Best Lounge to watch road games?

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
The boys and I are looking for a good place to go and watch tomorrow’s away game. We all feel like getting out of the house. Outlet criteria is as follows...

Big Screen/Screens... and proximity of seating to them, Comfortable seating, oh and would be nice to have the audio as well. I hate not being able to hear the play by play.

Hoping you guys have some suggestions that we maybe missing!

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
It sounds to me like you want a lounge with expensive furnishings that people come into to sit quietly and listen to what's on the TV. I don't think too many people would start a business like that because it couldn't compete with the existing places like that: home.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
When I lived in Winnipeg Pony Corral was where I would go if I wanted to enjoy the game with the boys outside of the house. It has locations all over the city but I mainly used the one in Winnipeg South on Pembina, good beer, fantastic wings and ample screens to watch the games. No audio though. Not that busy either.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Underdogs is your best bet. I might be a bit biased in saying this as I used to work there but they are my favourite lounge in Winnipeg. If your going there I suggest pierogi nachos, Buff burger or fish tacos, I swear they have the best food in Winnipeg..

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
The boys and I are looking for a good place to go and watch tomorrow’s away game. We all feel like getting out of the house. Outlet criteria is as follows...

Big Screen/Screens... and proximity of seating to them, Comfortable seating, oh and would be nice to have the audio as well. I hate not being able to hear the play by play.

Hoping you guys have some suggestions that we maybe missing!

1) Metropolitan Theatre
-biggest screen in Winnipeg for Jets games. Massive doesn't begin to describe it. Think Silver City Theatre size with concert level sound. Very busy pre game for home games then a ghost town during the games. You'll get damn good service & can sit in a centre balcony box that can easily accommodate whatever the size of your group is.
-audio is always on.
2) Boston Pizza
-lots of tv's, lots of locations around the city, booze relatively cheap. Probably the most popular place to watch Jets games in Winnipeg.
-audio always on
3) Underdogs
-so many tv's it's like impossible for one to not to have at least a dozen within sight regardless of where you are sitted.
-if you like burgers & burger inspired sandwiches, this is you're place.
-in the old Keg in St. James. If you're not that old it's in the old Dylan O'Connors
-audio always on
4) Tavern United
-lots of locations around the city, some locations have superior A/V installations then others.
-Downtown location next door to MTS Centre & Windsor Park location (old U4ia/Pharoahs/Stereo) are the premium ones
-Garden City, Transcona, Polo Park experiences are fine, but nothing like the premium ones mentioned above
-audio always on

There's lots of other options out there. Smitty's locations are good.I recently met an old buddy & watched at Jeffrey's Restaraunt & it was packed. We should have arrived earlier as some seats are better than others. Pony Corral locations have full audio as well, but if you want to pay 529 Wellington prices for sub par deep fried food be my guest. I'd have rated the Pony in my initial comments above if there price points were not so totally off the mark for the product they offer. Downtown location is their best, although spring is just around the corner & their screens are invisible with direct sunlight coming in. Avoid afternoon games & likely every playoff game at the downtown location.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm going to be in Calgary should the Jets make it out of the first round. Any suggestions for a place to watch games?

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
1) Metropolitan Theatre
-biggest screen in Winnipeg for Jets games. Massive doesn't begin to describe it. Think Silver City Theatre size with concert level sound. Very busy pre game for home games then a ghost town during the games. You'll get damn good service & can sit in a centre balcony box that can easily accommodate whatever the size of your group is.
-audio is always on.
2) Boston Pizza
-lots of tv's, lots of locations around the city, booze relatively cheap. Probably the most popular place to watch Jets games in Winnipeg.
-audio always on
3) Underdogs
-so many tv's it's like impossible for one to not to have at least a dozen within sight regardless of where you are sitted.
-if you like burgers & burger inspired sandwiches, this is you're place.
-in the old Keg in St. James. If you're not that old it's in the old Dylan O'Connors
-audio always on
4) Tavern United
-lots of locations around the city, some locations have superior A/V installations then others.
-Downtown location next door to MTS Centre & Windsor Park location (old U4ia/Pharoahs/Stereo) are the premium ones
-Garden City, Transcona, Polo Park experiences are fine, but nothing like the premium ones mentioned above
-audio always on

There's lots of other options out there. Smitty's locations are good.I recently met an old buddy & watched at Jeffrey's Restaraunt & it was packed. We should have arrived earlier as some seats are better than others. Pony Corral locations have full audio as well, but if you want to pay 529 Wellington prices for sub par deep fried food be my guest. I'd have rated the Pony in my initial comments above if there price points were not so totally off the mark for the product they offer. Downtown location is their best, although spring is just around the corner & their screens are invisible with direct sunlight coming in. Avoid afternoon games & likely every playoff game at the downtown location.
Underdogs have any good taps? That's the biggest problem with pretty much all the other places on this list.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Underdogs have any good taps? That's the biggest problem with pretty much all the other places on this list.

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 4.27.37 PM.png

Swiftt

Jul 3, 2016
Winnipeg
10/10 recommend Underdogs. My go to place to watch the game with buddies. I also highly recommend Canadian Brewhouse on Kenaston. Great atmosphere, and they also give away jets tickets every game.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Tend to agree. Tavern United likely the worst for beer selections on tap. My sister asked them what they had for imports & the waitress suggested MGD. Although technically an import clearly that's not what she meant. Regardless their beer menu is bad & what makes it worse is their corporate image as a "tavern" when they are the furthest thing from. Not a fan of the "United" tagline either since they often forget that soccer exists. During the World Cup managers needed to be prodded to get the games on.

I watched the Detroit game at the Kings Head on Friday, arguably the best tap selection in Winnipeg. Sadly no audio for the game despite assurances it would be on. I'm good friends with staff. If I couldn't get the audio on, it's doubtful it happens often.

I've yet to watch a game there, but the Brazen Hall may offer the best combination of both. There's certainly enough tv's. If the audio is on that may be your best option. They also have casks, although only on Thursdays I believe.

A final thought would be one of my favourite watering holes the Grove (Grosvenor & Stafford), but it's so close to my place that if I'm in the area I'd rather watch the game at home. Despite drinking there more than any other place in Winnipeg, I've yet to ever watch a Jets game there. Soccer yes, hockey no. Like Brazen Hall they also have cask beer one day a week. You'd have to call to find out as it's not with the regularity that Brazen Hall does this.

Reactions: Ducky10

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I'm going to be in Calgary should the Jets make it out of the first round. Any suggestions for a place to watch games?

I was going to recommend Schanks, but I haven't been myself for around 10 years, and a quick check of online reviews suggest they may not be the hot place anymore for sports.

But really this is Canada - any half-proper sports bar should have a Canadian team in the second round on with sound.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I was going to recommend Schanks, but I haven't been myself for around 10 years, and a quick check of online reviews suggest they may not be the hot place anymore for sports.

But really this is Canada - any half-proper sports bar should have a Canadian team in the second round on with sound.

When I lived in Calgary the big sports lounge was Yankee Doodles on Electric Avenue immediately across the street from Coconut Joes & Bandito's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->