best hands ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
KOVALEV10 said:
Lafleur, Beliveau, Lemieux, Savard, Jagr, Bure, Kovalev.

Pretty strong list. From what i've seen in the QJMHL, Crosby has the better hands i've seen for a junior player. Let's hope he'll take them to the NHL.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
From the inner arcs of the faceoff circles to the net, Pierre Larouche was unreal. Great hands. Never interested in much outside of that area, but what hands.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Weztex said:
Pretty strong list. From what i've seen in the QJMHL, Crosby has the better hands i've seen for a junior player. Let's hope he'll take them to the NHL.
He does indeed. That was the first thing I noticed about him, too.

My vote goes to Mario, though.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Savard or Lemieux (not Claude) - I can't go beyond those two. A case could be made for Bobby Orr, but since I never saw him play, I just CAN'T answer Orr.

Have to add Gretzky, Perreault and Oates here. Oates had some of the softest passing hands the game has ever seen. Perreault's hands were often underestimated, but he had a very quick release on both passes and shots. Remember that Gretz had very soft hands around the net when he wasn't looking to pass. When he was, those fluttery passes over sticks, through feet, and past the reach of defenders found their mark far, far too often to just be luck.

For current players Kovalev should be mentioned as should Jagr. My choices are Joe Sakic and Mats Sundin. I haven't seen anyone who can switch from forehand to backhand quicker than Sundin. A lost art that. As for Sakic, well, he's in here for that wrist shot of his that exists in a class all its own.

In a seperate category for garbage hands you'd have to look and Andreychuk and Holmstrom. If you make your living in front of the net, you need good hands because you do not have a lot of room to work with. Though it should be noted that neither of those fellows could touch a guy like Tim Kerr or the all-time world champion of goals from the top of the crease; Phil Esposito.

KOVALEV10*

Malefic74 said:
Have to add Gretzky, Perreault and Oates here. Oates had some of the softest passing hands the game has ever seen. Perreault's hands were often underestimated, but he had a very quick release on both passes and shots. Remember that Gretz had very soft hands around the net when he wasn't looking to pass. When he was, those fluttery passes over sticks, through feet, and past the reach of defenders found their mark far, far too often to just be luck.

For current players Kovalev should be mentioned as should Jagr. My choices are Joe Sakic and Mats Sundin. I haven't seen anyone who can switch from forehand to backhand quicker than Sundin. A lost art that. As for Sakic, well, he's in here for that wrist shot of his that exists in a class all its own.

In a seperate category for garbage hands you'd have to look and Andreychuk and Holmstrom. If you make your living in front of the net, you need good hands because you do not have a lot of room to work with. Though it should be noted that neither of those fellows could touch a guy like Tim Kerr or the all-time world champion of goals from the top of the crease; Phil Esposito.

What about Steve Shutt then?

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Peter25 said:
Sergei Makarov and Vladimir Krutov. These two had the best hands I have ever seen in a hockey player.
What about Kharlamov, I only saw tapes, but my god :eek: .
Also, gretzky and Lemieux should be mentionned for this one. I think Mario had the best though.

For current players, Kovalev is an old school russian player, I dont think anyone in the league can do what he does. Even Lemieux said as much.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Bure didn't have the pure hands of a Lemieux type, but he could do every single move at a ridiculous speed, which is what made him so damn good.

KOVALEV10 said:
What about Steve Shutt then?

Yeah, you could probably make a case for Shutt. Shutt wasn't exclusively a garbageman though like the others and I think Lafleur had the best hands on that line. Shutt certainly had good hands but he was certainly helped by all the perfect passes he got from Flower. The same would go for Kurri when paired with Gretz.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Gotta go with Kovalev in today's game, even though he falls in love with his stickhandling sometimes and turns the puck over.

Otherwise, the guys mentioned here seem pretty accurate to me. Can't disagree with any of them.

Beliveau, of course, in his day was clearly the man. Lots of good stickhandlers back then though with the straight blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->