Best line in the league? Kucherov-Stamkos-Namestnikov?

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
it's a tremendous combo. the getzlaf-perry and marchand-bergeron lines are worthy of noting as well, with the marchand-bergeron-pastrnak line being a top 3 possession line in the league all season long (cf%), as well as one of the most productive last season.

i think it'll be hard to choose between that one and the matthews lines for #1 this season, just watching them. kucherov-stamkos is scary. tampa's an exciting team.

Reactions: northeastern

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander has been dominant. Kucherov - Stamkos - Namestikov is right there with them though. Toss up but I think the Matthews line has a high xG.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Aside from their offensive production, Namestnikov-Stamkos-Kucherov are rocking a CF% of 58.11, 63.41, 55.49 respectively, with Rel numbers of 10.77, 19.75, 7.49.

They're tilting the ice right now, even considering Stamkos' hesitance for shooting. Also - all of Kucherov's goals so far have come EV.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I believe the opposition shits their pants more when the Hyman Matthews Nylander line is rolled out.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
I believe the opposition ****s their pants more when the Hyman Matthews Nylander line is rolled out.
That's true. I get a similar feeling of Nervousness as the Ovi Backstrom line circa 2008. Everytime they're on the ice, they create quality chances.

TheJudge

Mar 11, 2007
Not necessarily in order, I'd have the top lines in the league as:

Namestnikov - Stamkos - Kucherov
Benn - Seguin - Radulov
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Maroon - McDavid - Draistaitl
Forsberg - Johansen - Arvidsson
Giroux - Couturier - Voracek (admittedly small sample size)
Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak (although Bergeron hasn't played yet this year)
Ovechkin - Kuznetsov/Backstrom - Oshie
Ehlers - Schiefele - Laine / Wheeler

I tried to keep it to lines that actually mostly play together. You could also add in Kessel - Crosby - Malkin, Saad - Toews - Kane etc. for when teams decide to load the top line on occasion.

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Saad-Toews-Panik is pretty damn good right now. If I remember correctly, they've been on the ice for 7 goals for and only 1 against at even strength. Saad has 8pts in 6 games, while Panik and Toews each have 6. They've also been damn good defensively. That line has looked very similar to Saad-Toews-Hossa from a few years ago.

Reactions: ColdSteel2 and MJ65

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Not necessarily in order, I'd have the top lines in the league as:

Namestnikov - Stamkos - Kucherov
Benn - Seguin - Radulov
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Maroon - McDavid - Draistaitl
Forsberg - Johansen - Arvidsson
Giroux - Couturier - Voracek (admittedly small sample size)
Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak (although Bergeron hasn't played yet this year)
Ovechkin - Kuznetsov/Backstrom - Oshie
Ehlers - Schiefele - Laine / Wheeler

I tried to keep it to lines that actually mostly play together. You could also add in Kessel - Crosby - Malkin, Saad - Toews - Kane etc. for when teams decide to load the top line on occasion.
The Jets line is with Wheeler, not Laine. With Laine, that line was very meh. Since Laine was demoted and replaced with Wheeler, that line has been on fire and the jets have started winning hockey games. Just like the end of last season with Laine's rightful demotion off the top line

TheJudge

Mar 11, 2007
That's fair, but I am factoring in more than just this season. Laine has still taken more shifts with Schiefele and Ehlers than any other combo since he came into the league - and was effective for a good portion of them. I would agree that Wheeler has been more impactful with those two recently though.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ryan-Brassard-Stone are a combined +23 with 16 points.

You know, because everyone is naming their own team's lines.

But yes, it's the Washington line.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Giroux-Couturier-Voracek has been really good so far.

22 points in 5 games, with the first 4 being on the road and the 5 games being against SJ, LA, ANA, NASH, and WASH.

Reactions: Peanut and bauer

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
The Jets line is with Wheeler, not Laine. With Laine, that line was very meh. Since Laine was demoted and replaced with Wheeler, that line has been on fire and the jets have started winning hockey games. Just like the end of last season with Laine's rightful demotion off the top line

ESL was the hottest line in the league last season until Mo broke it up. This year the Jets are winning games on the back of Hellebuyck. Nice try though.

Reactions: Belhammer16

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Pleased to see other fans enjoying some of our hockey players.

In my opinion the best line in the league at the moment is the Washington one.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander is not in this conversation and i'm a leaf fan. Hyman brings this line down to much. He has 2 points. I get he creates space, but when your talking "BEST" line, the marginal difference is so minimal this really is the difference.

Ovie and Kucherov are the best lines right now.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander is not in this conversation and i'm a leaf fan. Hyman brings this line down to much. He has 2 points. I get he creates space, but when your talking "BEST" line, the marginal difference is so minimal this really is the difference.

Ovie and Kucherov are the best lines right now.
in terms of two way dominance it is the Matthews line so far. They've been the best at both ends of the ice

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
What a dominant line. You can tell Stammer isn't back to form yet, but they're still so great.

Whenever they're on the ice, it's their show. They control the play.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander is much better. Look at their xGF/60. It's not even close. I'm not sure how you could just ignore the best line in the league.

Reactions: authentic

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Aside from their offensive production, Namestnikov-Stamkos-Kucherov are rocking a CF% of 58.11, 63.41, 55.49 respectively, with Rel numbers of 10.77, 19.75, 7.49.

They're tilting the ice right now, even considering Stamkos' hesitance for shooting. Also - all of Kucherov's goals so far have come EV.

They are getting 60%+ offensive zone starts i'd hope their possession metrics were good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad