Best line in the league? Kucherov-Stamkos-Namestnikov?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Kuch is on fire. He's been in Tampa since June working on his game and it's paying off now. Stamkos has worked really well with him and he's not even at his best game yet. When Stamkos and Kuch are at the top of their game, Namestnikov doesn't have to do much other than not suck. He has been good complimentary player for them though. I'll take them just as much as any other top duo in the league.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Kuch is on fire. He's been in Tampa since June working on his game and it's paying off now. Stamkos has worked really well with him and he's not even at his best game yet. When Stamkos and Kuch are at the top of their game, Namestnikov doesn't have to do much other than not suck. He has been good complimentary player for them though. I'll take them just as much as any other top duo in the league.

Namestnikov is not on par with them talent-wise, but he's becoming an effective complementary player, better than last year, especially with his work along the boards. Also, his front net presence, his knack for disrupting the opposition's breakout and possession game feeds his linemates with more offensive zone time. In short, they have a nice chemistry going on.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
huh?

Tampa line: 6GP: 10G-15A-25P: 1.67GPG, 4.17PPG

Toronto Line: 5GP: 8G-7A-15P: 1.6GPG, 3PPG

How is that even close? The Tampa line has 10 more points in 1 more game, do you need help explaining what "only goals count" means? The Tampa lines possession numbers are ridiculous right now along with their production.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Matthews line scores 10P next game.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Nylander/Matthews/Hyman has had over 10 really good scoring chances tonight and not scored a goal, unreal.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Panarin-Wennberg-Atkinson have 17 pts through the first 6 games. Nothing crazy, but just wait until panarin starts really letting them fly. 7/8 points so far are assists.

No Werenski on the other hand... He's on Pace for 40+ goals.

Jackets don't have one dominant line, the skill really is divided up extremely well on both the offense and defense.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Some crazy performances so far.

I like looking at expected goals for percentage, myself. Adjusted for score and zone deployment.

Here are the best lines so far at even strength by those measures (min 50min):

1.Matthews/Nylander/Hyman: 71.0xgf%
2.Zibanejad/Kreider/Buchnevich: 63.8xgf%
3.Johanssen/Forsberg/Arvidsson: 63.2xgf%
4.Thornton/Pavelski/Labanc: 63.1xgf%
5.Toews/Saad/Panik: 62.1xgf%
6.Tavares/Eberle/Lee: 61.3xgf%
7.Stepan/Domi/Keller: 59.3xgf%
8.Wennberg/Atkinson/Panarin: 57.5xgf%
9.Kopitar/Brown/Iafallo: 56.2xgf%
10.Benn/Seguin/Radulov: 55.6xgf%

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Some crazy performances so far.

I like looking at expected goals for percentage, myself. Adjusted for score and zone deployment.

Here are the best lines so far at even strength by those measures (min 50min):

1.Matthews/Nylander/Hyman: 71.0xgf%
2.Zibanejad/Kreider/Buchnevich: 63.8xgf%
3.Johanssen/Forsberg/Arvidsson: 63.2xgf%
4.Thornton/Pavelski/Labanc: 63.1xgf%
5.Toews/Saad/Panik: 62.1xgf%
6.Tavares/Eberle/Lee: 61.3xgf%
7.Stepan/Domi/Keller: 59.3xgf%
8.Wennberg/Atkinson/Panarin: 57.5xgf%
9.Kopitar/Brown/Iafallo: 56.2xgf%
10.Benn/Seguin/Radulov: 55.6xgf%

I like how you adjust for score and zone deployment. You should go a step further and adjust for "Actual Scoring" in order to determine the current best line.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I like how you adjust for score and zone deployment. You should go a step further and adjust for "Actual Scoring" in order to determine the current best line.

Okay. 5v5 Matthews has been on the ice for 7 goals for, 1 against.

5v5 Stamkos has been on the ice for 7 goals, 5 against.

Which one of those seems better? Why do you guys think adding total points is the best way to determine the most effective line?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Okay. 5v5 Matthews has been on the ice for 7 goals for, 1 against.

5v5 Stamkos has been on the ice for 7 goals, 5 against.

Which one of those seems better? Why do you guys think adding total points is the best way to determine the most effective line?
Funny how people who say "only actual goals matter" forget that there are two nets

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
When you have twice the offensive production it doesn't matter, especially considering the Tampa line are all plus players with ridiculous possession numbers. I mean Stamkos and Namestnikov alone have more points than the leafs line, nevermind Kucherov.

But hey I also remember people trying to argue Toews was better than Malkin in 2012.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad