuring that the game is over, we might as well get the fourth liners some icetime. AS we were changing the captain climbs over the boards and says, "it's over." I jumped the boards and said, "not yet." We get the puck deep in their zone and begin to cycle. The puck goes up to the point, who winds up and takes a shot. I'm already set up in front of the net and am able to deflect a nice low shot past the goalie. All I remember is hearing the puck hit the padding in the back of the net. 4-2, around a minute remaining.

We line up for the face off and lose the draw but are able to get possession of the puck. Me and the center pass it back and forth to get around the defense. We wind up spliting the defense, and as the defenseman was turning around to come get me, the puck winds up on my stick. I drop it back to the defenseman who has jumped in on the play and he blasts it past the goalie high glove, with a slapper. 4-3 around 30 seconds remaining.

We line up for the face off again. This time we win the draw and the center is able to break away from the other center towards the offensive zone. The puck is on my stick and I head man the puck to him and he gets into a 2 on 1 with the other winger. The center gets the puck to the right of the slot and lets a wrister go. The goalie makes the save, but it trickles through his arm and the side of his body and is laying in the crease for me to hammer home, which I do. 4-4 with around 20 seconds to go. The last 20 seconds is a defensive, neutral zone battle, with no scoring or major hitting resulting in anything.

In OT, my line got to start and we are still locked in a neutral zone battle. The puck breaks free and one of their guys starts in to our zone, but gets stood up by one of our smaller d-men and they get tangled up. They get tangled up and exchange blows. After the scrum everyone is just standing around. I was watching the fight, and on the other side of players watching their captain was standing by our bench yapping with a injured player on the bench. All of a sudden, their captain swings his stick at the injured player on our bench. I skate around everybody, drop the gloves and grab their captain. He drops his gloves and I proceeded to hammer him with rights until the refs jump in and break us up. The game ends in a tie, 4-4. I end up with 2g, 1a, and a 5 minute fighting major. My first Gordie Howe hat trick.

BaconStrips

Oct 22, 2005
Pee-Wee or Bantam, I can't remember. I was playing goal. It was one of those Christmas tournaments. We won a game 1-0 with getting 6 shots. The play was in our end the entire game. It was one of those performances you know happened but don't entirely remember. Supposedly I made over 60 stops. The only one I really remember was a break-away glove save. The kid comes in alone from the blueline and deaks once then cuts to his forehand and shoots. I glove the puck in an entirely reflex based save, whipping it around like Roy because, you know, I was 13 or 14. I wasn't completely aware of what happened but the fair sized crowd was going nuts. All the players on the ice came over and tapped my pads (both teams). After the game, parents from the other, obviously much better team, were saying it was the best performance they had seen and such. It was surreal. Dad's from the other team were in our locker room talking to me.

Another, shorter story: I was at Howie Meeker hockey school as a goalie. I didn't pay and they basically needed a body. This school was not goalie friendly. While the butterfly was now becoming dominant (mid-90s), we were told to stay on our feet no matter what. Of course, I didn't care what they said, playing for fun as I was heading to an actual goalie school later. Anyways, during one of the scrimmages I went to poke check a breakaway and sorta missed as the kid shot. I ended up in a hella old-school pad-stack gloving the puck. Howie Meeker came down and congratulated me. However, I thought this was odd as he had recently berated a goalie for dropping to the butterfly and I had pretty much Haseked the breakaway. Later in that day I would attempt to one time a dump in, miss, and have it go in my own net. I thought it was hilarious, one of the 'goalie coaches' didn't think so.

Same year, a goalie friend would accidentally trip Howie Meeker as he was demonstrating a drill. One of the Junior Meekers nearly took his head off.

The Korean*

It was a playoff between my team and some other team in teen hockey league. We were down 3-0. From then on (I was a goalie) I made average of 60 saves per game and got shutout 4 games straight to win the series. It was a beautiful comeback. And oh, we won the championship too. I was named the mvp.

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
pee wee AA here in Montreal. I was goalie.

Tournament called my coach 4 hours before game time to ask us to join the tournament due to a last minute cancelation. We showed up there and ran over everyone. My team sucked all year we won like 10 games but at that tournament we went 6 and 0. We won the first 5 games by shutout, 5-0, 2-0,1-0,1-0 and 2-0. In the finals it was 1-0 for us with 1 minute left and my defencemen deflected the puck into my net. Going into overtime I did like Patrick Roy and told my team, nothing is going in my net. 37 seconds into overtime we scored the winner. Needless to say i won goalie and mvp of the tournament. Greatest week of my life as a goalie, I was unbeatable.

ajjg123*

this one time i scored a goal and it was cool and is scored it good./

mazzinov

Jan 8, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
My all time favorite memory was winning 3rd place in the provincials. We were down 2-1 late in the first game, and that's when I put the team on my back and carried them. I scored three goals in about 7 minutes, and we won the first game 4-2. We kept winning until we eventually lost in the semi's 2-1. We won the 3rd place game 6-4. I had 7 goals, and 9 assists to lead the tournament in scoring and somehow won MVP, without winning.

My second favorite memory was at a regular city tournament. We were down 3-1, and our goalie had just made a huge save. I turned to the guys on the bench, and said, 'we're going to win this game guys.' I went out on the next shift and scored to make it 3-2. I scored again in the third to tie the game up. I almost scored with one second left, but my shot hit the post so we went into OT. In OT, I was in the slot, was so tired from battling this bigger guy, and just shoved this backhand on net. I couldn't see what happened, all I saw was the ref signaling goal. I turned and just skated down the ice and slide on my knees, and my teammates all jumped on me. It was great because a guy on their team went to my highschool, and we didn't get along so it was nice to win and rub it in his face.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
ONE:

My favorite is definately the first time I ever played the game. Living near Austin, texas, near bergstome AFB, my father an Air Force NCO, I was enrolled in what would be considered Pre-kindergarten now. One day, Getting off the bus with the other AF brats, an older boy told me I was going to be "goalie" in one of their street hockey games.

With no net, the garbage dumpster had a chalked 4x6 outline. the gear was hand made pads from couch cushions. A ratty old baseball glove and beat up goalie stick made up the rest of the gear. Going back to 1962-63 masks were not part of the deal for most goalies. I still do not wear a mask for ball hockey. The garbage dumpster leaked this liquid slime, flies, maggots and the smell...OMG.

I played for about an hour not knowing if I was stopping the shots or if the boys were just shooting AT me. Hearing my mom yelling for me, i stripped off the gear and ran home. A bloody nose, red welts all over my face and the start of my first hockey black eye, I got home with my clothes pretty much ruined. Ripped pants, stinking of garbage swill and grinning froim ear to ear that the older boys let me play. My mom wasnt quite so happy. Got my butt whooped and made to kneel on a bag of split peas for half an hour, for ruining my clothes. My mom was pretty inventive with her punishments.

the next day the boys were there waiting for me to go in net. I ran home and changed into my snake hunting clothes and ran backto join the game. I was hooked on the game and position. Never played a single minute as an outplayer....

TWO:

Second favorite was just a few years ago. Going to a skate and shoot in Buffalo (Holiday Twin) only one old guy(older than me) was there. 11:30 Am sessions were normaly dead. The guy looked familiar but I couldnt place him. He proceeded to school me for the next hour and a half. He didnt have great wheels but the shot was incredible. Every 10-15 minutes he needed a 5 min break. He would shoot, score and then tell me what I did that gave him an opening. Drop my glove an inch and he would take it....lol

A week or so later, I took my youngest to the Sabres alumni game at HSBC. There in the players box was the old dude. Banging on the glass, I got his attention. Giving him a "what the hell" look and shrug with a grin he started laughing as he recognized me from the skate and shoot. Gilbert Perault......:amazed: I yelled over the glass to him, " If I had known who you were I wouldnt have taken it so easy on you..." we both laughed.

arcticwinter

Apr 16, 2005
i had a 9g 7a game but the other team was horrible that day.i would have to say going out as the only forward on a five on three during a 3-3 playoff final game with two minutes left in the third and getting caught out there the whole time under siege in a shooting gallery,only to block the defensemans shot and score on a breakaway deke as both defensemen caught me at the goalcrease with one second left.my coach told me after the game he would have tried to attack me if i missed.the two defensemen,myself and the goalie all ended up in the net and i got dogpiled by my entire team and i think i went without oxygen for 4-5 minutes.

arcticwinter

Apr 16, 2005
one more thing on this topic,there's no feeling like taking the shot to win in a shootout.from the spot you take to start from to the time you first pick up the puck at center ice its a weird rush.you have an unbelievable feeling of excitement being overwhelmed by a fear of screwing up.great experience when you can it though.

caps8

Apr 9, 2007
I have 4 different games where I had a moment that I can not choose one over.

Two of them are from peewee when I scored 4 goals in each game. The first game I did not really score any nice goals, but a lot of breakaways and accurate shots. But the second game I scored two nice goals. The first one, I was playing the RW on the PK and there was a loose puck at center ice. Speed is my main weakness in my game but I was able to beat the defencemen to the puck and when I got in on the goalie I crossed through the crease. The defencemen got back and tripped me and I shot the puck into the net in the air, (like Bobby Orr). Then on the next goal I was in the slot and got a pass from my C. The defencemen tripped me and I shot while falling backwards. (unfortunately like Crosby, hence my nickname)

My next one was an individual rush. The puck got past a forward and I went in on a 1 on 2. I put the puck through a defencemen's skate(deking my strength) and went into score. But the good part was when I went past the defencemen as they both collided into each other.

In Bantom, there are 3 rounds. We were in the second round and you had to win 3 games to advance to the finals. I had an amazing game, with two goals and 3 assists. My first goal was nothing special but my first assist was a blind pass from the blueline right to my leftwinger in front of the net. But my second goal was what made it memorable. We had to come back from a 5-2 game in the 3rd period. We tied it up and with 18 seconds left, I got the puck in front of the net and I went the other way on the goalie and shelfed a backhand to send us to the finals.

I expect for more points next season and maybe some more highlight reel goals.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

ONE:

My favorite is definately the first time I ever played the game. Living near Austin, texas, near bergstome AFB, my father an Air Force NCO, I was enrolled in what would be considered Pre-kindergarten now. One day, Getting off the bus with the other AF brats, an older boy told me I was going to be "goalie" in one of their street hockey games.

With no net, the garbage dumpster had a chalked 4x6 outline. the gear was hand made pads from couch cushions. A ratty old baseball glove and beat up goalie stick made up the rest of the gear. Going back to 1962-63 masks were not part of the deal for most goalies. I still do not wear a mask for ball hockey. The garbage dumpster leaked this liquid slime, flies, maggots and the smell...OMG.

I played for about an hour not knowing if I was stopping the shots or if the boys were just shooting AT me. Hearing my mom yelling for me, i stripped off the gear and ran home. A bloody nose, red welts all over my face and the start of my first hockey black eye, I got home with my clothes pretty much ruined. Ripped pants, stinking of garbage swill and grinning froim ear to ear that the older boys let me play. My mom wasnt quite so happy. Got my butt whooped and made to kneel on a bag of split peas for half an hour, for ruining my clothes. My mom was pretty inventive with her punishments.

the next day the boys were there waiting for me to go in net. I ran home and changed into my snake hunting clothes and ran backto join the game. I was hooked on the game and position. Never played a single minute as an outplayer....

TWO:

Second favorite was just a few years ago. Going to a skate and shoot in Buffalo (Holiday Twin) only one old guy(older than me) was there. 11:30 Am sessions were normaly dead. The guy looked familiar but I couldnt place him. He proceeded to school me for the next hour and a half. He didnt have great wheels but the shot was incredible. Every 10-15 minutes he needed a 5 min break. He would shoot, score and then tell me what I did that gave him an opening. Drop my glove an inch and he would take it....lol

A week or so later, I took my youngest to the Sabres alumni game at HSBC. There in the players box was the old dude. Banging on the glass, I got his attention. Giving him a "what the hell" look and shrug with a grin he started laughing as he recognized me from the skate and shoot. Gilbert Perault......:amazed: I yelled over the glass to him, " If I had known who you were I wouldnt have taken it so easy on you..." we both laughed.

That first story reminds me of my dad.

He grew up in poverty in Finland and the first time he played hockey it was with old wood hockeysticks and a rock... he was a goalie... just imagine how that felt.

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
I'm a stay at home defensive defenseman, no shot, no offensive skill, hands of stone, etcetera. I know how to block shots, know where to be, and know how to play the man. It stops there.

Game I was in went to OT, no winner in OT, and it goes to shootout. Yes, this is a Marek Malik story, though hardly as many fireworks in my shot. We only had an eleven man bench, so pickin's are slim in long shootouts. Came up to the fifth shooter for our team, we had a chance to win. Coach says "All right, Brock, you go", I gave him a puzzled look, shrugged my shoulders, and went at it. Skate down, do an impression of a deke, I think, and I slipped it past the goalies left pad. My team goes nuts, the whole place follows suit. I guess when the two-hundred-eighty pound stay at home blueliner gets a lot of attention when he wins a shootout. We won it, and I'm skating back to my bench, stick down, not celebrating at all. I don't score goals, hell, I've had six goals over 11 years of playing, and three of them came in one night (that hat trick would be number two, total fluke though). When I get them I don't know what to do. My team tries to tackle me when I get toward the bench, but once again, 280 pounder here, I stand my ground. It's my favourite memory because everyone got a kick out of a d-man like me winning a shootout. Fun for everyone. More fun for the show I unintentionally put on than winning the game, it wasn't even an important game. Just a good time.

Jysk

Jul 3, 2004
Skellefteå Sweden
One of my funniest moments was my first on ice training with our a-team (tier 2).
One of the older guys Hans Hjalmar (played in sel) was werry irritated with me because of the way i played (think a young Luke Richardsson) and the fact that i had just turned 16. He came down the wing when i hip checked him and he went over the bords in to to knees of our teammates on the bench.
That felt so god and he was so pissed off :D

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=1880

One sad moment was on a tournament i Sundsvall i belive. It was in the semifinals and one of the opponents came in along the bords over our blueline. As usally i used a hipchecked and flipped him over mee and right with his face first right in the metal beam wich holds the high glaas in the corner. Kinda like when Dale Hunter forced Joe Nieuwendyks head in the beam but i did it Unintentially.
The guy had to be taken out on a stretcher and in a ambulance and he was uncouses the whole time. He only got a councission and a broken nose, to think of all the blood. Well i tought i had killed him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->