Best line in the league? Kucherov-Stamkos-Namestnikov?

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
haha guys, its a long hockey season, and we're only 5 games in; so it's a small sample size and impossible to make a prediction. so excuse me while i go ahead and write a paragraph about what i think,

Paragraph? Ok.

I said, it is too small of a sample size to make any "major" conclusions. Do you see the important word in that sentence? I put it in quotes, underlined and bolded it for you, incase you can't find it :). All I did was just give some impressions I had from watching a handful of games, pretty far from any "major" conclusions. You should actually think about you say before you type it.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I really love how they're "expecting" a line pivoted by 2017 Plekanic (lol) to score the 5th most goal in the league. I know, I'm nitpicking...
Not really nitpicking, small sample sizes have only limited statistical significance. However they were pretty awesome in playoffs too, so if someone could pull numbers from their last 50ish games played that would certainly clarify things a bit

Reactions: Lampedampe

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Right, and they still aren't as good as the Leafs line. Kucherov is shooting almost 40%, and their possession numbers still aren't close to the Leafs trio.

And Stamkos is shooting at 4.3% right now.

You also have to take into consideration the style and strengths of those lines. The Tampa line is all about putting the puck in the net and are a threat to score any given shift, all they need is 1 chance. Leafs line might be better at number of different things, but you can't tell me more scoring chances is better than more goals.

Maybe the Tampa line is just better at finishing.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I wonder why score boards don't keep track of chances instead of goals scored.
it shouldn't be this complicated honestly. JVR has more goals and points than Connor McDavid. Who has been better so far? It's McDavid, since he's creating way more offense and is better defensively in case you weren't sure

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
it shouldn't be this complicated honestly. JVR has more goals and points than Connor McDavid. Who has been better so far? It's McDavid, since he's creating way more offense and is better defensively in case you weren't sure
No it's McDavid because McDavid is better without argument. McDavid and jvr are not a comparable.
These lines are comparable both with great players. One right now is more productive. You're arguing chances are bigger factor than actual goals. It's flat out dumb.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
No it's McDavid because McDavid is better without argument. McDavid and jvr are not a comparable.
These lines are comparable both with great players. One right now is more productive. You're arguing chances are bigger factor than actual goals. It's flat out dumb.
no, I'm arguing chances at both ends of the ice are a bigger indicator of good play over such a small sample size because eventually games will tighten up and shooting percentages will drop

Why don't you explain how McDavid has been better through the season so far though? JVR has more goals and points so by your own criteria he has to have been better

Reactions: Garthinater

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
no, I'm arguing chances at both ends of the ice are a bigger indicator of good play over such a small sample size because eventually games will tighten up and shooting percentages will drop

Why don't you explain how McDavid has been better through the season so far though? JVR has more goals and points so by your own criteria he has to have been better

But that has absolutely nothing to do with the current small sample size, now does it? You're mixing what you think will happen in the future, with the present. By your logic, if tomorrow Ovechkin scores 5 goals, but Backstrom has 1 assist and is elite at generating and suppressing chances, Backstrom was the better player in that game just because Ovechkin won't be able to score 5 every night?

In any case, you're banking on the fact that the Tampa line is going to slow down significantly. I personally wouldn't bank on it, Kucherov just scored 40 last year without a top line. Which brings us back to what these lines are good at. Tampa line will be able to score on a consistent basis no matter what type of game it is. Leafs line will continue to be good all-around but will have inconsistent finish. In a game where only goals count, you can't say the Leafs line is clear cut better just because they generate more chances.

If it all was as simple as you make it out to be, Caps would've beaten the Pens last year. Maybe there was a moral victory somewhere.

Last edited:

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Call me old fashioned, but I take the goals and points over advanced stats.

Btw, do the advanced stats give better offense generated numbers for a play where players get 3 shots on goal in a sequence (with rebounds etc.) without scoring than for a sequence where a player scores with only one shot?

This is something that I started to ponder when I read that Matthews and co. are blowing the Kucherov line out of the ball park by advanced stat metrics. As a fan I cheer more for plays which lead up to goals, rather then plays which are all hustle without the end result.

Reactions: PensandCaps

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
The matthews line had something like a 22-3 shot attempt advantage over the kane line and keith/seabrook pairing.....
13pts and a +15 from Matthews and Nylander alone. Throw JVR or Marleau on that line and it has a chance to be among the highest scoring

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Love that line,barring injuries I wouldn't bet against them being the most productive line at seasons end.

It's crazy how Stamkos has become the setup man for Kucherov (at least until Stamkos gets going).

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Kucherov 4th player in league history to score a goal in each of first 6 games (correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure).

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
lot of great lines far. to reject any stat be cause it doesn't support your argument 5-6 games in is use less. CF and CA are stats that need high volume of info to form opinions. points are great indicator in smaller samplings simply because its more concrete.
I cant say one has been more dominate than another based off who everyone has play. but Tor, Phi, Tampa, and Wash all have dominate top line right now.
And philly severely out played Washington's the other day.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
But that has absolutely nothing to do with the current small sample size, now does it? You're mixing what you think will happen in the future, with the present. By your logic, if tomorrow Ovechkin scores 5 goals, but Backstrom has 1 assist and is elite at generating and suppressing chances, Backstrom was the better player in that game just because Ovechkin won't be able to score 5 every night?

In any case, you're banking on the fact that the Tampa line is going to slow down significantly. I personally wouldn't bank on it, Kucherov just scored 40 last year without a top line. Which brings us back to what these lines are good at. Tampa line will be able to score on a consistent basis no matter what type of game it is. Leafs line will continue to be good all-around but will have inconsistent finish. In a game where only goals count, you can't say the Leafs line is clear cut better just because they generate more chances.

If it all was as simple as you make it out to be, Caps would've beaten the Pens last year. Maybe there was a moral victory somewhere.
A better example would be player A spends 90% of the game in his defensive end and allows a goal against, but he scores a goal from a lucky bounce off a dump in from the neutral zone. Player B spends 90% of the game in opponent's end, especially buzzing around their net and getting multiple high quality chances, but neither scores nor allows a goal. I'd prefer player B and bet on him going forward.

This is a game where only goals count, but they count at both ends of the ice. Right now the Leafs line is better at both. It doesn't mean the TB line isn't talented though obviously

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
A better example would be player A spends 90% of the game in his defensive end and allows a goal against, but he scores a goal from a lucky bounce off a dump in from the neutral zone. Player B spends 90% of the game in opponent's end, especially buzzing around their net and getting multiple high quality chances, but neither scores nor allows a goal. I'd prefer player B and bet on him going forward.

This is a game where only goals count, but they count at both ends of the ice. Right now the Leafs line is better at both. It doesn't mean the TB line isn't talented though obviously

huh?

Tampa line: 6GP: 10G-15A-25P: 1.67GPG, 4.17PPG

Toronto Line: 5GP: 8G-7A-15P: 1.6GPG, 3PPG

How is that even close? The Tampa line has 10 more points in 1 more game, do you need help explaining what "only goals count" means? The Tampa lines possession numbers are ridiculous right now along with their production.

Reactions: Riddum

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
huh?

Tampa line: 6GP: 10G-15A-25P: 1.67GPG, 4.17PPG

Toronto Line: 5GP: 8G-7A-15P: 1.6GPG, 3PPG

How is that even close? The Tampa line has 10 more points in 1 more game, do you need help explaining what "only goals count" means? The Tampa lines possession numbers are ridiculous right now along with their production.
why did you cut out the part that they count at both end of the ice to try to pretend like I contradicted myself? a line that allows 2 goals and scores 3 isn't better than a line that scores 2 and allows 0

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
why did you cut out the part that they count at both end of the ice to try to pretend like I contradicted myself? a line that allows 2 goals and scores 3 isn't better than a line that scores 2 and allows 0

I didn't need to do anything, you did contradict yourself, Leafs line isn't better at scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad